Whether to wait or find a new CFI...

Skyscraper

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skyscraper
So here's my story:

I'm a student with my solo endorsement. Got about 27 hours logged as PIC. Still have some CFI hours that I need as well as practicing things I'm not comfortable doing alone yet (stalls, x-country etc.). My instructor lives in Florida for part of the year and won't be returning until the end of June.

I really like my CFI, he's a great instructor and reasonably priced. I just feel a little too anxious to miss out on a good chunk of Summer flying that I could be doing if I get my PPL sooner. I have access to my own C150 so I would strictly be paying for the CFI's time (and fuel of course).

It's not that I want to rush anything, I just know I could finish my hours and training within the next six weeks or so and be on my way if I hired another instructor.

Thoughts? Am I just being too anxious? The one advantage I could see to hiring another CFI is that I'd be exposed to another style of teaching which I figure has to be a good thing. And it's not like I can't still hire my usual CFI for other training should I want to add another rating down the road...

Whatchall think?

I think continuity is important. The costs of stopping, waiting, and starting again can be obnoxious. I did that during my ppl due to financial issues and it cost me atleast an extra $1000. not to mention you will have to re-cover maneuvers, though I suspect a new instructor will make you do this as well. I would consider another instructor if there is one that is as good.

Try another instructor. I thought my first instructor was good until he left and I went to another one for instrument training, and then I realized the first one wasn't as good as I thought.

Try another CFI. Maybe two.
What's the worst that can happen?

You don't find someone you like, you can always wait until your current CFI returns.

Having soloed already, you likely already have the most important primary skills ingrained. Introducing a new CFI at this point will probably be less disruptive than it would have been if you were still on the steepest part of the learning curve. You know enough to be better able to evaluate a new CFI to determine whether he or she is a good match and to appreciate the nuances in his/her differences in philosophy, technique, etc.

I would talk to your instructor. He might be able to recommend someone who teaches much like he does. I know that if I go even a few weeks between flying, I feel rusty on the maneuvers that I'm working on.

You may have got lucky getting the world's greatest CFI for the first one...

or,..... you might not know that you actually don't have a good one, and there are far better ones across the ramp.....

or, ...... you might find the world's second greatest instructor, and that is still pretty damn good.

I guess I would suggest go fly with an instructor instead of sitting and waiting. If you don't like that one, find a third instructor. Still a better option than not flying.

Find another instructor. I wouldn't be waiting around if I were in your shoes.

I second (third, fourth...) everyone who says not to wait around. Get up and fly!

Find a new new CFI. Keep flying so you can keep your skills up.

Yup, any downsides to working with a different CFI will be far outweighed by the problems caused by not flying that long. Find another CFI and get it done! You should be able to be done by the time he's back...

And if it matters, you won't be hurting his feelings. Three months is a long time to wait. Ideally, he should have transitioned you to another instructor, perhaps briefing him on your progress and sharing your training records. While everyone's instructional style is different, you are training to the same Practical Test Standards.

Any chance the local DPE takes primary students? Might not be a bad idea to fly with him or her for the next three months, then get back with your instructor for the final three hours and sign off. It will make the checkride significantly less stressful.

Looking pretty unanimous to me hahaha. I suppose the search is on then...

Good choice. I'll see you tomorrow. Maybe someone at the flyin will be able to give you a referal. I could in my area, but Lincoln would be a little far for you.

Good choice. I'll see you tomorrow. Maybe someone at the flyin will be able to give you a referal. I could in my area, but Lincoln would be a little far for you.

If you've got someone in my area that you'd recommend I'd love to hear it. See you tomorrow!

i am in florida and took a 6 mos hiatus from my instrument rating because the instructor was one of those part time florida residents. i didn't take to the rating like a duck to water, took a number of hours to get it and one reason was the 6 months hiatus. I strongly recommend finding someone who can help you now and not wait.

I finally got the rating by doing just that, getting another instructor when the first one went back north for the second summer/fall, kept at it and perhaps even got helped by having another someone's idea of how to teach imposed on me.

I have to agree with everyone that has given you the advice to find another one.
You will be the only one that will lose out if you take a break from training, it is better to fly as often as possible without any interruptions.

Another option is to follow your original instructor down here to Florida and continue training in Sunny Florida.

I would seek out another CFI just for the fresh approach. You sound like you'll remain engaged with your own plane and the solo endorsement. Take it as an opportunity to intentionally seek out a CFI with a different approach or philosophy as your CFI. The alternative perspective could add depth to your learning experience.

I would seek out another CFI just for the fresh approach. You sound like you'll remain engaged with your own plane and the solo endorsement. Take it as an opportunity to intentionally seek out a CFI with a different approach or philosophy as your CFI. The alternative perspective could add depth to your learning experience.

Good point. I seemed to sort of be stalled in my instrument training with my migrating instructor. Things seemed to start moving fairly rapidly with the fresh approach and a new instructor.

Good point. I seemed to sort of be stalled in my instrument training with my migrating instructor. Things seemed to start moving fairly rapidly with the fresh approach and a new instructor.

I tried to go twice a week, but there were periods where we had to skip a week due to weather/vacation, and I could see things slipping. Gotta keep it fresh. You'll waste money and time relearning stuff if you don't keep it continuous.

Agree with what I have read so far. Ask your CFI to recommend someone for you to continue. If your CFI leaves the area for months at a time, he should be understanding of your desire to continue uninterrupted. He can work with you on an IR next time around.

Back