Wichita Airports?

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
We have tentative plans to make a flight from the OKC area to meet friends for a quick dinner in Wichita sometime next week. It seems there are a number of airport options to choose from there. Which one would be most suitable in terms of being fairly close to a decent restaurant and ease of access all-around? Any tips and/or suggestions appreciated!

How about Beech airport on Webb Rd on the east side of town. I haven't been there in a few years but there are a few nice restaurants just 1 mile up the road in a nice area near a small lake. One was called Bonefish, a very nice place.

I do research on the Air-Nav site. Once you see exactly where you want to go, look at the pros & cons of the 2-3 closest airports. The weather on the particular day may factor in the choice too.

i don't think Beech Field is available for transient traffic. you have to have a badge to get out of the property...

ICT or AAO are your best bets, depending on which side of town you want. There are good restaurants closer to ICT (Hangar One Steakhouse is on the approach of 19L). Park at Yingling, they have good service and actually decently priced self serve fuel if you're in need.

OR you could fly in to Stearman Field at Benton (1K1), they have a good restaurant on the field OR you could land over at Beaumont and enjoy food at the hotel after you taxi through town.

OR you could land over at Beaumont and enjoy food at the hotel after you taxi through town.
I still have the turn signal kit around here somewhere that I installed on the plane for my last trip to Beaumont. He's welcome to borrow it. :)

ICT doesn't look half bad. I was wondering if it was GA friendly and that appears to be the case. Thanks for the tips!

yep its an easy airport to get in and out of GA. A fair amount of Cessna and some Lear flight test traffic and the occasional airliner. The former Cessna Employee Flying Club has relocated to Beech Field now so that will reduce the GA activity there quite a bit, especially in the morning and early evenings.

Back