Who went out and got an iPad today?

It's a freakin' tablet. If you don't want/need a tablet-type device, don't buy it.

There are things I want to do on a larger-screened device that don't work all that great on a traditional laptop - no matter who the manufacturer is - and that the iPad will do better.

And no I didn't buy one. I'm going to wait until the fourth quarter at the very earliest, and save some money.

It's a freakin' tablet. If you don't want/need a tablet-type device, don't buy it.

I've been on the hunt for a decent device for approach plates for several years now. Nothing has struck me as being truly ready until now. ForeFlight on the iPad looks to be really slick:

The kicker is that the iPad is not only cheaper than any of the devices I've looked at, it does a helluva lot more.

A lot of people are comparing the iPad to laptops, to netbooks, to ebook readers, etc... But the iPad is all of those and none of those at the same time. After playing with it, I think it really is a new category of device.

A few initial impressions from playing around with it in the store:

1) I don't think sunlight will be a problem. You generally have the pad pointing straight at you when you're reading it, so you don't have to worry about it reflecting the sun unless you're flying a plane with a canopy and the sun is directly behind your head. I specifically tilted it so that it was reflecting the bright lights in the store, and while it wasn't as good (obviously), it was still quite readable even with the reflection. But again, you're not going to see a reflection of anything but yourself and part of the roof of your plane in normal flying use.

2) Ignoring the glossy reflection issue discussed above, the screen is VERY readable - The text is nicely rendered in such a fashion that it was very easy on the eyes.

3) A few things are different enough from the iPhone that they were minorly annoying because I'm used to the iPhone. For example, on the iPhone the delete key is to the right of the M. The iPad has it at the upper right - More like a laptop keyboard. They also used the extra screen real estate to put the most common punctuation marks on the main keyboard, so you don't have to push the "123" button just to type a period, comma, etc.

4) This thing is FAST. Really, screaming, fast. Dragging images and web pages around (scrolling), it pretty much kept right up with my finger. Just about any action I took resulted in a virtually instantaneous reaction, from launching/quitting apps to doing things within the apps.

5) The iBooks app - Again, very readable text, page turns are about as natural as you can get, with easy navigation. Very cool.

6) Web browsing - Well, it's got the ease of the iPhone without the tiny screen. Here's a screen shot I took of PoA:

attachment.php

As you can see, very readable without having to zoom in. It occurred to me that I really like the touch interface, moreso than a laptop. I can't explain why. But without the screen size limitations of the iPhone/iPod Touch, it's really nice.

7) Typing. As I mentioned in the previous post, I was in a very sub-optimal position for typing - Standing up, with the iPad lying on a table that was at the limit of my reach (I'm too damn tall). Definitely didn't like the on-screen keyboard in that position, and holding it in my left hand standing up while typing with my right hand was also not great - The keyboard is too BIG to get any speed when trying to type with one hand! However, there are several different keyboard layouts that could assist with that (QWERTY, and something like AZERTY that I'd never heard of, Dvorak, etc). I asked to see the iPad keyboard dock, and the manager grabbed a returned one out of the back room (the only one they had). It's a somewhat unwieldy shape for throwing in a backpack, but it's a lot stronger than it looks so it shouldn't be too bad if you can fit it in. I think the best option might be a Bluetooth keyboard (Apple's is the same price as the keyboard dock) and the iPad case that Apple has for standing the iPad up. (I did not play with the case at all.)

8) Productivity. I didn't play around with Keynote or Pages (iWork's analogues to PowerPoint and Word), but I did spend some time with the Numbers spreadsheet. It's certainly different than operating on a traditional computer with the mouse and keyboard, but after going through their tutorial, I was quite impressed with what it's able to do. In some cases, things will be a little slower, but the on-screen keyboard idea really shines here, with several keyboards that are customized for what you're entering in a certain field (numbers, text, dates, formulas, etc). It also appeared to make the formulas a lot easier to find, and certain common things like fills and editing actually seemed easier than on a computer as well. Finally, you can't beat the price: $9.99 each for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

9) Photos and video - This screen is BEAUTIFUL. And like everything else, the iPad was snappy and responsive, taking no time at all to start a large movie, flip between pictures, etc. There's also a "picture frame mode" that you can set up to play a specified set of pictures with a specified transition, and you can leave the iPad locked while it plays.

It does appear that the iPad would make a great substitute for my laptop for most of my casual use - Most web browsing, e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, music, photos, productivity, etc. Where it would fall short is in recording the Pilotcast (it'll do skype, but I need to record as well) and that sort of more specialized use.

That's all for now... I think I'll end up getting one when the 3G models come out.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    233.5 KB · Views: 115
My opinion is that iPad-like devices are going to change the way people go about their daily lives. This thing is ultra cool.

My only concern is the daylight readability. Many people are reporting that they think it looks great in daylight. But I can tell you from personal experience that many others report exactly the opposite. For me and some others I've shown it to, it's difficult but not impossible to read in ambient bright outdoor lighting. In aworst case, it is virtually unreadable if there is sufficient glare.

My guess is that there will be a split in opinions of outdoor readability based on age.

Try clicking the home button 3x. Or go to accessibility in ur settings and change it from light to night reading. Blogged on www,mygoflight.com

Yes I bought one. When I found my best friends 8 year old daughter and his 82 year old father interacting together on the iPad I couldn't resist buying the iPad for my family.

Yes, heavy work like spreadsheets should be left to desktops.

But all the rest, aviation apps, media, music, email, etc. Can all be done on the go or in my home. Try taking your desktop and using it while u sit on the couch watching tv ...very uncomfortable!

I can use email and go through them 2x as fast.

Besides have paper charts become easier to use? iPad makes aviation more secure and fun again.

Www.mygoflight.com

Yes, BUT...

I also have Numbers (Apple's spreadsheet) on my iPad. I don't tend to create spreadsheets on it, but I take spreadsheets I create on my laptop that might be useful in a mobile environment and put them on the iPad.

For example - Aviation related - I have my weight and balance spreadsheet on the iPad as well as the laptop. That way I can do calculations out at the airplane without lugging a laptop around. :yes:

Try clicking the home button 3x. Or go to accessibility in ur settings and change it from light to night reading. Blogged on <link>

Yes I bought one. When I found my best friends 8 year old daughter and his 82 year old father interacting together on the iPad I couldn't resist buying the iPad for my family.

But all the rest, aviation apps, media, music, email, etc. Can all be done on the go or in my home. Try taking your desktop and using it while u sit on the couch watching tv ...very uncomfortable!

I can use email and go through them 2x as fast.

Besides have paper charts become easier to use? iPad makes aviation more secure and fun again.

<link>

Good heavens. Would you like to drop a couple more links on us? We didn't get the point the first 6 times you posted it.

Slow down and get to know us before you start up the infomercial. You're much more likely to get the result you're looking for.

I recently purchased one and installed foreflight. This is really nice. One of my biggest reasons.....Maps & Charts. All the rest is a plus.

Back