Who's got your logs?

...I must say I am not excited about scanning 41 years worth of logs for the plane and 20 years for my private log.

How fire proof are the safes? A they fire proof or are they FIRE PROOF!!!!!!

No need to scan simply snap photos with a digital camera, they don't even need to be pretty they aren't family portraits. As long as they are legible they're good.

Fire safes, you get what you pay for. The lower end ones claim to get you half an hour. In the digital age it's just easier to keep multiple copies and not worry about the fire thing unless your whole town burns down.

No need to scan simply snap photos with a digital camera, they don't even need to be pretty they aren't family portraits. As long as they are legible they're good.

That's what I did, and then converted to .pdf. Gotta be 10 times quicker than scanning.

Fire safes, you get what you pay for. The lower end ones claim to get you half an hour. In the digital age it's just easier to keep multiple copies and not worry about the fire thing unless your whole town burns down.

That happens, (Ask Pateros Wa) Houses and Hangars burn too, All we can do is practice good house keeping and be certain it does not happen to us.
Would your computer survive a house fire? A CD?
We do what we can, and hope we done right.

Well nowadays there's the "cloud" I myself don't really know how to use it but I see there is a bunch of my stuff on my Google Drive and for the life of me I don't know how it got there :eek:

The other problem with multiple copies is that the logs are not static, you're constantly adding new entries so there's the issue of syncing all those copies you have. I've never really been able to figure that out either.

Last edited:
And when she shows the judge the logs, stand the F--- by.

Or when she proves he destroyed them, the FAA will want to talk to him.

We're talking about a couple books here, not a dead body. She'd have a hard time proving a damn thing unless he burned them in the fireplace and didn't get all of it. He could simply walk down a city street and drop them in a trash can and there'd be zero evidence of anything.

Myself, I keep the plane logs in a "fireproof" file box in my closet, with the keys hanging out of it. If someone breaks into my house the last thing I want is for them to carry the whole safe away thinking there's something valuable in it. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to open it and discover they don't want it instead. I also have the digital copies that were sent to me before buying it in my email, but they don't have the most recent entries.

My personal log book is usually sitting on my desk, or in my car if I'm going to the airport for a training flight. I try not to leave it in a backpack, as I've seen many get stolen from cars that way. I also take digital photos every couple pages to have a backup.

...When the A&P is the cause of the accident, they will be contacted by the FAA first.

First? So how exactly does that work? I mean how do they determine first that the A&P is the cause before contacting anyone else? :dunno:

...Myself, I keep the plane logs in a "fireproof" file box in my closet, with the keys hanging out of it. If someone breaks into my house the last thing I want is for them to carry the whole safe away thinking there's something valuable in it...

YES, and the only reason the key is in there to begin with is because the damn thing will fly open when you pick it up if it ain't locked. It's purpose is to "maybe" save the papers in a fire, not to protect your family jewels from theft.

Seems like a very negative attitude toward the guys repairing your aircraft. Why would you take your aircraft to facilities that you don't trust?

OBTW the NTSB will give you a evidence custody form saying they have the logs and why, with the time, date, and the address of who they will return them too.

For a honest shop it's better for everyone, they have every piece of paper organized in folders, from every logbook page to every receipt, and they don't have the liability of being responsible for my logs.

Unless you're trying to pull some crap, why would you need or even want physical possession of my actual logs?

I trust my APIA, however I also don't give him my account and PIN numbers, my SS and DOB, or anything like that, it's just not advantageous for me, nor is it needed for the job he was hired to do, he is delivered a aircraft and a USB drive, he produces a receipt and a sticker, ain't rocket surgery.

My mechanic keeps my logs and has a key to my plane. On a Sunday afternoon I can call his voice mail and report a squawk and tell him when I need the airplane again. 90% of the time I'll bet a call the next day or day after that he took the plane to the hangar it's been repaired and returned. Without the callI wouldn't recognize that it had moved. I don't need to do anything but show up and fly it. Talk about a smooth system. Love it.

My mechanic keeps my logs and has a key to my plane. On a Sunday afternoon I can call his voice mail and report a squawk and tell him when I need the airplane again. 90% of the time I'll bet a call the next day or day after that he took the plane to the hangar it's been repaired and returned. Without the callI wouldn't recognize that it had moved. I don't need to do anything but show up and fly it. Talk about a smooth system. Love it.

Of the few customers I still maintained the majority allow me to keep a key to their hangars. Most will call when they need my help and arrange a time to meet at the hangar.

Back