Which Trainer?

michael Killacky

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mikek
I've been having an ongoing discussion with several other guys that are training at the same field as I am, concerning which plane to use as a primary trainer. I'm interested in everyone's opinion. Our choices are a 172@$80/hr.wet or a 152@$65/hr.wet. My logic is that at 60 hrs., the 152 only represents a $900 savings over the entire training time. After training I assume you would need 3-4 hours of instruction in a 172 to be able to check one out at most FBO's. That knocks the savings down to $500 or so. Now, would you prefer that your family and friends went on a $100 hamburger with a pilot with 3-4 hours in a 172 or 60 hours in a 172. I really don't see much use for the 152 after training given the small useful load. Opinions, Please.
Thanks, Mike

I learned in both, and am firmly convinced that the 152 will do a better job of teaching you to fly. The 172 is too easy, but transition into it after training will be a breeze. Incidentally,, I'll be renting a 150 instead of a 172 tomorrow because it's just me and my son, and the 150/152 is a lot of fun to fly.

I think there is no right answer for this - it is a personal choice. First, I don't think it would take more than about 1.5-2 hrs for most new PP to check out in a 172 (assuming we're not talking about a new, chock-full-of-fancy-avionics model).

I also think 152s (and 150s) are pretty nice airplanes to fly solo. Solo, they perform not all that different than 172s for just playing around the pattern/practice area, and I find them nicer-flying airplanes (more responsive) than 172s. 152s are probably just a bit less forgiving in stalls than a 172 as well, and maybe teach better use of the rudder than a 172.

Now, if you and/or your instructor are at all larger than the FAA-standard adult, you may be more comfortable in a 172 than a 152.

I don't think there would be much of a difference in safety of a newly-minted PP flying a new-to-them 172 vs. the 152 they trained in. The 172, in-and-of-itself, isn't going to create any more significant risk, unless the pilot exercises poor judgement with the plane, which they could easily do in a 152 as well. Safety is all about staying within your limits, and your plane's limits.

Jeff

One option is to start training in the C152, and then move up to the C172 for your X-Cs.

michael Killacky said:
I've been having an ongoing discussion with several other guys that are training at the same field as I am, concerning which plane to use as a primary trainer. I'm interested in everyone's opinion. Our choices are a 172@$80/hr.wet or a 152@$65/hr.wet. My logic is that at 60 hrs., the 152 only represents a $900 savings over the entire training time. After training I assume you would need 3-4 hours of instruction in a 172 to be able to check one out at most FBO's. That knocks the savings down to $500 or so. Now, would you prefer that your family and friends went on a $100 hamburger with a pilot with 3-4 hours in a 172 or 60 hours in a 172. I really don't see much use for the 152 after training given the small useful load. Opinions, Please.
Thanks, Mike

Mike,

In my view, there are two compelling reasons to select a 172 over the 152 as a platform in which to learn to fly.

1) You and your instructor take up too much space to be comfortable in a 152 (someone already mentioned this - Jeff, I think);
2) You plan to buy a 172 and it will be your airplane of choice as soon as you get your license.

That said, the 152 is generally a more economical trainer. Transitioning later to the 172 is absolutely no sweat. Plus, there are a number of aircraft you will want to experience after a bit. So if you don't spend your money on the 172 while practicing for your license, you'll have it to try out the smorgasbord.

Good luck.

Jim

Too late, bought a Pilot 17-71T ANR headset last week. Excellent headset.

I think it's mostly a matter of whether or not you have the extra money to spend. If you do, go for the 172, as that's what you'll probably be flying after you get your license. If not, there's no choice -- you fly what you can afford.

From a non-financial perspective, I think the C-152 is an easier plane to learn to fly simply because it has lighter controls and isn't as nose-heavy with only two people aboard, although you can fix that problem by carrying about 25-50 lb of ballast in the 172's baggage compartment. However, if either the trainee or trainer is more than FAA-average size, the 152 rapidly becomes untenable due to the inability to carry full fuel (which ain't much fuel to start with) as well as the extension of one party or the other into the other party's cockpit space.

So before you decide, sit in each plane with the instructor with whom you will fly, and do a weight-and-balance to see if you can fly any dual cross-countries in the 152. And since jumping between planes during primary training is MOST undesirable, pick a plane in which you can do all your training -- don't figure on 152 for some and 172 for other.

I think Jeff Oslick's answer was right on the money. Now, I'll tell you what I decided and why...

I went for the 152 for two reasons. The lower cost, and the fact that our school had 6, vs only 2 172s. I only recall one time I wanted to go up on the spur of the moment and couldn't get a plane.

After my checkride, my next two flights were my 172 checkout. Total time of 1.5 hours. I still feel a little more comfortable in the 152 (lightness of controls, just feels more responsive) but that will soon fade (only flown once since, in the 172 on a bumpy day).

michael Killacky said:
Now, would you prefer that your family and friends went on a $100 hamburger with a pilot with 3-4 hours in a 172 or 60 hours in a 172.

How about another option? Same money overall. 60 hours in a 152, and 10 hours in the 172 (includes enough for the instructor for about 2.5 hours of dual). Now we're looking at a 70 hour pilot vs. a 60 hr. pilot as well. Hmm....

In the end, pick the one you want to fly more. But don't rule out the 152 really fast, it's a great plane to fly, and it slips like a dream! Very "honest" trainer.

I have no choice... the only a/c for rent at GRD is 21923, a C-150L. *shrug*

I think you want to choose one and stick with it. Each individual plane will have their own issues and fly different. You'll find one or two you like and stick with those. Especially for your checkride. You'll want to know exactly how it flies and what it will do.

I have yet to sit inside a 152, but weighing 235lbs I think I've got 5lbs on the 152. :)

Back