Who is your favorite passenger?

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
Hey everyone,
My post about my little brother being mine got me wondering who does everyone enjoy flying with the most.

I did some work for an elderly gentleman who was an ex WW2 pilot. He told me a few very interesting stories, and explained how he hasnt flown in years. The next week, I took a rental 172 into the dirt strip by his home and picked him up for a flight. I thought he was going to cry. He was about the happiest person I have ever seen. I let him fly the cessna, and he did great, just like he never missed a day. He told me what he used to fly in the war,(I cant remember) and how it was way different back then. All in all, The best flight I think I have ever made. I think its about time i go back that way and look him up again. Id love to sit and talk about history with someone who was there.

My best flying companion is Agatha. Some of the most fun are with little kids who have not seen the view from the air in a small plane yet.

Don't have one. 80% of my flight time is solo.

Rudy said:
Hey everyone,
My post about my little brother being mine got me wondering who does everyone enjoy flying with the most.

Since my husband may someday read this, I had better say my husband Tom.;) Although, he isn't really a passenger since he can't take off his CFI hat that easily, so he isn't actually a passenger.

Soooooooooooo, it would have to be any of the many Young Eagles I've taken over the years.

Or, a few of the people on this forum; they were fun to take flying too. :)

Last edited:
Definitely my goddess-like wife, Celia. Close second: Tomster the monster (10 years old). Good kid, and appears to be a good stick too.

Great question Rudy. I've been sitting here for several minutes trying to figure out how to answer. I can't think of a particular person, but I know the type:

It's the person who laughs out loud during a loop, or gets out of the airplane after a flight and actually jumps up and down with excitement. It's the pilot I flew with once in the Bonanza - we were on top of a solid layer making about 180 kts across the ground, music on the stereo headphones, smooth as glass. Neither of us spoke for a long time, then he smiled and said "What a great [freaking] airplane." It's the people who really "get it" that I enjoy flying with most.

After those great folks, it's the Angel Flight patients I've flown. You haven't been thanked for a flight until you've been thanked by an Angel Flight patient. Tears? I guess.

Then, like Diana said, the Young Eagles are great to fly. Sometimes it's hard to remember that the cars look like toys and the people look like ants until a 10 year old reminds you.

You've got a lot of great flying to look forward to Rudy.

Chip

Diana said:
Since my husband may someday read this, I had better say my husband Tom.;) Although, he isn't really a passenger since he can't take off his CFI hat that easily, so he isn't actually a passenger.
:)

Hmm, Just wondering Diana if you find it difficult to land when Tom is watching? ;)

I always botched landings when my instructor was around....

Kinda reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it..... LOL

S.

My wife and kid. Actually, so far they've been my ONLY passengers.

My wife gets awfully excited in the plane, bouncing around trying to see all the sights and taking pictures. She's fun to watch, though I did once have to tell her to stop scooting so much in the 152 because she was making me work to hard to stay level. My son loves airplanes and aviation, but gets nervous in the air. He has an issue with "bumps." He likes to look out the side window from the back of the Skyhawk, and I'm a little concerned that if we start taking trips in a Tiger he'll find the view boring. He much prefers our flights together in the 152, though. He loves the chance to sit up front where he can see the controls and isntruments, and still hasn't tired of telling everyone about actually getting to fly the plane.

sshekels said:
Hmm, Just wondering Diana if you find it difficult to land when Tom is watching? ;)

I always botched landings when my instructor was around....

Kinda reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it..... LOL

S.
LOL!

Scott, you must be talking about that air show you saw not long ago. It's always nice to be able to provide comic relief. ;)

Next time you'll have to be a participant in the air show. :)

I never realized Chip was religious and had afternoon prayers!

I still regret I did not have time for a ride! Gastons maybe? I hear its coming up... Everyone got reservations?!?!

;)

sshekels said:
I never realized Chip was religious and had afternoon prayers!
He wasn't REALLY kissing the ground; he was merely looking for four-leaf clovers for his return flight to town. ;)

sshekels said:
I still regret I did not have time for a ride! Gastons maybe? I hear its coming up... Everyone got reservations?!?!
;)
Funny you should mention that Scott. It's time to talk about our fly-in to Gaston's again, isn't it. :)

Best passenger so far = my ex-boyfriend (now really good friend).

He accompanied me on my big trip to IAD. As we were approaching and being passed by 747's, I was freaking out and saying "I can't believe I'm going to do this!!" and the like. He calmly says, "It's just another airport." For a non-pilot, he posesses pilot-like wisdom.

--Kath

Great Question;

My father was my favorite passenger. We did many trips together long and short. He was as calm as they came both VFR and IFR. We began flying together when I was old enough to get my private. He got to see me get my commercial and instrument when I turned 18. Sadly he died during that year. I still after all these years have fond memories of our trips together.

John

Rudy said:
Hey everyone,

1. Wife - but she desn't want to go any more.
2. Son - 14 and great companion.
3. Daughter - but following moms lead
4 Anybody that will chip in on expenses.

My 10-year-old son. He washes the plane, too.

He's been flying with me since before he was born. He's actually a pretty good stick in the Citabria, although he can't reach the rudder pedals yet. He wants to do acro, but I'm holding off on that until he gets a little older.

My daughter. The look of absolute wonder on her face as we pass way OVER a huge flock of snow geese makes the time all worth while. Who needs sirius radio in the cockpit when you have a six year old singing "the wheels on the bus" for a three hour trip? Then again, sometimes that "pilot only" selection the com panel is a good thing. :)

Jim G

These two love to fly. We load up the car seats and have a great time.

BTW, this is my first post on the board. I was a regular lurker on the "other" webboard and appreciate this format.

James Dean

What beautiful children. It's wonderful that flying is already a way of life for them. :)

Last edited:
My niece and nephew, the twins, were at the top of my list of favorite passengers (Young Eagles).

Rudy said:
Hey everyone,

My favorite passenger was my Dad who passed away last night unexpectedly. I only flew with him once, but the joy of going flying with his little girl just oozed out of him. I will never forget.

Carolyn

Diana said:
My niece and nephew, the twins, were at the top of my list of favorite passengers (Young Eagles).

I can see a strong family resemblance between you and them :)

Diana said:
Very cute pictures! I also like the names painted on the outside of the airplane.

Razor said:
My favorite passenger was my Dad who passed away last night unexpectedly. I only flew with him once, but the joy of going flying with his little girl just oozed out of him. I will never forget.

Carolyn

What a wonderful gift you were able to give him on his last day !

Back