Why I went to RKW

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I went to RKW Saturday to look at a new plane, what do you think?
Restoration started in 1996 finished in 2001, flies sweet.

Attachments

• 100_0583.JPG
    100_0583.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0604.JPG
    100_0604.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_0607.JPG
    100_0607.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 43
Dean I think she looks sweet.

I have always thought that the Stinson 108 (that is right, innit?) was a damned fine airplane.

If you buy it, you have to fly it to Gaston's, and I want a ride.

The wheels are in the right spot.

Buy it!

SCCutler said:
Dean I think she looks sweet.

I have always thought that the Stinson 108 (that is right, innit?) was a damned fine airplane.

If you buy it, you have to fly it to Gaston's, and I want a ride.

Yes it a Stinson 108-2, I am thinking Gastons and Oshkosh. If things go as planned, I hope to bring it home soon, if we get together on price.

It flies backwards and upside down?

hey dean!

after having flown a stinson 108-3 (N6252M) for over 15 years, i can say that you will never find a nicer handling taildragger than the stinson. :goofy: "mickey" was my first airplane and i loved every minute of it. i prefer the 108-3 to the "small tails" for their yaw stability and responsiveness but that's a nit.

try to find a mechanic with stinson background for your pre-buy/annual. the airframe is pretty straight forward, but the franklin needs someone who knows more than just continental/lycoming. in any case, be sure to get all the documentation availble from univair (they own the type certificate). also, join the Internation Stinson Club. a great group with lots of tribal knowledge and support. :yes:

also, from first hand experience, avoid anyone named Skaggs or Leamy with regard to maintainence or franklin work. contact me offline for a detailed explanation, but suffice to say these guys are criminals. :eek:

good luck and let us know how it turns out!

blue skies,

Sure is pretty. Dean, if you would like I can put you in touch with my brother in law who restored one 108 and currently owns another that he bought this summer. I think he's got a lot of valuable info about what to look for problem wise and he loves to talk airplanes.

Back