Who merits a VIP TFR?

I'm all for mandatory "character building" for any politician who votes to send anyone to war who hasn't already served a combat tour of duty in a shooting area. Front lines, and they don't get to take their security detail with them.
The trouble is, serving in a combat zone has pretty much become the "kiss of death" for those with the highest political ambitions. Too many things that can be re-intepreted/re-remembered later.

Ron Wanttaja

Don't forget Disney World in Orlando...

I flew through that one last week. ATC put me right over the Magic Kingdom at 3000' (the limit of the TFR). Right as we were overhead Cinderella's Castle, they told me to descend and maintain 2500. I just confirmed as it would put me inside the TFR and I didn't want to lose my license. They confirmed it was fine.

I get on the ground and pull up the wording of the TFR. Apparently you can enter the TFR if you are in contact with ATC / no other special permission required.

Sounds like they are just stretching the use of a TFR to keep VFR joyriders from orbiting the parks and being a nuisance.... I previously thought of TFR as much more restrictive than the Disney one...

Sounds like they are just stretching the use of a TFR to keep VFR joyriders from orbiting the parks and being a nuisance.... I previously thought of TFR as much more restrictive than the Disney one...

Mr Disney did not wish to have his captive customers looking at banners advertising competing attractions in the area. So he purchased a TFR.

The trouble is, serving in a combat zone has pretty much become the "kiss of death" for those with the highest political ambitions. Too many things that can be re-intepreted/re-remembered later.

Ron Wanttaja

Depends on who's voting. I rather vote for the Vet with a proven track record of having accomplished something, than a Jr. Senator with a completely covered-up past and no significant accomplishments other than warming a chair.

Depends on who's voting. I rather vote for the Vet with a proven track record of having accomplished something, than a Jr. Senator with a completely covered-up past and no significant accomplishments other than warming a chair.
The problem is that supporters of the opponent of the vet will claim his record was falsified, that he didn't spend time serving where he claimed, that he dodged actual combat or actually ran away when threatened. And they can usually find SOMEBODY who will "back up" that claim.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's how things work. Two Vietnam veterans have run for President (one from each party), both lost. Both were subject of claims regarding "alternate versions" of their experience.

Ron Wanttaja

Mr Disney did not wish to have his captive customers looking at banners advertising competing attractions in the area. So he purchased a TFR.

Yup... I learned to fly a few miles from there back 32 years ago... Back then you had to do the "Disney tour" especially at night, for all your passengers.... Then................... EPCOT opened... and the controllers where "suggesting" to avoid the area because of the laser show at night.... Then it got more difficult to overfly the mouse house, even during the day.. It was on my flight path from X04 to River Ranch resort, which I flew at least once a month either going for breakfast or a night flight dinner run... Before I left Apopka in 1990 it was next to impossible to fly over the entire Disney complex...

I did get to land on their airport /private runway once, back in 1980, so that miracle is in my logbook somewhere.. You can still see it on google earth even today...

The problem is that supporters of the opponent of the vet will claim his record was falsified, that he didn't spend time serving where he claimed, that he dodged actual combat or actually ran away when threatened. And they can usually find SOMEBODY who will "back up" that claim.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's how things work. Two Vietnam veterans have run for President (one from each party), both lost. Both were subject of claims regarding "alternate versions" of their experience.

Perhaps you're right. It's easy to avoid problems with alternate versions of nothing.

Back