Who publishes a FAR/AIM book on the smaller side?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Just lost my FAR/AIM book and want to replace it to keep in my flight bag. Who makes one that is on the smaller side. Not looking for a "pocket" size, but I have seen some big ones and looking for one that wont take a lot of space in my bag. Of course most of the online stores don't have the book's actual size.

Do you have an iPad or iPhone? That's the smallest and most searchable FAR/AIM I have and it auto-updates. :)

Which one did you have? The ASA one is smaller than the Jeppesen one (but the Jepp one is laid out better and easier to read).

Do you have an iPad or iPhone? That's the smallest and most searchable FAR/AIM I have and it auto-updates. :)

Yup! ASA's FAR/AIM app is one of the better choices for this need.

And the word "update" is a key item. Just because the cover says 2014, does not mean it has the latest changes in the text.

The electronic ones provided the latest text as soon as the update is published. Plus, you're not shelling out flying money for another mound of paper.

Gleim's FAR/AIM is much thinner than the ASA which is thinner than Jeppesen's. I like it a lot for this reason. It's a great reference.

What do you need a reference for in your flight bag? If you're already airborne, it's really too late to be asking about what's legal. If you're not, just about every FBO has internet these days. And the electronic form doesn't need a backup because it's not essential airborne information.

I just can't imagine looking up cloud clearances while trying not to fly into them. Or looking up who has the right of way when someone is bearing down on you closing, at over 200 knots.

Wow...ya'll really like to infer a lot from a simple question about a size of a book. New pilot...I want a NOT oversized PAPER copy (cuz I left mind behind somewhere) to keep with me and to be able to just thumb through and continue to LEARN. Prefer thumbing through an actual book than electronic version...which I DO use when I need to look up something specific....and by "in my flight bag"...that would be with me most times as it stays in my trunk, so I can pick it up anytime I am interested.

No, I do not need it to look up in flight to see who would have right of way on a night flight when I have passengers but not sure if I am current and question the minimum MEL cuz I have a malfunction but just flew into a cloud on a VFR flight and wanna know if I can just blow through Class B airspace and I am 11 hours over the 100 hour inspection....i just wanted a smaller book...:)

Wow...ya'll really like to infer a lot from a simple question about a size of a book. New pilot...I want a NOT oversized PAPER copy (cuz I left mind behind somewhere) to keep with me and to be able to just thumb through and continue to LEARN. Prefer thumbing through an actual book than electronic version...which I DO use when I need to look up something specific....and by "in my flight bag"...that would be with me most times as it stays in my trunk, so I can pick it up anytime I am interested.

No, I do not need it to look up in flight to see who would have right of way on a night flight when I have passengers but not sure if I am current and question the minimum MEL cuz I have a malfunction but just flew into a cloud on a VFR flight and wanna know if I can just blow through Class B airspace and I am 11 hours over the 100 hour inspection....i just wanted a smaller book...:)

As you will learn, the useful responses you get will constitute a smaller part of the total.;)

I can recommend the Gleim version that I used in an Instrument Ground School. There is one that is about a 5x7 size from somebody but the print size was a "too hard" for me.

Cheers

Just lost my FAR/AIM book and want to replace it to keep in my flight bag. Who makes one that is on the smaller side. Not looking for a "pocket" size, but I have seen some big ones and looking for one that wont take a lot of space in my bag. Of course most of the online stores don't have the book's actual size.

I've got a copy from 1968 that isn't much bigger than a logbook.. was much thinner back then.. ;)

Best bet is to get an electronic copy and put it on your iPad/kindle/iphone/crackberry... along with everything else aviation related..

Back