Which Rudder Stop Kit for Cessna 150?

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
I help manage a C150M that is coming due for annual. I want to have the rudder stop kit installed to comply with the AD for spins. But I need help figuring out which kit I need.

An A&P school is using the plane as a "live project." They will be doing the annual. I have to supply all the parts myself. The problem is, there is a different kit for the forged bulkhead (SK152-25A) and for the sheet metal bulkhead (SK152-24A). I'm having a hard time figuring out which situation I have.

According to the serial number of the airplane, it should be the sheet metal type. But the AD has this line:

In addition, a note was added to kit P/N SK152-24A stating "some airplanes in this serial range may have a forged bulkhead installed after leaving the factory. Service Kit SK152-25A or later revision must be used to modify these airplanes."

I took pictures of the tail. The bulkhead looks too thick to be the sheet metal type, but now I don't know. I can't find any entries in the aircraft logbook about replacement bulkheads.

What would you do? Order both kits, and have the teacher figure it out, and return the wrong one? Just go with the serial number one? Any advice on how to figure it out?
________
easy vape reviews

Attachments

• IMG_2493-1.jpg
    IMG_2493-1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2494-1.jpg
    IMG_2494-1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2495-1.jpg
    IMG_2495-1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
It does look thick to be sheet metal but I have zip experience with this kind of thing. Why not send the photos or take the plane to the A&P instructor and get him to advise you.

It does look thick to be sheet metal but I have zip experience with this kind of thing. Why not send the photos or take the plane to the A&P instructor and get him to advise you.

These are the photos I sent him. He said that a forged bulkhead would probably be 1/8" or so, and sheet metal would be thinner, on the order of 1/16". The pictures make it appear to be the thicker one, but the serial number puts it in the sheet metal category.

The school is a 45-60 minute flight, each way. He said he would be able to tell when he actually sees the airplane, but from the pictures, he agrees that it appears to be the thicker (forged) type. He said I could take it to another mechanic to look at it if I wasn't sure which one I had. Hence the posting!
________
EL250E

Last edited:
What serial number had the forged bulkhead? I assume newer? Go look at whatever years of C150 have the forged bulkhead and compare since (I suspect) that they would not likely been fitted with the (I assume older) sheet metal version.

I suspect that the difference would be obvious.

I ain't no mechanic, but that one looks like sheet metal to me by the way the flange around the curve is bent (with the notches). But don't spend money based on my opinion.

If a forged bulkhead was installed after leaving the factory.. there "should" be a logbook entry?

That sure looks to me like a sheetmetal bulkhead. They wouldn't forge a bulkhead with bending notches in it. The 172 uses a forged bulkhead and it looks like a casting, not like cut/drilled/bent stuff. You can see the bend radii in the top corners of that thing in the first picture.

Dan

Thank you to all for your input. I ordered the sheet metal bulkhead kit. Hopefully, I have chosen wisely!
________
Ducati 999

Last edited:
That sure looks to me like a sheetmetal bulkhead. They wouldn't forge a bulkhead with bending notches in it. The 172 uses a forged bulkhead and it looks like a casting, not like cut/drilled/bent stuff. You can see the bend radii in the top corners of that thing in the first picture.

Dan

Dan thats what I thought as well but the thing looks so darn thick. I suppose we shall see soon enough.

Back