Why medical testing required for FAA special issuance not covered by health insurance

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
If it is covered by health insurance, I think it would make the medical testing more affordable and may incline pilots to continue pursuing getting special issuances, instead of giving up and getting their medical denied or revoked. I think many pilots give up pursuing special issuance for medicals because most medical testing required by the FAA to get special issuance is not covered by health insurance, and healthcare as we know is very expensive.

Re: Why medical testing required for FAA special issuance not covered by health insur

Your insurer doesn't care about whether you get a special issuance or not. They only want to cover what is either medically necessary or preventive to detect/prevent problems in the future. Your medical and any hoops needed to get it are "occupational" and aren't in that coverage.

Re: Why medical testing required for FAA special issuance not covered by health insur

That was a blanket statement which doesn't apply to everyone. It depends on the test and your insurance benefits.

That was a blanket statement which doesn't apply to everyone. It depends on the test and your insurance benefits.
And the reason for getting the test.

And the reason for getting the test.
True but I know I had at least one test that I don't think was medically necessary. The receptionist at the Dr's office asked if I had insurance or if I was a cash customer. I said I had insurance but I doubted they would pay. She said to try anyway and they did. They even refunded the co-pay later because I was past my out-of-pocket limit. The test wasn't that expensive anyway, but I was surprised.

If it is covered by health insurance, I think it would make the medical testing more affordable and may incline pilots to continue pursuing getting special issuances...

Sorry to say, this premise is the reason health insurance is so expensive. Forcing insurance companies to cover tests and procedures needed solely to qualify for an FAA medical would make things more affordable for pilots, but incrementally more expensive for everyone else.

Insurance companies don't pay for anything. Costs for new benefit increases are spread out among all policyholders. And now, we have limited ability to opt out of coverage for a specific issue to save on premiums.

Very true. My very first 3rd class medical was deferred and the FAA required a stress echo as a condition for an SI. There was absolutely no medical indication for it and in fact the cardiologist interpreting the test put down "FAA requirement" as the reason for the test. But my insurance paid for it in full. I'm actually not sure why they did, come to think of it.

Insurance paid for all the tests I needed for my SI. They pay for the AME office visits too. Insurance usually pays for medically necessary tests, just not bureaucratcly required tests.

We most all have experience with real doctors scratching their heads wondering why the FAA want's this or that test. Yes, unnecessary tests raise the costs for everybody, but the FAA doesn't care......

Because of a motorcycle accident I had the FAA got the idea I might have had a heart attack. I didn't need an SI, but they wanted a 24 hour Holter heart monitor, a treadmill stress test, and an ultrasound movie of my heart.

My family doc set all this up and my insurance paid for most of it.

It turns out I have a very healthy heart, pretty much a heart of gold! :goofy:

Why would a health care insurer want to help you engage in a risky hobby ?

And expanding the items covered by "insurance" does anything but make it affordable. As many people are finding out this year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back