Wichita to San Antonio in a 172

jfrye01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jacob Frye
Due to my brother being a college athlete, I have a reason to travel to San Antonio in September. Rather than driving 11 hours or so, I have decided to pack up the humble little Skyhawk for the five hour flight. Now to my question: What is the best airport to use in the San Antonio area? I'm planning on just using Signature at SAT. My fuel stop will be Stephenville, TX, so I can eat some BBQ...any suggestions??
Thanks!!

Once at KSEP, either walk toward/past the hangars to get to the Hard8, or call them (number on the door of the terminal) and they will come out to get you.

On your return trip, if you can stop in at Denton KDTO for fueling and break, Bryan (SixPappaCharlie) and I can arrange to find you and keep you company for a bit.

Stephenville, TX BBQ is the Hard Eight 254-968-5552. Call and they will pick you up.

KSSF Stinson Muni is GA friendly and much cheaper gas than KSAT.

If you use KSAT I like Landmark Aviation. The facility Fee was less than Signature.

Be advised that San Antonio has a lot of low ceiling days for some unknown reason. I had a kid in collage there and every time I flew in for a visit it had to be IFR.

Once at KSEP, either walk toward/past the hangars to get to the Hard8, or call them (number on the door of the terminal) and they will come out to get you.

On your return trip, if you can stop in at Denton KDTO for fueling and break, Bryan (SixPappaCharlie) and I can arrange to find you and keep you company for a bit.
That would be great! Last time I was in the Metroplex, I landed at Hicks, but noticed DTO had lower 100LL prices...also seemed to be a little easier to get in/out of (T67 lies under Class B )

also seemed to be a little easier to get in/out of (T67 lies under Class B )

So is Denton.

But if you're IFR or VFR FF, either airport is easy to get in and out of. If you're on your game with radio and flying skills, Regional Approach is easy to work with.

Cleburn CPT has cheap gas normally too.

Does Hard 8 not have the golf carts sitting by the tie downs anymore?

Does Hard 8 not have the golf carts sitting by the tie downs anymore?

Unfortunately no. The privilege got abused (either the carts got trashed or were being operated on the highway) by other pilots. So they were removed.

Now they send over one of the cute girls driving a grey Saturn Vue. When you're ready to return to the airport, just tell the cashier.

I flew to Stinson (SSF) last week. They're just below SAT. The field is nice but the FBO is difficult to find. It's not the terminal below the tower, like I thought it would be.

Approach vectored me in without issues. I was coming in from the north.

Stephenville, TX BBQ is the Hard Eight 254-968-5552. Call and they will pick you up.

KSSF Stinson Muni is GA friendly and much cheaper gas than KSAT.

If you use KSAT I like Landmark Aviation. The facility Fee was less than Signature.

Be advised that San Antonio has a lot of low ceiling days for some unknown reason. I had a kid in collage there and every time I flew in for a visit it had to be IFR.
Mainly low ceilings in the mornings, but not so much this time of year. It has to do with moisture flowing in off of the Gulf and being cooler in the mornings.

SEP is a great stop. Tell Todd and Bill at the FBO hello.

Hard-8, Cazadores, Grumps. Great food stop.

Gainesville has very inexpensive fuel too.

SEP is a great stop. Tell Todd and Bill at the FBO hello.

Hard-8, Cazadores, Grumps. Great food stop.

Gainesville has very inexpensive fuel too.

Thanks for these tips, I'll remember that...seems that most everywhere south of me has lower fuel prices. My home airport (1K1 just outside of Wichita is pushing the $6 mark :yikes: )

u can stop in at Denton KDTO for fueling and break, Bryan (SixPappaCharlie) and I can arrange to find you and keep you company for a bit.

a truly terrifying thought...:D

On your way back from San Antonio, fuel up at AQO (Llano) They often have the cheapest fuel in the state. I have heard rumors of good BBQ out there too.

When is the flight? There is a good chance that any given weekend, a handful of the DFW group will trek out to KSEP and join you assuming you are up for company.

I was thinking about flying into Denton this weekend for lunch, possibly Saturday. Anybody going to be around?

If your short field tech is up to the task, you can use T94 Twin Oaks. 2200' with NO overrun area. Land to the NW and take off to the SE. Notify appr of your destination. They used to have cheap fuel, but don't know anymore. Call and get the gate code.

I've used Landmark and been happiest with them. They give Cloud Nine a fuel discount when we go.

I was thinking about flying into Denton this weekend for lunch, possibly Saturday. Anybody going to be around?

I will be around. What time will you be here?

Can confirm a good price on fuel at GLE. As of this morning, it was $4.56 SS. That's about $.50 cheaper than DTO

(Bryan, I did an IFR ride with Brandon. Good instructor. Told me to say howdy to you)

On your way back from San Antonio, fuel up at AQO (Llano) They often have the cheapest fuel in the state. I have heard rumors of good BBQ out there too.

When is the flight? There is a good chance that any given weekend, a handful of the DFW group will trek out to KSEP and join you assuming you are up for company.

Friendliest airport I've been to in Texas, so far. :) And...gas is usually pretty cheap there - certainly the cheapest within 100 miles of my home airport.

They always have cars - I know they have about 3-4 cars right now...fly in, sign-in for a car and drive about 5 minutes to Coopers BBQ. One of the best in the state. If it's a fri-sun...try to not to hit it lunchtime rush or you could wait an hour or so in line...

Fly safe!

Llano is a good airport. Flew my first regional soaring contest there. Larry is a cool guy. Cooper's is tasty too.

I like Bulverde (1T8) , but it sits in a hole( freaks some folks out). If you land at KSAT, there is a good pilot shop across the street.

I will be around. What time will you be here?

Can confirm a good price on fuel at GLE. As of this morning, it was $4.56 SS. That's about $.50 cheaper than DTO

(Bryan, I did an IFR ride with Brandon. Good instructor. Told me to say howdy to you)
Looking at arriving around 11am-ish. Would be cool to meet some folks from PoA. This is, of course, weather dependent.

how long are you here?
And also where do you fly out of?

Say type aircraft ant tail#

how long are you here?
And also where do you fly out of?
We'll be there for about half a day and then head back in the late afternoon. Will be coming in from the west, El Paso area. I fly a Mooney M20C.

5C1 (Boerne Stage) Is where I would recommend, however KBAZ (New Braunfels) and KHYI (San Marcos) would also be good choices.

Lots of good gouge, but we still do not know where in San Antonio the OP needs to be; and that affects the airport recommendation materially.

Back