Why do people buy junk Aircraft

In 1990, I bought a '58 182 with the wings in the rafters in the barn and chickens (literally) roosting in what was left of the back seats. But all the parts were there, and they only wanted $5K to get rid of it. Spent two years cleaning, rebuilding, and painting it up, Airtex upholstery, the whole nine yards. One day the then-wife said, "either that plane goes or I do." I sure miss her.

Spent $20K putting in new bladders, getting a country paint job, and reworking every damned bolt and fitting in the airplane. I haven't had but one or two relatively minor hiccups in 27 years. Yeah, the KX-170s are a bit long in the tooth and the steam gauges are really old, but everything on her works perfectly. And, I'm not the least bit ashamed to put her on the line at Oshkosh.

Yes, for some of us it is worth it. If you want to buy her I'd suggest that you come talk to my widow with a sackful of $100 bills because she has a real idea of what she is worth to the right person. The airplane, not the widow.

View attachment 52564

Jim
If she were you're widow, I don't think you'd be able to post here. Did you mean ex?

In the last few years I've had an Ercoupe and an Aeronca Champ trailered down to me. Both projects have kept me out of trouble and entertained.

If she were you're widow, I don't think you'd be able to post here. Did you mean ex?

You do have a shot at a second go-around in this life. I probably should have said that my "thenwife" said the airplane goes or she does. My nowwife has a hell of a chance at being my widow some day.

Jim

That was really care less.

If this is your job to correct those who make grammar errors...you missed a bunch of other posts by many others. I guess correcting me makes you feel better of bigger then correcting others. But I am not the only on who makes errors and I will admit it.

But if I make more errors please correct me if this makes you fill better and makes me look small. But again I careless......

My grammar sucks. my spelling sucks, but you know what..I careless at the age of my life. For those who like to correct me for this I say...Bite me...My mother told me..You have no idea how many CEO's would look bad if I did not correct their spelling. Even the brightest screw up and careless when they do. Others will correct them.

I've got my eye on a SeaBee that needs work. Lots of work.

But then I'll have a SEABEE. Of my very own. Built by the guys who had just finished building P-47s.

Just buy a shiny new Icon and call it a SeaBee...

People buy old cars and motorcycles and fix them up. They will never get their money back considering what they spent. It's called a HOBBY!!

They do it with airplanes too. If you go to Oshkosh, you can see them for real! Way cool!!!

Back