Why is my iPad constantly crashing?

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Especially Safari, several times an hour Safar will just shut down and lose anything written.

Typically Safari iOS crashes for me seem to happen when I've got a website open on a tab (even if not the foreground tab) that has a bunch of Javascript/animation/advertising crap going on. Of course, that's almost every commercial website these days, so YMMV.

Keeping applications that are "sleeping" to a minimum seems to generally make the iPad more stable, too... the thing where you double-click the home button, then press and hold any icon in the background and wait until they jiggle and have red X's on them, then close all of them all the way down.

Definitely do NOT see hourly crashes though. More like once a day, maybe, if that. And almost always on some crazy website with tons of sidebar junk going on.

Most of my iPad crashes are while composing a post in an open text box on a VBulletin message board -- POA, Purple or AOPA. I've taken to composing posts in Pages and copying them over to the message board when I'm done.

Oh thank god. Everyone has internet crashes on the iPad. I thought it was only me.

Oh, but...but...but...it's Apple, it's supposed to to be good enough to fly IFR with...:rolleyes: My MS equipment still beats my Apple gear for reliability.:yikes::D

Oh, but...but...but...it's Apple, it's supposed to to be good enough to fly IFR with...:rolleyes: My MS equipment still beats my Apple gear for reliability.:yikes::D

Don't worry Henning I won't walk over and bow down to apple. I just got it as a gift, I didn't pay my hard earned money for it. So for "free" it rocks. If foreflight was on an android tablet he would have gotten that instead.

Not sure what a web browser crash has to do with flying IFR?

But hey... no one's stopping you from making a fool of yourself claiming that MS makes your equipment. They only make an OS.

They do make keyboards, I guess... and mice.

Which MS "gear" would you use IFR?

Not sure what a web browser crash has to do with flying IFR?

But hey... no one's stopping you from making a fool of yourself claiming that MS makes your equipment. They only make an OS.

They do make keyboards, I guess... and mice.

Which MS "gear" would you use IFR?

It's the software that's crashing, that's MS equipment and Apple equipment comparison to me...:dunno:

It crashes on me in other situations besides Safari, it just shuts whatever down to the home screen. If I was using an iPad as some people claim to, I'd be in a bind.

It's the software that's crashing, that's MS equipment and Apple equipment comparison to me...:dunno:

It crashes on me in other situations besides Safari, it just shuts whatever down to the home screen. If I was using an iPad as some people claim to, I'd be in a bind.

WingX or Foreflight?

I've had a few crashes of FF and too many on one particular version, but I e-mailed them the crash logs, and only one crash in the version after that. It also recovers very gracefully right back to wherever it was when re-launched.

The latest crash was certainly caused by me messing around with pinch/zoom way too much on the chart while a data intensive overlay was turned on. (Radar)

Can't speak for WingX. Don't use it.

Still waiting to hear which MS hardware and software you'd trust IFR...

ChartCase Pro was pretty darn stable when I was using it, but there was NO reasonably portable hardware that would handle it. I was running it on an enormous Panasonic Toughbook.

When the company went cuckoo with their goofy "we patented drawing a line on a map" patent case, I swore them off.

Oh and MS cancelled the touchscreen/tablet version of their OS... that didn't help a whole lot either.

Back