Why I am starting a new aviation marketplace.

No. That is not why you are creating anything. That is a story you made up, that has nothing to do with reality nor your site at the moment.

I just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading a fictional story about someone wanting to buy a Cub, and you saying how you will only have the top listings anywhere.

Yawn.

Good luck with your Endeavors,seems that every few months someone,has a better idea. There are only so many ways to broker aircraft.

No. That is not why you are creating anything. That is a story you made up, that has nothing to do with reality nor your site at the moment.

I just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading a fictional story about someone wanting to buy a Cub, and you saying how you will only have the top listings anywhere.

Yawn.

I apologize that you didn't enjoy this, but this is not a made up story. This is a combination of two stories; I wrote it in the manner that I did to keep identities anonymous. This happens often.

This is the reason I am starting my business: I want to help make things more efficient for people.

And you are right, my site is not a marketplace yet. Do I not make that clear? It is a launch site. The full site will be ready on June 30.

How can I improve? What do you want to see out of this?

Barnstormers still free and have great traffic sold many things there, always give something back to the baroness, good luck with your adventure, but web design in this fashion won't get you rich, I hope I'm wrong and you make a killing, tough I won't be listing anything or paying to sell my own things, not seeing the point and we have at least 100 airplane market sites all ready :no:
Btw is not bad planes on bad websites, ****ty planes are every where, more I read on your site the more away I would stay :yes:

This form of marketing a yet-to-be-available market doesn't appeal to me. I don't know why not, but it doesn't.

This form of marketing a yet-to-be-available market doesn't appeal to me. I don't know why not, but it doesn't.

I understand what you mean! I'm starting to see that. The point was to get the name out there and get tips and hints from people. I like getting feedback while developing. I want to make this the best marketplace there is.

I'd rather see you create a web site that helps people find airplane partners or clubs. It could offer reviews of existing clubs or it could offer assistance on starting a club or partnership. I know you would get a lot of advice on things to-do/not-to-do for such a site.

OK, a suggestion:

Make certain that your site allows users to create an alert for particular planes and/or stuff, such that when something within their desired profile is listed for sale, the user can get a text / email alert.

I'd rather see you create a web site that helps people find airplane partners or clubs. It could offer reviews of existing clubs or it could offer assistance on starting a club or partnership. I know you would get a lot of advice on things to-do/not-to-do for such a site.

I would definitely like to add this feature eventually. This club will become more than just a marketplace eventually. Thanks for the tip!

OK, a suggestion:

Make certain that your site allows users to create an alert for particular planes and/or stuff, such that when something within their desired profile is listed for sale, the user can get a text / email alert.

That is an amazing idea. Thank you. This is why I am advertising while developing; so you guys can add suggestions and help develop it!

This!

I mean this to be constructive:

How do you plan on weeding out only the good planes? I just bought my first plane yesterday, and there was a lot of crap out there. The issue is, every owner thinks their airplane is a gem, even what it is obviously a turd. Pictures don't always tell the real story, and a video of an engine running doesn't say much either. I think you would need logbook information, and ratings of shops signing off on annuals.

There are too many places that will pencil whip annuals. You almost need a third party to check the plane for you. Maybe have an independent prebuy done on the plane before they are allowed to list? Something like that?

I mean this to be constructive:

How do you plan on weeding out only the good planes? I just bought my first plane yesterday, and there was a lot of crap out there. The issue is, every owner thinks their airplane is a gem, even what it is obviously a turd. Pictures don't always tell the real story, and a video of an engine running doesn't say much either. I think you would need logbook information, and ratings of shops signing off on annuals.

There are too many places that will pencil whip annuals. You almost need a third party to check the plane for you. Maybe have an independent prebuy done on the plane before they are allowed to list? Something like that?

Perfectly understandable. Here's my game plan.

Goal #1: Force people to be transparent with their aircraft enough to the point to see if the plane is even worth visiting or getting an inspection. I plan to satisfy this with logbook info, videos, pictures, etc. I am not trying to satisfy the need for a pre-buy inspection with this plan. I think all planes should get a pre-buy inspection, unless they are brand new.

Goal #2: Develop a network of trusted mechanics to be recommended for pre-buy inspections. This will be like an Angie's list for mechanics. I've heard horror stories of terrible pre-buy mechanics also.

Goal 1: They'll tell you whatever you want to hear. There's no money on the table and no contract, so how will you "force" anything? People lie.

Goal 2: Anyone can get that with a $30 membership in a type club for a month or by asking around.

Hard facts. Sorry.

Good luck with the launch. I don't like to be negative - but not sure it will be a big hit. With controller, barnstormers, trade-a-plane, etc- you've got quite an uphill battle.. but again, go for it!

Good luck with the launch. I don't like to be negative - but not sure it will be a big hit. With controller, barnstormers, trade-a-plane, etc- you've got quite an uphill battle.. but again, go for it!
My suggestion is not to try to compete head-on with the big guys, but develop a feature (or features) they don't do well, then if it catches on, they will buy you out.

I still think the main undeveloped feature is an aid to finding partners and clubs. The site could offer some sort of pre-qualification for those seeking a plane to assume part of, or it could offer an evaluation or unbiased review of the plane that is seeking a partner.

Another feature could be a database of options. When I read that the plane I was buying had a "magic hand" and a "Brittain" autopilot, I had no idea what they were or how old the were. I would have liked to have been able to clicked on the item and read a review (eg: Brittain is one of the original full featured APs, but it is of an older analog design as opposed to the newer digital designs. Support is still available but some parts may be difficult to find).

Goal 1: They'll tell you whatever you want to hear. There's no money on the table and no contract, so how will you "force" anything? People lie.

Goal 2: Anyone can get that with a $30 membership in a type club for a month or by asking around.

Hard facts. Sorry.

Yes people may lie, but is it easier to lie with pictures/video or with words. I'm not trying to have people sell sight unseen. I'm trying to make it easier for people to determine if a plane is worth even looking at in person.

And I just want to mainstream a network of mechanics. Just because something already exists does not mean that it cannot be improved.

My suggestion is not to try to compete head-on with the big guys, but develop a feature (or features) they don't do well, then if it catches on, they will buy you out.

I still think the main undeveloped feature is an aid to finding partners and clubs. The site could offer some sort of pre-qualification for those seeking a plane to assume part of, or it could offer an evaluation or unbiased review of the plane that is seeking a partner.

Another feature could be a database of options. When I read that the plane I was buying had a "magic hand" and a "Brittain" autopilot, I had no idea what they were or how old the were. I would have liked to have been able to clicked on the item and read a review (eg: Brittain is one of the original full featured APs, but it is of an older analog design as opposed to the newer digital designs. Support is still available but some parts may be difficult to find).

Really like this database idea for features! I don't know how to develop that kind of database, but I will look into it!

Also, this club feature is a good idea too. I would like to go further with this at some point.

I am not going to try to compete with the big guys, I am trying to do different things than them. I am not going to sell parts on my site, non-running aircraft, or services.

It will be a streamlined list of planes that people can expect to have fairly decent pictures and information provided.

As far as format Barnstormers and Trade-a plane are
good examples. Almost everything else is a joke.
Especially Controller ( I got offers to buy half-a-million birds almost every day from them).
And I am looking for PA-28 Warrior II, ha-ha.

What I do not understand is why everybody with buisness aspirations wants to become a successful middle man.
You are not going to provide any meaningful service or
earn significant amount of money, much less if you are trying to be honest.
If you want to be helpful offer ferry service and inspection on sight, appraisal and pick up buyer and take them to airplane they are interested in
for set price say, within Western states.

Yes people may lie, but is it easier to lie with pictures/video or with words. I'm not trying to have people sell sight unseen. I'm trying to make it easier for people to determine if a plane is worth even looking at in person.

And I just want to mainstream a network of mechanics. Just because something already exists does not mean that it cannot be improved.

Plenty of lovely photos of junk out there. Mechanics always make the joke that has some truth to it, "Pilots buy paint and avionics."

Photos aren't what makes an airplane sale to a serious buyer.

What do you offer the mechanics? Someone here recently bought an aircraft and had it inspired by one of the (arguably) top three Cessna mechanics in the country and the guy and his shop are booked months out. That mechanic doesn't need any more exposure or advertising.

I'm asking you tough questions that an investor might ask. No harm intended. I've seen a lot of people say they want to do "something different" than the already up and running businesses in multiple industries.

Websites are where people look for a quick list of possible candidates. Telephone and in person inspections are where the real sales are made. Or deals are negotiated.

Plenty of lovely photos of junk out there. Mechanics always make the joke that has some truth to it, "Pilots buy paint and avionics."

Photos aren't what makes an airplane sale to a serious buyer.

What do you offer the mechanics? Someone here recently bought an aircraft and had it inspired by one of the (arguably) top three Cessna mechanics in the country and the guy and his shop are booked months out. That mechanic doesn't need any more exposure or advertising.

I'm asking you tough questions that an investor might ask. No harm intended. I've seen a lot of people say they want to do "something different" than the already up and running businesses in multiple industries.

Websites are where people look for a quick list of possible candidates. Telephone and in person inspections are where the real sales are made. Or deals are negotiated.

Keep hitting me with these questions, because this is the stuff that I need to nail down... So thanks for that! :yes:

Obviously, I wanted to offer mechanics business. I know a lot of solid mechanics who aren't booked months in advance. They have a decent amount of work, but would appreciate extra business. I don't think I would be targeting the top mechanics, mostly because I don't have much to offer them.

I have not fully validated this idea yet. I have mostly been developing the classifieds section of my website. I was planning on focusing on the development of the mechanic database after the official launch date of the marketplace (June 30). If the idea does indeed turn out to be worth the effort, (found out by further market research), then the mechanic database will be released towards the end of the year.

x1000
I'm still mad at AOPA for killing the partnership site they had.

Back