Why are so many people afraid to fly in small airplanes?

saracelica - Its funny you say that because if I do have a passenger I don't seem to have any issues. For most of my PPL training I was with the CFI I did my solo at 4 hours even after I did my solo I just never felt comfortable alone and when he does fly with me he sleeps or reads on his phone. maybe its just takes time but i was defiantly curious to see if this was common or if something I need to seriously work on. My CFI has asked me once "You do know its cheaper without me right? lol

I guess I'd go along with everyone else and say "It takes practice to be comfortable by yourself" I don't like it so I don't do it. When you do get nervous by yourself just think "What would your CFI say"

The way I talk to myself when I solo my CFI is pretty much there.

We are all gonna die. Statistically it is unlikely to be in a plane but it is not outside the realm of possibility if you fly. Humans are great at justification. If we ever really considered how tenuous our existence is we would likely lay around in the fetal position accomplishing nothing.

Not saying fear is not good at times and helpful for self preservation but maybe you need to spend sometime reconciling your overall fear of death. There are in my view two approaches to this. One, which I subscribe to that this life isn't all there is or two, this is all there is and if your dead you wont know the difference. Either way my view is it is better to get there doing the things you love than sitting in a chair growing old full of regret.

Just my .02

people are scared of 'little airplanes' because they heard their mother or father or someone they respected when they were a child say that they are 'scared of little airplanes.'

Moreover, Pan Am, TWA and the other airlines made their pilots out to be bigger than life heroes. . . . when means anyone not flying for an airline [or the military] with the cooperation go Hollywood. Every time something 'bad' happened to these hero airline pilots is was the careless goofball single engine airplane driver who made the bad thing happen. \\

That and most people are completely ignorant of just about anything and live their entire lives reacting to what is going on around them - and fear is an emotion they never want to experience.

Back