Will Air America be OFF The Air in New York Soon?

Sonar5

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Sonar5
Will Air America be OFF The Air in New York Soon?

Seems like this article is saying that..

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/60684.htm

March 7, 2006 -- AIR America is close to losing its New York flagship station - knocking Al Franken and his liberal colleagues off the air on their second anniversary.

The network has a two-year lease with WLIB (AM 1190) that is reportedly set to expire April 1 - and at least one reliable report says it is "extremely likely" the deal will not be renewed.

Losing its New York outlet would be a serious blow to the fledgling liberal radio network. "Radio Equalizer" blogger Brian Maloney - who blew the whistle on questionable loans to the lefty network last year - published the first report that WLIB was on the verge of evicting Air America some time soon.

Air America's options for a new home are not promising. All of the city's other strong-signal stations are spoken for, leaving only weak-signal "fringe" stations that do not cover the entire city and suburbs.

Air America parent Piquant LLC has reportedly been paying Inner City Broadcasting - controlled by former Manhattan Borough President Percy Sutton and his son, Pierre - $2.5 million a year to air Franken and others.
An Air America spokeswoman told The Post, "It's business as usual," and declined further comment.

Air America got unwanted headlines last year when it was learned that previous management had received what investigators called an "inappropriate" $875,000 loan - since repaid - from a Bronx charity.
Calls to Inner City execs were not returned.

The leading contenders to take over the WLIB lease are former Clear Channel exec Randy Michaels, who syndicates competing lefty talker Ed Schultz, and the new Radio One black-focused talk network that includes Rev. Al Sharpton.

I thought that loan issue was quite humerous especially coming from the source that it did.

They should have pulled their non-profit status as well, IMHO.

So how is Air America doing lately... Don't hear too much about their ratinsg which have been dismal at best.

I could care less, I don't live in New York. Radio pretty much stinks anyways these days too much hatred or too many commercials, and no good music.

That's why I have xm..... :)

xstream info

xstreamer.12.FF9900.sonar5.png

Sonar5 said:
That's why I have xm..... :)
So that you can listen to Air America even if it is taken off of your local broadcast station??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have been toying with the idea of Sat-radio but I think I'll stick with my iPod for now.

For me, I am on the road 3 days a week or so, and so this was my Christmas present from my wife.

I don't listen to air america, I do occasionally listen to family talk or the right radio stations, but mostly Highway 16, Torch, or The fish.

Sonar5 said:
So how is Air America doing lately... Don't hear too much about their ratinsg which have been dismal at best.
I recently heard that they are number 11 in San Diego. Up from about 30 when they first started.

Air America? Wasn't that the CIA airline in S.E. Asia?

Anthony said:
Air America? Wasn't that the CIA airline in S.E. Asia?
My first flight in GA was in a Baron by a forest service contract pilot who later went on to fly in SE Asia for Air America. I went off to the Navy and lost track of him when he came back, so never got to talk to him about it.

Air America went off the air in Chicago for a few months when the check that they issued as payment for airtime bounced.

You can - occaisionally, allegedly, intermittently - get the Air America shows as podcasts. You just have to find out which feed is actually being maintained. At one point when iTunes first jumped on the podcast bandwagon, they had most of the AA shows listed.

Isn't Al Franken still rebroadcasted on the Sundance Channel?

jkaduk said:
I recently heard that they are number 11 in San Diego. Up from about 30 when they first started.

I think it's funny their call letters down here are KLSD....

k....LSD... Now that is appropriate.

Of course some will say the L stands for Liberal and the SD San diego, but whomever thought up those letters sure has a sense of humor.

As for ratings in SD....

Getting excited about being 11th or even 7th is hardly newsworthy, IMHO, but when that is all you got, I guess you run with it.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/01/18/entertainment/radio/11806110410.txt

KLSD still has only a fraction of the listeners of its main conservative rivals, KOGO and KFMB-AM. But somehow, in a matter of months, Al Franken & Co. managed to boost their share of audience from 1.8 percent to 3.1 percent and land in 11th place.

But the radio news wasn't all good for lefty types. According to the Arbitron ratings, which rely on listener surveys, news-talk station KOGO remains the most popular station in town, gaining back the listeners it mysteriously lost last summer when it slipped to fourth place.

In fact, KOGO's midday and afternoon talk show hosts ---- Limbaugh, Mark Larson and Hedgecock ---- are all No. 1 in their time slots (KLSD is seventh in both, a bit behind KFMB-AM.)

Here are the top 10 commercial stations (KPBS, KSDS and Palomar College's KKSM aren't included) and their average percentage of the local radio audience:

KOGO (5.2), Star 94.1 and KyXy (4.6), KiFM (4.4), KSON (4.0), KGB (3.8), Channel 933 (3.7), KFMB-AM (3.6), Rock 105.3 (3.5) and La Nueva/KLNV (3.4)

Sonar5 said:
Getting excited about being 11th or even 7th is hardly newsworthy, IMHO, but when that is all you got, I guess you run with it.
Going from nearly last to above the middle of the pack in about a year in conservative San Diego (the place that gave you the Dukester) seems pretty impressive to me.

jkaduk said:
Going from nearly last to above the middle of the pack in about a year in conservative San Diego (the place that gave you the Dukester) seems pretty impressive to me.

John they are not even in the Top ten....

But hey take the victory where you can get it if you consider it one.

I just find it humerous when a station with 3.1% Listeners consider it a great thing being 11th.

I just don't consider going from last to middle or 11th, any great feat. I consider it normal business.

Anyway, let's see what happens in New York, as that was the thrust of the thread. Thanks for the comments. :)

Back