which iPad

jeffwh1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JeffH
Does anyone have an opinion on which iPad to get for using ForeFlight in the cockpit? I have been using an iPad mini for a while but considering upgrading to a full size iPad. Any thoughts?

It depends on your age. If you're older, bigger is better. I have the iPad Pro, which is not the biggest, but it's up there. I usually have the flight plan box open, so the remaining screen view is not really that big. I use it in portrait mode, and with the FP box open I am left with a square image of the route and map.

Does anyone have an opinion on which iPad to get for using ForeFlight in the cockpit? I have been using an iPad mini for a while but considering upgrading to a full size iPad. Any thoughts?
Can you mount a full-sized iPad near your line of sight? It's far more useful, and less distracting (in terms of being able to keep your eyes mostly outside) there.
I bought a full-sized iPad for ForeFlight, but only because at the time the mini hadn't been updated for a few years, and Apple hadn't committed to any new releases for the mini. I really like the full-size iPad for fiddling with Foreflight at home, for web meetings, and a host of other things outside of the cockpit. In the plane, I have to mount it on a kneeboard, so while it is still very useful, I have to be careful to NOT look at it too much, which reduces it's utility.

… bigger is better...

QFT for all tablets. My android is in between mini and the smaller pro size iPads and is the absolutely smallest size I would go with.

My opinion might change if I were instructing, but for Part 91 GA it’s set in stone.

I’m downsizing from two iPad Airs to two iPad Mini 6s. Pivot case for them literally just shipped. Been waiting 3 months. RAM has yet to release theirs.

I actually fly with 2 iPad Pros mounted on the yokes. I fiddle with FF on mine, and send it to the panel. The flight plan is copied to the second iPad in front of the GF. She likes to follow along. Mostly she measures distances to where we are going. But, I have two current and identical iPads up and running. If one dies, I always have the other.

I think it depends on your cockpit size and how good your eyes are. I drive a Mooney and the iPad mini works very well for me.

IMO ergonomics is the determinant. Where are you going to mount it, and how much room do you have there without interfering with other functions. All things being equal, bigger is better ... but all things are rarely equal.

I recently updated to a 11" iPad pro. I use it a lot while flight instructing along with my Sentry. When I use it in my airplane I have it on my lap on a clipboard. I then suction cup my large size iPhone on the side of my windshield. I primarily use my iPhone unless I want to see greater detail then I refer to my iPad.

I have one student with his own airplane with an iPad on each yoke & an iPhone suctioned cupped to the side of his windshield sometime the multiple iPads are annoying. They block a lot of needed gauges like the flap indicator. I'm always having to remind him to keeps his eyes outside not constantly on his mobile devices. Don't overdue it.

I have an iPad Pro mounted in each yoke. I enter the FP on mine, send to the 530W and it is echoed to the iPad on the Crew Chief's yoke. She follows along and is constantly measuring distances and wondering why we are heading right if the airport is to the left.

Back