Who says DHS can't stop immigrants?

There's no excuse why this should have happen... short of absolute stupidity on the part of people would otherwise never make it beyond a clerk in a 7-11. :mad:

The part where the agents will be called on the carpet is the usual bored bureaucratic callousness they exhibited when the ladies were screaming to call 911.

"Sure. Calm down and die quietly! We'll be right with you." :mad:

These were Americans coming from American Samoa with paperwork marked APPROVED.

You know. It takes time for the functional illiterate to read stuff and enter the data and all.

While I'm all for saying screw Customs and screw TSA....it was only 30 minutes....that baby would have died somewhere else instead if 30 minutes was the difference between life and death after a long flight.

that's a most callous remark. would you say the same thing if it were your child?

that's a most callous remark. would you say the same thing if it were your child?

I don't mean to say its okay, I just mean that the blame doesn't really lay 100% on the airport. I don't see it as callous, just realistic. The baby was there for life saving surgery that would have taken longer than the amount of time it was held at the airport.

Unbelievably sad. Unavoidable? Probably not, unfortunately.

skyhog said:
that baby would have died somewhere else instead if 30 minutes was the difference between life and death after a long flight.
NOT necessarily true. When you have a VSD or an ASD, hydration and peripheral resistance (regulated by temperature in the infant) are critical.

Kip Hawley is an i___t.

NOT necessarily true. When you have a VSD or an ASD, hydration and peripheral resistance (regulated by temperature in the infant) are critical.

Kip Hawley is an i___t.

True, but this was immigration and/or customs. TSA doesn't care about arrivals.

True, but this was immigration and/or customs. TSA doesn't care about arrivals.
Oh, I was looking at the title of the string.

See how it works is this: when there is a communication between the righ and left sides of the heart, pressurized blood has to decide to go to the lungs or to the periphery.

If the resistance in the periphery is lower (warm, vasodilated) the venous, "black" blood chooses the path of least resistance and goes right back out to the periphery without passing through the lungs. A hot room will kill 'em.

Former cardiac anesthesiologist.

Oh, I was looking at the title of the string.

DHS includes TSA, Customs, Immigration FBI and the Coast Guard..of course. You know how well it's been working since they were brought together so they would communicate better.

See how it works is this: when there is a communication between the righ and left sides of the heart, pressurized blood has to decide to go to the lungs or to the periphery.

If the resistance in the periphery is lower (warm, vasodilated) the venous, "black" blood chooses the path of least resistance and goes right back out to the periphery without passing through the lungs. A hot room will kill 'em.

Former cardiac anesthesiologist.

You want to be an expert witness? They get paid really well.

DHS includes TSA, Customs, Immigration FBI and the Coast Guard..of course. You know how well it's been working since they were brought together so they would communicate better.

You want to be an expert witness? They get paid really well.
Don't need to. There are lots of 'em out there.

While I'm all for saying screw Customs and screw TSA....it was only 30 minutes....that baby would have died somewhere else instead if 30 minutes was the difference between life and death after a long flight.
Emergency medical is emergency medical. It should not be delayed under any circumstance.

You do realize that American Samoans are as American as you or I are. I'd suggest you do a little historical research to understand why that is.

You do realize that American Samoans are as American as you or I are. I'd suggest you do a little historical research to understand why that is.

Now David, usually I respect you, but where the hell did I mention anything about American Samoans being not American, or moreover, where do you get off challenging my intelligence on this matter?

Man, everyone's in attack mode lately. Back off.

I know American Samoans are American and have known for a long time. In fact, I count Samoans among my friends and I am very glad to say that.

But for the life of me I cannot understand your point, especially in the context of this thread. Please provide clarification.

I expect his point is that the thread subject label is talking about immigrants...

But for the life of me I cannot understand your point, especially in the context of this thread. Please provide clarification.

Something to do with detaining American citizens for no reason being acceptable....

I guess I shouldn't have made the thread....

Oh wait, I didn't.
I was responding to RICHARD, who was asking about DAVID's post... though David quoted you, I think he was talking about someone else, I guess. :confused:

Am I gonna have to turn a firehose on the lot of ya'?

I was responding to RICHARD, who was asking about DAVID's post... though David quoted you, I think he was talking about someone else, I guess. :confused:

Well then to David, I'll say:

I'd suggest you do a little research (ie, read the damn thread) to understand why being an ass isn't helpful.

Well then to David, I'll say:

I'd suggest you do a little research (ie, read the damn thread) to understand why being an ass isn't helpful.

I'm not the one attempting to justify or mitigate the denial of an opportunity for life-saving surgery to someone who falls under the protection of the American government - i.e., me. I'm also not the one calling someone else an ass.

You are, of course, welcome to your views. And I am welcome to point out that they're wrong. I, however, did not resort to belittling you. That wouldn't have done anything to advance my point, nor does it do anything to advance yours.

I'm not the one attempting to justify or mitigate the denial of an opportunity for life-saving surgery to someone who falls under the protection of the American government - i.e., me. I'm also not the one calling someone else an ass.

You are, of course, welcome to your views. And I am welcome to point out that they're wrong. I, however, did not resort to belittling you. That wouldn't have done anything to advance my point, nor does it do anything to advance yours.

"I suggest you do a little historical research to understand why that is." isn't belittleing? You know that immigration is probably the most important subject in the country right now (whether some would admit it or not), yet you took the time to point out to me that I didn't know that American Samoans aren't immigrants.

I never said they weren't, nor did I insinuate that they weren't, yet you took the initiative to explain to me what I need to study before I give an opinion on a completely unrelated subject....that would be like coming to me with "You know, Nick, I know you drive a Dodge, but you should really learn more about the infiltration of the border in Mexico before you start to claim that Mexicans aren't coming here." #1, its not true, I'd never claim it was true, and #2, its not related to the subject in any way shape or form.

Take it as belittling if you want, or take it as me defending myself against an attack from nowhere. Doesn't matter to me. Before you come at me on a subject I probably know more about than you (assuming you're not in the SW...if you are, then you're probably on par with the knowledge), try to have a bit more class.

Ugly case.

And the DHS will just think of it as "collateral damage".

Story I saw said that they knew the baby was in trouble, they were banging on the door and asking folks to call 911. All they got was a response of "shut up in there".

Nice way to treat Americans.

While I was hoping this would be a case that would cause such an outcry that changes would have to be made, the mainstream media has not even picked up the story.

It seems to have happen again... not exactly the same but certainly a disregard for human life and circumstances that required medical attention....

Cancer patient dies - had sued U.S., state

Castaneda left his native El Salvador with his mother during a civil war and entered the United States illegally when he was 10. He was convicted in 2005 of possessing methamphetamine and spent eight months in jail, then was held in immigration detention centers in San Diego and San Pedro while awaiting proceedings on deportation and his claim for political asylum.

According to his lawsuit, a doctor first noticed a growth on Castaneda's penis in December 2005, while he was in state custody, and ordered further tests that were never conducted. Multiple lesions developed and Castaneda's pain increased while he was in prison, but doctors and federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency officials turned down medical staff recommendations for a biopsy and surgery, the suit said.

A doctor finally ordered a biopsy in late January 2007 and said Castaneda probably had cancer, but Immigration and Customs Enforcement released him 11 days later rather than having him treated, the suit said. He underwent the biopsy and amputation at a Los Angeles County hospital.

Substitute "living beings" for "Americans" and we're in agreement. :mad:

Agree. We shouldn't treat anyone that way that child & family was treated.

I was referring to the whole experience, from end-to-end, at CBP - American citizens shouldn't be detained like they were.

Back