Why I Almost Gave Up My IFR Rating- And How A Flight Simulator With Real ATC Saved Me

Flybob37

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Carpenter
I’ll try to make a long story short. I struggled to pass my IFR checkride...failed it twice before finally passing it the third time. It didn’t come easily to me, obviously. The extra tests (and related training) took me far, far over my budget and when all was said and done I had an IFR ticket and no money left to go use my “license to learn”.

It was somewhat depressing. I flew a few VFR flights over the next several months but did not fly IFR. Partly I couldn’t afford to rent a plane and an instructor, and partly I just didn’t feel like it.

Then I read about PilotEdge (www.pilotedge.net) and how they have Air Traffic Controllers in real time, set up like real life. You have to change frequencies as you travel through the system. They offer you shortcuts just the way it’s done in real life. There’s other airplanes on the frequency with you and sometimes you have to wait for a break to get in, just like in real life. It sounded like a way for me to practice and get better without spending a wad of money.

I had played around with Microsoft Flight Simulator X before and it was somewhat helpful for tracking VORs, setting up an approach, and all the planning stuff that goes into an IFR flight. The Beta testing of PilotEdge was up and running, but so far only supporting X-Plane’s flight simulator. At only $29 I figured it was worth trying out X-Plane. And it certainly was. I was able to get a Comanche set up nearly identical to my buddies airplane and then I got configured for PilotEdge.

The experiences I’ve had on PilotEdge have been far more profound than I expected. Each flight I’ve become more and more comfortable flying “in the system” and I’m a much better pilot because of it. The controllers are professional and treat you just like real life ATC.

I can practice as much as I want and I know that the next time I file IFR in real life, I’ll be far better prepared.

Last edited:
Re: Why I Almost Gave Up My IFR Rating- And How A Flight Simulator With Real ATC Save

Then I read about PilotEdge (www.pilotedge.net) and how they have Air Traffic Controllers in real time, set up like real life. You have to change frequencies as you travel through the system. They offer you shortcuts just the way it’s done in real life. There’s other airplanes on the frequency with you and sometimes you have to wait for a break to get in, just like in real life. It sounded like a way for me to practice and get better without spending a wad of money.

So what's the difference between this and VATSIM? Aside from the $20/month, I mean? :dunno:

Re: Why I Almost Gave Up My IFR Rating- And How A Flight Simulator With Real ATC Save

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } @font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }h4 { margin: 12pt 0in 3pt; page-break-after: avoid; font-size: 14pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }span.Heading4Char { font-family: Cambria; font-weight: bold; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } I’ll try to make a long story short. I struggled to pass my IFR checkride...failed it twice before finally passing it the third time. It didn’t come easily to me, obviously. The extra tests (and related training) took me far, far over my budget and when all was said and done I had an IFR ticket and no money left to go use my “license to learn”.

It was somewhat depressing. I flew a few VFR flights over the next several months but did not fly IFR. Partly I couldn’t afford to rent a plane and an instructor, and partly I just didn’t feel like it.

I had played around with Microsoft Flight Simulator X before and it was somewhat helpful for tracking VORs, setting up an approach, and all the planning stuff that goes into an IFR flight. The Beta testing of PilotEdge was up and running, but so far only supporting X-Plane’s flight simulator. At only $29 I figured it was worth trying out X-Plane. And it certainly was. I was able to get a Comanche set up nearly identical to my buddies airplane and then I got configured for PilotEdge.

The experiences I’ve had on PilotEdge have been far more profound than I expected. Each flight I’ve become more and more comfortable flying “in the system” and I’m a much better pilot because of it. The controllers are professional and treat you just like real life ATC.

I can practice as much as I want and I know that the next time I file IFR in real life, I’ll be far better prepared.

There are at least 2 identical systems (IVAO and VATSIM) that are much, much better, have more traffic and are free.

VATSIM works with X-Plane or FSX, which means it can be used in any Operating System.

I'll stick with free.

Nothing like a little gratuitous advertising.

Good thing I don't want to use them right now:

Network Status

controllers0 pilots0 drones354

I don't have any connection to X-Plane or PilotEdge. I had an extremely positive experience and shared it.

You know, some people are very happy with their government approach plates and others insist on Jeppesen.

Good thing I don't want to use them right now:

The network hasn't fully launched yet. For now, there is guaranteed ATC 3 nights a week. This will ramp up to 15x7 in the future. The network itself is available 24/7, so if you fly with a friend (anywhere in the world), the radio will work (all voice, no text).

FS9/X development is in the works.

The network costs nothing right now.

This is not a replacement or competitor to VATSIM, it offers something very different, and is geared towards student pilots, instrument students, or rated pilots looking to stay sharp. Those pilots benefit from guaranteed ATC coverage and quality.

Disclosure: I am associated with PE, but Bob is not.

I'm conflicted. If one has that much trouble dealing with the ATC system under IFR, well.....

I can see practice, sure, but this ain 't rocket science

I'm conflicted. If one has that much trouble dealing with the ATC system under IFR, well.....

I can see practice, sure, but this ain 't rocket science
Good for you. I, on the other hand, need improvement. Maybe others do too.

The experiences I’ve had on PilotEdge have been far more profound than I expected.

TVad-Enzyte-SmilingBob.jpg

I figured it was time to post an update on this.

The network launched with 15x7 on Oct 1, 2011. It's been featured in Computer Pilot, AOPA Pilot, IFR Magazine, Flying, and AW&ST. It has also been covered by many blogs, podcasts and radio shows.

There are a number of flight schools using it as well as college aviation programs. We're also doing:
- an implementation in Level 6 FTD's for a customer in Socal,
- an implementation for a large jet manufacturer for Human Factors testing with new avionics,
- providing ATC for a NASA study on pilot fatigue and upset recovery
- by invitation, a demo for a large NJ ATC facility that is interested in seeing if this could be used to improve on-the-job training for trainees that arrive from the academy, as there is a struggle at the facility for trainees to handle the mix of IFR and VFR operations

Bear in mind, it isn't just about learning to talk on the radio, it's about raising the workload in the sim to more closely match the workload encountered in the airplane. Case in point, check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMcZsJpvV8

Notice how much time is spent outside looking at the cockpit? Also notice that we build a picture of the airspace and notice that the guy ahead of us in the sequence is still on the ground frequency while he's in the pattern?

The network has been around for long enough to demonstrate significant value and potential over the existing options that are there. If it was just a carbon copy of the existing networks, then it wouldn't be able to maintain a recurring customer base.

Here are some unsolicited testimonials from customers who have used the service: http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/testimonials-and-case-studies

I can certainly see where being able to putz around in there can help a less-experienced pilot get feet wet in scenarios, without any bent-metal or certificate risk.

If I were looking for this to be a realistic scenario for training, I'd suggest the audio be taken down to similar quality as that which we get in real life, including (as appropriate) heterodyning if two try to talk at the same time.

SmoothTalker, yes, that's where we want to take it. It's a nice to have, though, not a must-have. Simply being able to interact with ATC and other pilots goes a very long way as is is, but I agree 100%, that would be the right direction to go.

The current version of our audio library doesn't make it easy to add that kind of effect, but the more recent version does allow for completely control of the post-processing of the audio stream.

Ok - I rescind my previous skepticism. While I haven't tried this yet, the video looks pretty damned cool.

Nick, much appreciated, thanks. If you understand what our network offers compared to the free alternatives and elect to stick with the free ones, that's completely understandable, however, if you are under the impression that "they're all the same," then we haven't done a good job explaining what we offer.

By the way, it's not all serious all the time....there's room for fun on the network, too. That's why the DoD invented Military Training Routes (afaik) :): Check out this run along a 550nm stretch of MTR's in Socal in an F-4 Phantom with 3 F/A-18's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkT3-IY3GI0 (go to the 41 min mark, or any of the timestamps listed in the extended description of the video, they're easy to click on). Note: those other aircraft are drones that fly on the system 24/7. They leave every 5-10 minutes out of KNLC, KNKX, KNID, etc. That means anyone can come along and join up with them, regardless of whatever live traffic is on the system at the time. Watch it from the start if you want more of a description.

Their formal purpose is to provide traffic on MTR's so that it creates extra work for VFR aircraft to stay clear, and as a reminder about the nature of MTR's...but informally, it's a place to let loose and enjoy some loose formation work at high speed and low level. I found out AFTER recording all those flights (they're hand flown flight paths, not computer-generated, obviously) that the speed limit on MTR's is 480kias. Oops. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to have a closer look.

Back