Why 2 Jeppesen iPad apps?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Can someone explain this?

What is the diff between Jepp Mobile TC and Mobile FD?

Jeppesen TC is simply a plate viewer. Arrival/departure procedures, approch plates, airport diagrams, etc.

Jeppesen FD does all of the above plus enroute charts.

Why both? Probably something to do with 121 and 135 op specs.

JeppTC only displays terminal charts. JeppFD displays terminal charts and dynamic enroute data but does not yet legally replace IFR enroute charts.

JeppFD was designed to replace TC but due to some technical and developmental challenges that has not yet happened. JeppFD has a lot of issues which have not been resolved so I chose to just use JeppTC instead. Since both terminal and enroute data is available in JeppFD, they had to sacrifice some memory so terminal charts are a little fuzzy and not as crisp/clear/easy to read as in JeppTC.

Last edited:
JeppTC only displays terminal charts. JeppFD displays terminal charts and dynamic enroute data but does not yet legally replace IFR enroute charts.

JeppFD was designed to replace TC but due to some technical and developmental challenges that has not yet happened. JeppFD has a lot of issues which have not been resolved so I chose to just use JeppTC instead. Since both terminal and enroute data is available in JeppFD, they had to sacrifice some memory so terminal charts are a little fuzzy and not as crisp/clear/easy to read as in JeppTC.

Interesting...is it possible to have both installed and switch back and forth, or does that double the size of the stored data?

Interesting...is it possible to have both installed and switch back and forth, or does that double the size of the stored data?

I have both installed but don't really use JeppFD that often. It doubles the size of data stored but it's not very much. Terminal charts for the US takes up less than 1GB. Enroute data in FD is around 300MB.

Jeppesen TC is simply a plate viewer. Arrival/departure procedures, approch plates, airport diagrams, etc.

Jeppesen FD does all of the above plus enroute charts.

Why both? Probably something to do with 121 and 135 op specs.

I think one is just older than the other. The plate viewer has been kicking around for a couple of years.

Back