Who uses what forums?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
So every now and then a disgruntled user will throw an amusing and usually baseless accusation our way. Recently, we got an anonymous accusation of being "a sham for right wing conservative nuts" and that "Your numbers indicate that all (90%) of your "members" are only in the spin zone".

I got a kick out of this complaint, because it usually means we're doing something right as long as we get complaints like this from both sides of whatever aisle we're in, and we certainly do get claims from liberals and conservatives alike that we allow bashing of their party while cracking down on anything negative about what they say must be OUR party. (We're apparently all unanimously both democrats and republicans on the MC if you believe the vitrol...)

Anyway, I thought the claim was amusing - yes more than half of our posts are in Hangar Talk, which has a lot of non-aviation in it for sure. However, less than 7k posts are in Spin Zone out of the 121k posts on the forum.

But the claim accused that most of our members used JUST spin, and I found that amusing enough to actually run a test to see who used what, and I thought I'd share the results.
Code:
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| title                                | count(distinct p.userid) |
| Home Builders and Sport Pilots       |                       83 |
| Annual Gaston's Fly-In               |                       86 |
| Aerobatics                           |                      133 |
| The Classifieds                      |                      134 |
| The Spin Zone                        |                      155 |
| Site Feedback and Support            |                      160 |
| Technical Corner                     |                      161 |
| Lessons Learned                      |                      178 |
| Medical Topics                       |                      189 |
| Maintenance Bay                      |                      206 |
| Cleared for the Approach             |                      227 |
| Cool Places to Fly                   |                      270 |
| Pilot Training                       |                      294 |
| Flight Following                     |                      377 |
| Hangar Talk                          |                      451 |
What that list shows is the number of unique users who have posted in each forum. 1 post or 1000 doesn't matter - all it shows is how many people have participated in each forum at least once. I filtered out the news forum, btw, since its not really for general discussions.

As you can see, Hangar Talk is the clear winner - not a surprise.

What I find amusing is that Spin is actually fifth from the bottom - of all our users only 155 people have ever felt inclined to post in the Spin Zone at all. The only forums ranking lower than it in participation are the specialty forums.

So you stunt pilots need to find more to talk about!!!

Anyway, I found this interesting and thought I'd pass it along. :)

My attorney will be calling your attorney. :rofl:

There's a lot of distorted veiws out there for sure, and they're sincere!
I go to TODAYS POSTS and read whatever catches my eye, then later on may see what the actual forum label is.

Anthony said:
My attorney will be calling your attorney. :rofl:
What do you mean?? My attorney is having s#x with your attorney.

I click "new post" and read what looks to be of intrest. Libs and Dems can bash away all they want (thats politics) I just CHOOSE to read (and post) what and where I want. You guys run a great open forum. Keep it up

Last edited:
[ATTEMPT AT HUMOR]
Greebo said:
So every now and then a disgruntled user will throw an amusing and usually baseless accusation our way. Recently, we got an anonymous accusation of being "a sham for right wing conservative nuts" and that "Your numbers indicate that all (90%) of your "members" are only in the spin zone".
Aren't private messages not to be discussed on the open forums?

• Private Messages received on these Forums are to be considered private and are not to be posted publicly unless the sender of the private message agrees.
Did you get permission to quote that person as the RoCs say you need to? You did not properly attribute the quote either so you may have violated their copyright.

Bad bad Chuck. No you may need to suspend yourself ;);):D:D
[/[ATTEMPT AT HUMOR]

hahaha!! Where is that bad post button??

Greebo said:
Code:
| title                                | count(distinct p.userid) |
| Home Builders and Sport Pilots       |                       83 |
| Annual Gaston's Fly-In               |                       86 |
| Aerobatics                           |                      133 |
| The Classifieds                      |                      134 |
| The Spin Zone                        |                      155 |
| Site Feedback and Support            |                      160 |
| Technical Corner                     |                      161 |
| Lessons Learned                      |                      178 |
| Medical Topics                       |                      189 |
| Maintenance Bay                      |                      206 |
| Cleared for the Approach             |                      227 |
| Cool Places to Fly                   |                      270 |
| Pilot Training                       |                      294 |
| Flight Following                     |                      377 |
| Hangar Talk                          |                      451 |

Hmm seriously that is what I would have expected as a result. Although I thought the aerobatic guys were a little more active.

smigaldi said:
Ah, but this wasn't a private message, it was support feedback! Haha! I've run rings around you logically!

Did you get permission to quote that person as the RoCs say you need to? You did not properly attribute the quote either so you may have violated their copyright.
The feedback was given anonymously (bogus email address), so no attribution could be made. I also did not quote the entire message, but only a portion. Haha! I've run rings around you logically, again!

Don't be rediculous, I should be free to post whatever I want whenever I want and nobo...***USER DELETED - IGNORAMUS LEVEL EXCEEDING TOLERANCE*** ==POA AUTOMATED QUALITY CONTROL SYSTEM==

I figured that as an aviation forum, it would be expected that aviation would be the main topic.

HOWEVER, remember that Spin Zone is a fairly recent addition compared to the other forums. Is it possible to run the same stats based on the starting date of Spin Zone?

Greebo said:
Ah, but this wasn't a private message, it was support feedback! Haha! I've run rings around you logically!

The feedback was given anonymously (bogus email address), so no attribution could be made. I also did not quote the entire message, but only a portion.

Glad you stayed within the bounds of the RoC. Would have hated for you to ban yourself. If that were to happen how would you unban yourself since by being banned you would not have access to the site?? ;););)

Nick: I could - but I suspect that would be much more meaningful with regards to post count than unique user count.

Interesting question tho - what's the unique user count month by month kind of query...

I'm leery to tax the query too much tho - I tried to get a list of who posts exclusively in Spin zone and brought mysql to its knees using a query that wouldn't have phased sql server.

I'm an MS geek in a linux world here...*sigh* :)

smigaldi said:
Glad you stayed within the bounds of the RoC. Would have hated for you to ban yourself. If that were to happen how would you unban yourself since by being banned you would not have access to the site?? ;););)
Ah, fortunately Bill Suffa is the backup admin. :)

Greebo said:
I tried to get a list of who posts exclusively in Spin zone and brought mysql to its knees using a query that wouldn't have phased sql server.

From what I have seen in spin the answer to your question would be zero. I have seen posts from each of those people outside of spin. Even from ones that currently do not have access to PoA. Even on the red board there was only one person who exclusively posted to Soapbox.

JRitt said:
What do you mean?? My attorney is having s#x with your attorney.

Its a little inside joke. Chuck knows what I mean. I hope!

I never said anything about attorneys having sex. Now that is offensive.

I'm not surprised that the posts are mostly well distributed throughout the range of forums. I surmise that somebody complained about the Spin Zone again. I'll have to say, it seems well moderated, relatively balanced and perfectly civil to me. It also adds a little bit of flavor to the board.

Anthony said:
I surmise that somebody complained about the Spin Zone again. I'll have to say, it seems well moderated, relatively balanced and perfectly civil to me. It also adds a little bit of flavor to the board.

:D:DWell you would say that as you are part of the far right that the MC caters to on these boards :D:D

Actually I agree with Anthony, since about the middle of last month it has been pretty resonable on Spin with some of the best discusion threads ever. Not sure what changed, maybe all of us.

smigaldi said:
[ATTEMPT AT HUMOR]

[/[ATTEMPT AT HUMOR]

hahaha!! Where is that bad post button??
It's not a quote, it's a paraphrase.

smigaldi said:
:D:DWell you would say that as you are part of the far right that the MC caters to on these boards :D:D

Hey, I resemble that remark! :)

Actually I agree with Anthony

The sound you hear folks is hell actually freezing over.... :D

mikea said:
It's not a quote, it's a paraphrase.
Not when he uses these " " around some fo the text. Those are to be used for verbatim quotes.

I think I need to see the original note though to be sure that he did paraphrase. Can you post it? :D:D

Last edited:
smigaldi said:
Not when he uses these " " around some fo the text. Those are to be used for verbatim quotes.

I think I need to see the original not ethought to be sure that he did paraphrase. Can you post it? :D:D
I copied it to /dev/null for you to look at off line. :)

hey, wait a sec, I can't get to /dev/nul!! Is that only available to Scott?

:D :D

Interesting stats, Chuck. Your numbers are those that participated in a topic; can you run it again to show the distinct users that STARTED topics? Might be interesting to see how many people "kick off" discussions in Spin Zone and other forums vs. just participate in them once they get rolling.

Ok, this is the usage for the month of september
Code:
+--------------------------------------+-----------+
| title                                | usercount |
| Hangar Talk                          |       164 |
| Flight Following                     |       115 |
| Pilot Training                       |       111 |
| The Spin Zone                        |        92 |
| Cool Places to Fly                   |        82 |
| Cleared for the Approach             |        63 |
| Lessons Learned                      |        50 |
| Technical Corner                     |        47 |
| Maintenance Bay                      |        46 |
| Site Feedback and Support            |        28 |
| Medical Topics                       |        21 |
| Annual Gaston's Fly-In               |        15 |
| News                                 |        14 |
| The Classifieds                      |        12 |
| Aerobatics                           |        12 |

smigaldi said:
Hmm seriously that is what I would have expected as a result. Although I thought the aerobatic guys were a little more active.

I thought it represented quantity of users, not activity level of the users.

Chuck, can we get a break down of posts per forum? That might be interesting as well. I just use the New Posts deally and don't much worry what forum it's in. I believe in being an equal opportunity nuisance.

thanks for adding the "order by usercount desc" clause! Mucho gooder!

Back