Why do people buy junk Aircraft

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
I see junk aircraft on ebay selling, is this because pilots have no idea of what it cost to get it flying again. I can't see salvage yards paying those kind of prices so who is buying them.

You talking real junk like Wentworth sells or clapped out trainers with old radios or?

I had to laugh. My painter is one of those guys. seven years ago, he bought a Stinson 108 in boxes. He was going to have it flying in a few months. After less than a year, he bought another one in boxes and that one was going to be parts for his first one. He bought the third one on the gear, without an engine a few years later. He has three pieces of Stinson 108s and none of them have been touched. Not long after the last Stinson he set his sights on a Kolb exp that had been busted up on landing. It also had engine problems. It's still in the rafters of his hangar. He just went into partnership with another guy on a Cher 180 with the panel removed, out of annual for 5 years, missing parts, etc. I've known him for about 8 years and he's never had a flyable plane, but has 'invested' thousands in various bits and pieces.

I see junk aircraft on ebay selling, is this because pilots have no idea of what it cost to get it flying again. I can't see salvage yards paying those kind of prices so who is buying them.

How many if those sales actually go through and at what price do they actually close?

People buy junk cars and houses all the time, once you trip the 'monkey need banana circuit' anything is possible.

People buy junk cars and houses all the time, once you trip the 'monkey need banana circuit' anything is possible.

I have a Matra Bagheera in my back yard that proves this one. When I bought it, it ran, but just barely. I guess you could say that it wasn't junk at the time. I did have it registered and driving for almost a year, but now it's back to no run condition. If it weren't so cold outside, I'd go work on it.

Penny wise, Pound foolish.

But I do know of at least one that turned out to be a good deal, it was listed on ebay, but didn't sell and was purchased later via private sale.

I have a Matra Bagheera in my back yard that proves this one. When I bought it, it ran, but just barely. I guess you could say that it wasn't junk at the time. I did have it registered and driving for almost a year, but now it's back to no run condition. If it weren't so cold outside, I'd go work on it.

Is that the car with the Lotus looking front end bolted to a Datsun looking rear end?

Is that the car with the Lotus looking front end bolted to a Datsun looking rear end?

Gee, that's kind of hard to answer. Use the google foo and get some images to help you out.

My father in law bought a Aero Commander Lark project (heavily damaged when a hangar roof collapsed) in the early 60s but never got around to making it airworthy and eventually bought an old 182 in flyable condition. He still had the Lark sans engine sitting around (AFaIK he never was able to get rid of anything he owned). After I got my PPL I became interested in restoring the Lark but he wisely talked me out of it.

People buy that stuff because people are dreamers and figure they can afford an incremental outlay to get what they want. Plenty of stuff gets restored and plenty doesn't. I have gone both routes. When I was 19 or so I bought a very rough MGTD. Got as far as having the frame stripped and then painting it with Imron myself, rebuilt the engine and did the same. Bought a bunch of rubber from Moss and was putting together a rolling chassis when I moved from NY to FL. Came back about 18 months later and it was gone. Dad was out of work and needed the money. No biggie. I was less sanguine about my dog being put down but had to accept their explanation (mange). I have had better luck with some projects and less with others.

Some really like to rebuild old aircraft and some ( see antique airfield site) do finish and fly beautiful old aircraft. Others must not enjoy flying as they go on and on about the various parts, trying to finish say, a taylorcraft exactly as it was built new with all the original parts, and on and on. They may or may not actually fly it or if they do, fly it very little. ( taylorcraft cost around 800 bucks new, a cheap depression era trainer, underpowered but decent little aircraft to get a hamburger in) many many never get finished, are resold as projects or just molder some where. The better ones like an old super cruiser, super cub, Luscombe F model usually are rebuilt and are kept in nice shape. Fun to fly!

Last edited:
Wishful thinking by people who have never maintained an airplane. They convince themselves that it just has to be a good deal. They're the same folks that buy lottery tickets.

Dan

Like a guy I know in TX. trying to corner the market on T-Craft stuff. Has several airplanes in various stages of destruction, and none flying, and is buying more.
Also bought up several corvairs for the engines, to go into a project he started back in the 70's.

And this guy is one decent A&P

I'll bet a guy here on the board knows who I'm talkin' about.

It's a disease. Some people just enjoy the challenge of taking something decrepit and making it into a working machine again. It's the same with airplanes, old tractors, old cars, steam engines, pianos, you name it.

I suffer from this disease, here's a couple photos of past flare-ups. My wife believes I am cured but I suspect it is just temporary remission.

Attachments

• load_seneca.jpg
    load_seneca.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 153
  • stuff.jpg
    stuff.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 148
I have a buddy with a garage full of BMW motorcycles...not a single one running.

I also have a colleague who's been restoring the same Porsche 914 for more than 17 years.

Planes are no different. Some people just have money to burn.

I bought my last airplane from AIG as a total loss.
Had a lot of fun putting it together and flying it.
Probably didn't pay all my labor, but I need a project
For mental health. A A&P IA in my pocket makes
it easier also.
Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
....but I need a project for mental health.

That there says it all. I find that restoring something old is a form of catharsis. It's not about recovering the money or time; it's about healthy emotions and thought processes.

Dan

I just finished a Porsche 968 last fall. It was really rough when I got it and now it's a sweet ride. I did a Cord Beverly back in the 90s and that was the toughest thing I ever tackled, but it was worth it in the end.

You gotta dedicate time and money to the project, or it never goes anywhere. I also did a few small boats back in the day, but kinda got burned out on trailer boats. Kinda rare for people to want to use a vintage boat.

I haven't ever tried a plane, but not having an A&P would surely slow me down.

We had or have, I never knew these folks but the air park owner was telling me about this.
Anyway we have a family and they would buy up old junk airplanes. Go through them completely then sell them. They had a business doing this. I do not remember the name of this family, it was either brothers and their dad or brothers. They are located or were located in the Central Illinois area. I am sure others know of this group or family I speak of.

Tony

My brother in-law owed me some money. I knew I was never going to see a dime of it. But he had a car that had been sitting in a horse field for a few years. the grass was over growing the car.
I went and hooked onto it, put it on a trailer and took it home. 1974 Monte Carlo. It had no interior, wheels, brakes, motor or tranny. It was a shell.
In one month I had dropped a 427 BB chevy into her. Swivel Captain chairs, Stock Mag wheels, 400 turbo auto tranny all beefed up. 373 gearing in the rear end.

I then took it out and blew everything on the streets away with it. Nothing could catch that car. I out ran a 900 Kawasaki in 1/4. It was at my back bumper.

I owned and drove that car for three years and never received one speeding ticket, they could not catch me, and they tried more then once.

I miss that Blue and white Monte, but the local law does not. This car had a reputation around these parts for a long distance. Even today if you mention it in certain area's this car is known by the police and this was 30 years ago. I have family working on the police force in one area and they told me this car was still in the system with all sorts of note on files on it and me.

Tony

P.S. That BB I built would turn 12,000 free reving rpm's It lasted for 3 years before it was done.

Last edited:
It's a disease. Some people just enjoy the challenge of taking something decrepit and making it into a working machine again. It's the same with airplanes, old tractors, old cars, steam engines, pianos, you name it.

I suffer from this disease, here's a couple photos of past flare-ups. My wife believes I am cured but I suspect it is just temporary remission.

There's probably a pill for it. It may even be cheaper than flare ups.

I had one cop about 2 weeks after it happened tell me...I have been out ran before but never nothing like that. He clocked my over 178 mph.

What we do when we are young.

Tony

Had a lot of fun putting it together and flying it.Probably didn't pay all my labor, but I need a projectFor mental health.

I'm with you on the mental health part. I like working on my own planes and spent all last week looking into what kind of connectors I want to use on my next radio install and options for PS Engineering audio panel.

There's a pretty nice old 210D nearby for sale and I'd like to get it cheap and throw all the existing radios on eBay and start over.

My brother in-law owed me some money. I knew I was never going to see a dime of it. But he had a car that had been sitting in a horse field for a few years. the grass was over growing the car.
I went and hooked onto it, put it on a trailer and took it home. 1974 Monte Carlo. It had no interior, wheels, brakes, motor or tranny. It was a shell.
In one month I had dropped a 427 BB chevy into her. Swivel Captain chairs, Stock Mag wheels, 400 turbo auto tranny all beefed up. 373 gearing in the rear end.

I then took it out and blew everything on the streets away with it. Nothing could catch that car. I out ran a 900 Kawasaki in 1/4. It was at my back bumper.

I owned and drove that car for three years and never received one speeding ticket, they could not catch me, and they tried more then once.

I miss that Blue and white Monte, but the local law does not. This car had a reputation around these parts for a long distance. Even today if you mention it in certain area's this car is known by the police and this was 30 years ago. I have family working on the police force in one area and they told me this car was still in the system with all sorts of note on files on it and me.

Tony

P.S. That BB I built would turn 12,000 free reving rpm's It lasted for 3 years before it was done.

Some believe this never happened. Call the Police department in Easton IL. and speak with Bill Barnes. He is the cop my car outran that day I speak of.
I say my car because I was not driving but Bill Barnes Partners Step son was driving my car that day.
All you have to do is mention a Blue and white Monte Carlo...He will not be a happy man when you do...
A state Cop by the name of Combites. not sure of the spelling, but he never liked me either, could not catch me. I have some very funny stories about me and this man. at least I think they are funny...lol

Tony

This group I speak of is located or was located in Shelbyville iL. I believe thay would buy just about any junk airplane and redo it or rebuilt it.

People like this are special people in my book. We need more of them.

I will ask the air park owner more about this group and what they did and if they still do it and post it here.

Tony

Some believe this never happened. Call the Police department in Easton IL. and speak with Bill Barnes. He is the cop my car outran that day I speak of.
I say my car because I was not driving but Bill Barnes Partners Step son was driving my car that day.
All you have to do is mention a Blue and white Monte Carlo...He will not be a happy man when you do...
A state Cop by the name of Combites. not sure of the spelling, but he never liked me either, could not catch me. I have some very funny stories about me and this man. at least I think they are funny...lol

Tony

One last thing on this...

I was a menace on the roads back then. At the time I was young and STUPID. Today I laugh about it if I had some young kid driving his car down the country road in front of my home over 130 mph I would be hunting this kid down and beating him.

I was young and STUPID and luck to have lived...Only by the Grace Of God did I not kill myself or someone else.

I lived in a county with nothing but country roads, in the winter when the crops was down you could see for miles, at night it was better for one could see head lights 10 miles away. I would tear up those country roads like know one else, traveled counties and had county cops from all over watching for a Blue and white Monte Carlo.

STUPID is as STUPID does..This was....STUPID

Back to regular programming...
Tony

One last thing on this...

I was a menace on the roads back then. At the time I was young and STUPID. Today I laugh about it if I had some young kid driving his car down the country road in front of my home over 130 mph I would be hunting this kid down and beating him.

I was young and STUPID and luck to have lived...Only by the Grace Of God did I not kill myself or someone else.

I lived in a county with nothing but country roads, in the winter when the crops was down you could see for miles, at night it was better for one could see head lights 10 miles away. I would tear up those country roads like know one else, traveled counties and had county cops from all over watching for a Blue and white Monte Carlo.

STUPID is as STUPID does..This was....STUPID

Back to regular programming...
Tony
OMG that attitude must have been contagious it was wide spread in the 50-60s

I have it too. My first plane was the classic 10K hour Cherokee trainer. Completely run out and abused, bought it for the price of parts and rebuilt it to the point of winning best in show at the Cherokee national fly-in. A lot of labor, and I could easily have bought an airworthy and nice one for the same cash, but I really enjoyed bring it back to life. I ended up with the exact plane I wanted down to the cup holders and I was cured.

Then I got the speed disease and needed a faster plane...

I've got my eye on a SeaBee that needs work. Lots of work.

But then I'll have a SEABEE. Of my very own. Built by the guys who had just finished building P-47s.

Talk to (Brian 23) he has a Seebee project he would like to down load. they're fun as it gets.

I've got my eye on a SeaBee that needs work. Lots of work.

But then I'll have a SEABEE. Of my very own. Built by the guys who had just finished building P-47s.

http://www.republicseabee.com/Buyseabee.html

Muuuuuuaaaaahhahhahhahahaaaaaa! I'm so mean. :D

Always wanted a Seabee. Take off at 70, fly at 75, land at 65. Fly for 1 hour, fix for 10. Fly 1, fix 10. Sounds like a plan. j/k... Enjoy and save another Seabee!

It would be interesting to know what a "junk Aircraft" is, as I am in the market for an airplane, and the one I want doesn't need a glass panel, I am ok if the paint is a "5/10" and the interior is also "5/10".

Hopefully that doesn't make me one who buys "junk Aircraft".

As a side note, wth is with the random postings about some guy wanting us to call the cops in Illinois?

Fame at any price?

I was reading it this morning on TapaTalk and wondered if there was some sort of a problem with the program, as I just saw 4 posts from one person, but no corresponding posts like there might be a conversation going on. It was odd seeing one side of a random conversation.

Until I confirmed there wasn't a second party to the conversation.

It would be interesting to know what a "junk Aircraft" is, as I am in the market for an airplane, and the one I want doesn't need a glass panel, I am ok if the paint is a "5/10" and the interior is also "5/10".

Hopefully that doesn't make me one who buys "junk Aircraft".

As a side note, wth is with the random postings about some guy wanting us to call the cops in Illinois?

No, "buying a junk plane" is buying the one for $10k that needs $60k in corrosion and engine work to pass an annual when they could have bought one that didn't need the work for $45k and been flying it 2 years sooner.

There's probably a pill for it. It may even be cheaper than flare ups.

Yes; Unfortunately, it will disqualify you for a medical.

Of course, the guys buying junk aren't flying airplanes anyway, so...

Back