which ipad app for in-flight viewing of PDF files?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I need a better app to store pdf files on my ipads, and to view them in-flight.

The pdf files are my POH, avionics manuals, airplane logbooks, and miscellaneous such as a list of service centers.

Required: 1. the files must be stored locally on the ipad. 2. a search feature, to find a key word in a pdf file. 3. no monthly subscription costs.

Desirable: 1. synching between my two ipads. 2. an app I can dedicate to aviation. 3. small size for storage.

Foreflight is not attractive for this purpose -- although it can store and view various pdf files, Forefight has the crucial problem that my files are lost if I must delete the app and reinstall. Foreflight backs up some files to the cloud, but only files that are from Foreflight or FAA; not my POH etc. I already lost all my pdfs due to this problem.

Evernote is no good either. I discovered, after moving all my files to this app, that it stores some documents in the cloud only, so that I cannot view them while in flight. While on the ground I am unable to determine which documents are stored locally vs in the cloud. Moreover, it is bloated with features I don't need, and Evernote now expects me to pay monthly.

Any suggestions?

Why not use iBook and do the iOS backup? I have all my POH manuals on iBooks stored in a folder with my plane's N number. It shares across devices and is backed up with iTunes or the iCloud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got PDF Expert for other uses. I haven't used it in flight as I haven't had a reason to. But I have used it to review, annotate, search through, and otherwise abuse long PDF files as well as getting them into and out of e-mail messages and Dropbox. You have to start with a searchable PDF, of course. And you'll need to provide your own storage if you want to keep documents when deleting the app. If you work with PDF documents in other contexts than flying, you won't want to limit your use to flying. But it's a pretty well-featured and easy to use app for dealing with PDFs on the iPad.

[AEx2.JPG

I import them into WingX that way they are available in the app and I can use split screen to view them. I assume the other EFB apps allow you to do the same.

Very useful for the checklist.

Last edited:
I use GoodReader. I think I paid $4.99 for it, but it has search, highlight, etc... I have folders for Army Docs and FAA stuff. I don't think I use all the functions it would allow me to.

Another vote for GoodReader. We use it at work for the exact purpose you described.

I've always used Documents Pro for all my service manuals. Fantastic search capability and display. It opens almost any document as well.

There's a cheaper version that just does PDF's by the same developer - QuickSearch PDF Reader.

Back