Why I hate Avidyne

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Because Avidyne sucks.

That's one of the most insightful posts I've seen in a while :)

I take it things aren't going well.... :rolleyes:

On the bright side, should be a nice weekend without much weather activity, so maybe XM won't have to much info for your system handle.

Because Avidyne sucks.

Too bad they weren't offering Garmins on the Matrix, eh? They had a G1000 option for the Saratogas briefly before they stopped making 'em.

I'm curious to ask Cirrus how many SR22's they've built with Avidynes since the Perspective system came out. The other manufacturers that offer the option of either glass system build VERY few with Avidyne.

I wonder if Eclipse would have fared better without 'em...

Now that Cirrus isn't exclusively Avidyne, I wouldn't be surprised if Avidyne is no longer around in a few years.

Is your DAU still acting up? I had an 06 Mirage that lost all of it's engine displays. It came back to life after resetting the DAU plug. It's worth a try.

Kevin

Same problem.

This time, I scrubbed a family trip to NH, where we were going to spend the weekend with several other couples and their kids at an amusement park and hiking the mountains.

Instead - no. Airlines are booked. You're insane if you think I'm driving! My wife didn't even suggest it. Tomorrow doesn't work any better, and we'd have to leave early on Sunday so it would be a 1 day trip. Were the kids sobbing?? Yeah, you betcha.

Same frickin' problem today. Tried the WX CB, tried just about every CB in the stupid plane. Nope. Nada. Nil. Nothing.

This time, Avidyne tells my people, "Oh, the MFD is failed. It's not software related. Yeah, it's a known issue. We're working on it." F'ING GREAT!!! Why didn't I get that answer on Monday, so the new unit could have been ordered and delivered in time for me to get it fixed for the trip? HOW HAVE THEY GOTTEN TO RELEASE 8 OF THE STUPID SYSTEM WITHOUT HAVING A FIXED??? And now they're releasing those totally new boxes for $75k retrofitting for Rel 9? How stupid do they think I am??!!!

My service guy said, "I don't think this will be the last MFD you replace." Guess I'm glad I got the extended warranty.

My 182 had almost 900hrs on a G1000 without any problems. This one made it only 100.7! I'm curious about what kind of MTBF rate they claim.

You know what they say about angry customers?? REally bad PR??? Well, Avidyne, congratulations -- you have an angry customer.

PS Thanks, Kevin. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe, if I'm really lucky, the plug just came loose. Hardly reassuring -- how hard is it to get a plug to clamp in and stay??? Still, we'll check that first when it's time for the new box.

Quoted from this guys website where he compares Avidyne and Garmin....

In 300 hours of using the Avidyne, I have experienced at least three total failures of the PFD and several total failures of the MFD. In more than 2000 hours of using Garmin GPS units and the G1000, I have never experienced any problems.

Well, hope things work out for you smoothly in a timely fashon,... :rolleyes: does that exist in aviation :rolleyes:

Andrew could you have gotten Christine and the girls up in the Seminole and then had Piper or Avedyne pay for the rental?

Ahhh what the hell was I thinking of course they won't reimburse you.

BTW have you asked Tom if he's experienced any failures in the Avidynes in his Archer or Cirrus planes?

My service guy said, "I don't think this will be the last MFD you replace." Guess I'm glad I got the extended warranty.

My 182 had almost 900hrs on a G1000 without any problems. This one made it only 100.7! I'm curious about what kind of MTBF rate they claim.

If they're smart, they don't claim it! :yikes:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050131X00119&key=1 said:
The airplane had approximately 98 hours of operation since being manufactured, and had a history of PFD failures.

According to maintenance records, the PFD was replaced on June 4, 2004, at 12.2 hours, on September 14, 2004, at 55.2 hours, and on December 20, 2004, at 80.6 hours.

Four PFD's in 98 hours, ending with a fatal crash in IMC. :nonod:

Sorry about your avionics woes, Andrew. That really is pathetic. I wouldn't tolerate it.

I've been amazed for the last 4 years that they're still in business. I'm surprised that nobody has sued them into oblivion yet. Their product is so crappy I'm amazed they get product liability insurance.

Andrew could you have gotten Christine and the girls up in the Seminole and then had Piper or Avedyne pay for the rental?

Ahhh what the hell was I thinking of course they won't reimburse you.

BTW have you asked Tom if he's experienced any failures in the Avidynes in his Archer or Cirrus planes?

Wx was going to be very low, with storms in area. No way I would fly without stormscope and wx in cockpit, in a plane I haven't flown in 8mos.

I'm going to talk to Tom about his experience. I'm curious, with 5 Cirri and an Avidyne Archer, what he's seen.

Andrew,

Been reading this horror story and feel terrible for you. THAT SUCKS! I hope Avidyne makes it right and gets their act together if only to give Garmin some competition.

Sometimes I'm glad I have a relatively low tech plane with steam guages, VOR's and a hardwired handheld GPS 195.

I'm curious to ask Cirrus how many SR22's they've built with Avidynes since the Perspective system came out.

I was advised by a Cirrus calesman that 98-99% of their orders are Garmin - despite the much higher aircraft cost - some $40k more, IIRC.

I don't have any Avidyne kit, but have been keeping half an eye out on replacing my KLN94 and one of the two KX radios (155A+165A) with a GNS530W, and then the KMD550 might be worth replacing with an EX5000. But if the EX5000 is as "reliable" as all the other Avidyne stuff I read about, I won't bother. My 1990s B/King kit has been very good (except the KFC225 ;) ).

I was advised by a Cirrus calesman that 98-99% of their orders are Garmin - despite the much higher aircraft cost - some $40k more, IIRC.

I don't have any Avidyne kit, but have been keeping half an eye out on replacing my KLN94 and one of the two KX radios (155A+165A) with a GNS530W, and then the KMD550 might be worth replacing with an EX5000. But if the EX5000 is as "reliable" as all the other Avidyne stuff I read about, I won't bother. My 1990s B/King kit has been very good (except the KFC225 ;) ).

Well, you know what I would tell you......:smile:

That sucks about your problems

I flew a Cirrus that had to have all screens replaced twice...they claimed it was a sensativity to heat and extreme cold. Cirrus rerouted our heating lines to "fix" the problem and we also found that Cirrus hadnt even wired the plane right..all kind of electrical relays and other crap were wired wrong...but when it came down to it AVIDYNDE IS THE WORST SCUM OF THE EARTH IN AVIATION if you ever have to work with them

Doesn't surprise me. :no: Back when Columbia offered the option, they were similarly nearly 100% Garmin. Diamond offered the option until late 2007, and they only ever built *one* airplane with the Avidyne.

The market has spoken... And the news ain't good for Piper, since they're the last exclusively-Avidyne manufacturer left now that they're not building 'togas any more. What's the PiperJet supposed to have? :dunno:

I've seen that statement, by Cirrus, in some recent statement or video, but a quick Google search hasn't turned it up, yet.

Beyond the higher cost, the Garmin has a significant weight penalty compared to the Avidyne system, too, yet people are still ordering Garmin over Avidyne. I guess Avidyne's reputation has been solidified in the market.

http://cirrusaircraft.com/about/news/pdf/09.01.AviationConsumer.pdf said:
Note that the Perspective system is heavier than the Avidyne system by a whopping 50 pounds in its fullest configuration.

Just noticed, on a side note, that the web url they used to use (CirrusDesign.com) now redirects to a new domain (CirrusAircraft.com). That's a good change.

Andrew as I think about it the best thing I can tell you is be the squeaky wheel with not just Avidyne but also Piper. Pin them down. Dont' give them any outs. Annoy the living hell out of them. And although Piper may say its not our equipment IT IS. Get the aircraft sales company you dealt with in Maryland involved. Become their worst nightmare. Frankly speaking it may get you results faster than any lawsuit.

Andrew as I think about it the best thing I can tell you is be the squeaky wheel with not just Avidyne but also Piper. Pin them down. Dont' give them any outs. Annoy the living hell out of them. And although Piper may say its not our equipment IT IS. Get the aircraft sales company you dealt with in Maryland involved. Become their worst nightmare. Frankly speaking it may get you results faster than any lawsuit.

Do a Google search with the terms "avidyne sucks" and this thread comes up as the number one result.

avidynesucks.com is an available domain name...just sayin'...

Trapper John

Im wondering how those screens will look ten years down the road...I bet they rot right out of the panel

Do a Google search with the terms "avidyne sucks" and this thread comes up as the number one result.

avidynesucks.com is an available domain name...just sayin'...

Trapper John

Heh, heh, heh.

Yeah, the memory of a bad experience lingers long after, or something to that effect.

Trust me, Skytech is/are the good guys here. They have been ultra-responsive. They can only do so much, since they don't build the plane or the avionics, so they're in a bad spot. Still, I have nothing but praise for Skytech. A great operation, and one I recommend WITHOUT hesitation.

This bit from Philip Greenspun, who is a reliable source:

In 300 hours of using the Avidyne, I have experienced at least three total failures of the PFD and several total failures of the MFD. In more than 2000 hours of using Garmin GPS units and the G1000, I have never experienced any problems.
My friends who have the Avidyne MFD in their older Cirruses report that it is one of the least reliable components in the airplane, with units typically failing and requiring replacement on average every 150 hours.
In our Cirrus, the Avidyne PFD/MFD has been responsible for more time in the shop than any other system. Imagine if every time you needed a software update for your desktop computer you had to take the computer to a government-certified mechanic who would use tools to remove a portion of that computer and send it back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer would then perform a government-regulated software update and return the subunit, with a pile of government-required paperwork, to your government-certified mechanic. Your government-certified mechanic would reassemble your computer and return it to you with some logbook entries. That is what it is like to depend on an ambitious collection of computer software that is running behind the instrument panel of a certified aircraft.

Back