Which approach is best when writing a LOR for an Airline Pilot prospect?

TexasFlightServices

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Princess Pilot
Fellow Aviators,

A student of ours is requesting a letter of recommendation. I am well versed and will speak of how great the student he was. Employers know that any letters of recommendation that are submitted (as well as references) are going to be positive in nature. I don't want to sound to sappy, but I know he will do amazing in Part 121.

Would you, as the hiring board, want to read a letter highlighting more of my opinion of him, or how he flies the aircraft?

Advice is appreciated.

Princess Pilot

Last edited:
Fellow Aviators,

A student of ours is requesting a letter of recommendation. I am well versed and will speak of how great a student he was. Employers know that any letters of recommendation that are submitted (as well as references) are going to be positive in nature. I don't want to sound to sappy, but I know he will do amazing in Part 121.

Would you, as the hiring board, want to read a letter highlighting more of my opinion of him, or how he flies the aircraft?

Advice is appreciated.

Princess Pilot

both. the first goes to his integrity and how he interacts with others, important in CRM. the other goes to his ability to learn and fly different aicraft safely, and how rapidly he gets up to speed in the new aircraft.

I would want to know what kind of person I am hiring/interviewing, not what kind of pilot I am hiring/interviewing. If he has a commercial/ATP, he can probably fly. Then again since LORs are usually only going to say good things, I'd probably circular file it anyway.

Last edited:
Try this,

To whom it may concern,

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend <insert name here> be considered for a training class at your airline. I have first hand experience that <inh> will be an excellent fit with your organization as they have no self esteem or self respect.

Commuting on two of their three days off in two weeks will not be a problem as they have no ability to attract spouse, let alone lover. I know first hand they will sleep in any substandard hotel you see fit as I have personally observed them sleeping in a Walmart parking lot under a parked truck.

They will be happy to fly your planes for poverty wages as just last month I observed them digging through a dumpster looking for food. They have no self worth and will gladly bow to your dispatch to fly in any weather in order to maintain any schedule. Add a trip? They will have no problem seeing that as the original plan to get the mission done.

I'm quite certain too that maintence issues will be seen as 'late pax' or 'weather'...which ever your dispatcher decides. All this will be quite fine as I've personally heard them speak of their deep down desire for shiny jets.

In addition to the above I jlshould mention I have a deep hatred of <inh> as they killed my dog and were directly responsible for my house burning down. Again, they have my complete recommendation for a pilot position for your airline.

Sincerely,

<insert your name here>

I would give his personality traits,and how he works with others. Also mention his clean flying record. Don't go overboard with your praise.

One big headache for airline pilot supervisors is "calling in sick (when not sick)". If it's true, put that he was never tardy or unprepared for even a single lesson. They also want "solid citizen" you know, RELIABLE.

I thought that only applies to "yacht captains"?

Nope, we don't work for peanuts, I make top scale which is pretty much the same as senior captain scale at the majors with complete portability of salary from one gig to the next. That's why I decided to pursue the maritime industry more so than aviation.

Nope, we don't work for peanuts, I make top scale which is pretty much the same as senior captain scale at the majors with complete portability of salary from one gig to the next. That's why I decided to pursue the maritime industry more so than aviation.

Right. :rolleyes2:

I've been around marinas and yachts most of my life to know better. While there are a few top paying jobs in yachting there are far more low pay "captain" positions with plenty of "captains" chasing them and willing to accept crap wages.

Right. :rolleyes2:

I've been around marinas and yachts most of my life to know better. While there are a few top paying jobs in yachting there are far more low pay "captain" positions with plenty of "captains" chasing them and willing to accept crap wages.

Yep, I'm not one of them, I don't chase crap jobs, I wait for the good ones, they come around frequently enough. There's a big difference between what you can chase and earn with a Yachtmaster ticket and a 3000 ton ocean master. I have never made as little running a boat as I have flying a plane.

Yep, I'm not one of them, I don't chase crap jobs, I wait for the good ones, they come around frequently enough. There's a big difference between what you can chase and earn with a Yachtmaster ticket and a 3000 ton ocean master. I have never made as little running a boat as I have flying a plane.

:rolleyes2:

Back