Whiskey Blasphemy (I blame you JeffDG)

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Stopped in at Busters in Memphis to pick up some limited release Jack Daniels that can't be had in SC. I look over and see a whiskey with the Tennessee Flag on it with the word "Tennessee" written across it. I thought...hmm a Tennesse Whiskey I'm not familiar with. It was oddly sitting next to the Crown Royal. I pick it up....EWWWWW it's a Canadian whiskey. Blended..ewwww. Come on Canada, don't try to pass that junk off as Tennessee.

http://www.bustersliquors.com/r/products/crown-club-tennessee-crown-club-canadian-whisky

tennessee-crown-club-ultra-premium-whisky-canada-10580792.jpg

As a bourbon drinker, there is nothing more disgusting than Canadian whiskey IMO. I'd rather drink schnapps or steel reserve

So now you wish to add the jewel of "Whiskey Snob" to your "BBQ Snob" crown?

So now you wish to add the jewel of "Whiskey Snob" to your "BBQ Snob" crown?

Oh hell no. I drink Jack Daniels or George Dickle. Sometimes I'll get a Bookers. I'll pick up a 1/5 of Old Rip when I can find it. wild turkey will do in a pinch.

The last thing I want to be doing is talking about "hints of hickory", "cinnamon aromas" and how whiskey reacts to my pallet.

2 cubes of ice and about that much Jack Daniels is my recipe.

But it's just wrong on soooo many levels to put the word Tennessee on a Canadian Whisky. Jeff is the only Canadian I know of in Tennessee, so it must be his fault.

Last edited:
Whew!... I thought we were going to be in trouble again.

I had a brisket sandwich last Tuesday...pork was available but I skipped it for some good BBQ. :D

Being a bourbon snob is not a bad thing. I have been known to appreciate a good bourbon. Canadian whiskey is for beginners.

Oh hell no. I drink Jack Daniels or George Dickle. Sometimes I'll get a Bookers. I'll pick up a 1/5 of Old Rip when I can find it. wild turkey will do in a pinch.

The last thing I want to be doing is talking about "hints of hickory", "cinnamon aromas" and how whiskey reacts to my pallet.

2 cubes of ice and about that much Jack Daniels is my recipie.

But it's just wrong on soooo many levels to put the word Tennessee on a Canadian Whisky. Jeff is the only Canadian I know of in Tennessee, so it must be his fault.

I did spend $150 on BBQ today. Ate at the BBQ Shop. wasn't bad, but not the best.

Agreed! Having been born and raised in the Detroit area, I consider the Canadians to be our long and faithful friends.

That said...their whisky sucks. Big time. And to put "Tennessee" on a label of one of their wimpy blended whiskeys is sacrilege. :no:

Now back to my glass of Jack Black. Neat. :yes:

Mike

Sometimes I'll get a Bookers.

Damn right. My everyday Bourbon is Maker's, but every so often, I'll pull the Booker's off the shelf. Two cubes.

Mmmmm!

Last edited:
I like my whiskey to come from the land of kilts. Usually a Speyside or a Highlands. Balvenie 21yr right now with a good cigar, Partagas short corona.

3934V, if you like a faintly sweet whiskey, Balvenie or Glenrothers are good, sweet Scotch whiskies. Might be something that would interest you.

I like my whiskey to come from the land of kilts. Usually a Speyside or a Highlands. Balvenie 21yr right now with a good cigar, Partagas short corona.

3934V, if you like a faintly sweet whiskey, Balvenie or Glenrothers are good, sweet Scotch whiskies. Might be something that would interest you.
Dalmore anytthing is a good whisky but I am partial to King Alexander III. Blended is usually Famous Grouse. You that don't like Scotch just have not found the right one or drink Chevas or Johnny Walker and complain. Both blended by the way.
Single malt is from one cask. Vatted is from one distiller. And blended is from many. You also gave some fine grain whiskies from Scotland that occasionally end up in the blends.
If you like Bourbon, I know there's a Scotch out there for you. You just have to keep sampling.

I like a good Scotch, but it's such a different taste from Bourbon that I mentally put them in two different categories of alcohol. If I'm in a Bourbon mood, I'll drink Bourbon. Scotch, I'll drink Scotch.

I'll go pour me a shot of vintage 2014 Fireball...

The only reason I like the stuff is because it reminds me of those atomic fireball jawbreakers I used to have as a kid, only it has alcohol and comes in liquid form! :goofy:

Now, let's place blame where it truly lies; the "Ultra Premium Tennessee Crown Club" referenced in the original post is actually a product marketed by a US company based in Houston, and has nothing to do with Canada or Canadian companies.
You can see their product line-up here;
and it appears they have 'a whiskey' for each of perhaps half the states, and a few US cities too.

In addition, I note this company is the subject of a number of trademark infringement lawsuits.
Honestly, I submit that there is no telling what is actually in their bottles and I have to doubt good Canadian Rye would be wasted in this manner.

And if you do not care for Canadian Whisky (no 'e', as it rightly should be - please research this if desired), or Canadian Rye Whisky, or Rye Whisky, or simply; 'Rye", you are forgiven, as I believe its "lighter and smoother flavor" is something that is more appreciated if you are raised with it.

Kind regards,

It was a long time before I called anything whiskey anything but "Rye"

As a bourbon drinker, there is nothing more disgusting than Canadian whiskey IMO. I'd rather drink schnapps or steel reserve

Earn yourself a patch and one of the first bottles of bourbon from this place is on me (since I own a piece of it).

I'll go pour me a shot of vintage 2014 Fireball...

The only reason I like the stuff is because it reminds me of those atomic fireball jawbreakers I used to have as a kid, only it has alcohol and comes in liquid form! :goofy:

Marketing's wet dream, you are!

Now, let's place blame where it truly lies; the "Ultra Premium Tennessee Crown Club" referenced in the original post is actually a product marketed by a US company based in Houston, and has nothing to do with Canada or Canadian companies..

While it may be marketed by a US company, the label clearly says "CANDADIAN WHISKEY"

Unable to see the label well enough to read where it says "Distilled and Bottled By". My guess it isn't in Tennessee or anywhere else in the USA.

Mike

Scotch or Irish for me.

The best thing about bourbon is that the used empty barrels are exported to Scotland and Ireland to make good stuff.

The best thing about Canadian whisky is that you can use it as a parts-cleaning solvent in the shop.

Tennessee whiskey? Really? Go north a little bit, and get real whisky. Kentucky BOURBON.

If it ain't a single malt made in Scotland, it ain't worth drinking. Some of the abominations mentioned above cannot even be used for cooking.

:popcorn:

If it ain't a single malt made in Scotland, it ain't worth drinking. Some of the abominations mentioned above cannot even be used for cooking.

:popcorn:
Some of the malts from Wales are pretty good. If you're into formula (read, no character), try a malt from Japan. I have been told there are malts made in every country but the best is Scotch. The others are just poor imitations.
And while you can malt, mash, wort, and distill is anything from a paper cup to a 50 gallon rubber made trash can to shiny new stainless steel, the Scots have age, wisdom, and old school techniques which cannot be beat.

Back