Why I didn't go see Diana today

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I didn't go to Diana's today. Diana really wanted me to come over, and so did Kim, and Brent, and Brian probably. I really did want to come see everybody but I wanted to go fly my glider more I guess.

Weather was forecast to be decent, although there was a strong south wind. often when the wind is too strong it breaks up the thermals and makes them unworkable. I could tell that a later than normal start was going to be necessary as the temps needed to get up in the mid to high 90's for the thermal height to be above 4000 feet or so. I went out to the gliderport about 11 AM to start getting things ready. glider preflighted, wings taped, canopy cleaned, water loaded, landout kit loaded, maps folded, trailer hooked up and lights checked, made sure we had everything we needed for putting the glider in the trailer. the list goes on and on. Another guy was giving rides in the Grob and reported choppy lift on his flight at noon. at 12:30 he reported that it was getting a little better and the towpilot concurred.

I took off at about 1:30. tow upwind was rough to begin with but then it started to smooth out. smooth air on tow is generally a bad sign but we were occasionally flying through some up and down. I took a 3000 foot tow, as on windy days it usually pays to be up high, where the thermals are more organized and it would give me more time to find a thermal before heading out.

Long story short I caught a thermal by the airport and milked it up to 5700 MSL, my high point for the day. called leah and told her to start heading north/northeast like we had planned and she hit the road.

I was making good speed. 20 mph winds meant that when I was circling I was still making progress on course and when I was cruising I was really cruising. I noticed a disturbing trend and that was that I kept getting lower and lower. Next few thermals I was able to squeek back up to 4500ish feet. Climb rates were dissapointing, mainly in the 1-200 fpm range. The lift was workable though and above 3500 or so it was actually pretty smooth. I was able to get the glider slowed way down which it doesnt always like to do. So even though I was barely climbing I was still climbing.

I kept clicking away the miles and soon found myself flying mainly between 3 and 4000 feet. Ground in this area was around 1200. Its pretty hilly too but there were enough hay fields and other areas that I was never too worried about having a place to land. Leah was doing a decent job of keeping up, although I was outrunning her.

Finally I had to land, after 2.5 hrs. Put it down in a grass/hay field just south of Alma, KS. Total distance was right about 97 statute miles. One of my longest flights yet. Groundspeed of 40ish mph sounds pretty slow but is pretty good for my old glider and for flying so damn low. Spent a LOT of time circling. I was starting to get dizzy. Here's a nice picture of me, out standing in my field ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03140.JPG
    DSC03140.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 271
Awesome, Tony!

So where is the OLC trace?!?!?!

BTW Cograts.

well Steve Leonard has offered to loan me a logger when he gets back. I think he's at the Region 10 contest in TX. Then I will have OLC traces. I was really wishing I would've had a barograph or something for this flight cause it was just so awfully low for so long. very frustrating. Just flying from hayfield to hayfield, waiting for the bottom to drop out, but then id hit a thermal, and on to the next hayfield.

and the ground in that part of KS is pretty hilly. would've been a great day for some RC Slope soaring.

Tony,

Great flight. Great report. I want to try doing that. Think Leah will come and pick me up?

Rick

Nice Tony!:thumbsup: Gotta ask, long sleeves in August?:loco: ;):D

Doesn't it get hot in there w/low airspeed?

That sounds like a lot of fun. How do farmers feel about that? Anyone ever been hostile towards you?

i always wear long sleeve shirts. white keeps you cool and helps with the sunburn. ive got a hole in the nose with a tube and it keeps enough air flowing to keep reasonably cool, as long as the air coming in is cool.

ive never had a farmer get grumpy, but i've never done any damage to crops or other property. most of them think it is pretty cool.

Tony,
You know that you have it made when Leah will crew for you on those flights. How long does it take to break down and trailer your Cherokee II? Tough job or easy for two? How long to unload and assemble for flight ready? I have only crewed for a Schweizer 2-33 and it is a good hour job for 3 and alot easier with 5.

Rick

Rick,

With some motivation and a little prep and when my trailer is in normal condition the Cherokee can be on the trailer and ready for the road in about 20 or 30 minutes. about the same time for ready to fly. Usually the times are long at the beginning of the season and get shorter towards the end. Practice pays off, very few gliders truly are monsters to assemble or derig if you are setup and ready.

At IVSM a guy was there with a Slingsby T49B Capstan. Its a monster, 2 seat side by side glider. Home for it is the worlds largest Cobra trailer. The owner had one man rigging set up for it and could have it assembled and ready to fly by himself in 20 minutes!

Back