Which VFR flight plan...and plane?

KeithASanford

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MyTurnToFly
Weird question, I know.

Say you were flying from KRMN to KSUS every other month. Of the six trips, your max payload for two of them would be 410 lbs of two adults, a wire haired Dachshund, luggage and maybe an occasional set of golf clubs, hunting/ fishing gear, etc.

Planning for 410 lbs, what route would you take and how would it change over the course of a year?

Oh, and btw, Mooney or Bonanza?

No need to vary course. None of this is over water.

Sounds like you have your list to look at: mooney/bonanza. Put together a budget. Add about 10k cash for the first year and start asking for rides - lots of options based on budget.

No need to vary course. None of this is over water.

Well it runs right through the middle of the STL class B though my general attitude is to plan direct and deal with it later if ATC has different ideas. Note your direct route does take you across the Kentucky Speedway so be sure it's not the one afternoon a year that they're holding the Sprint Cup race there (or stay above 3000').

You might have a bit of trouble getting all that (including golf clubs and hunting/fishing gear) in and out of a Mooney. The big back door and cargo area freed up with the last two seats removed makes a 36 Bonanza or PA32R (Lance/Saratoga RG) sound like a good choice over that distance.

60k won't buy a 36- even an "old one".

Maybe a h35 or newer? If I watch my W&B, I can get golf clubs in my 35... T

At $60k, there will be compromises.

Ron's definitely the guy to listen to ...

A Comanche will give you good speed and affordability. Whatever you do, bring something to keep you occupied, crossword puzzle, sudoku, music, etc...that's a long boring flight.

Hard to answer your question without knowing your budget and what is important to you. Easy trip for a Mooney or a Bo. How much do you have budgeted for this purchase?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back