Whether To Fly

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
There is an old joke about the student pilot that studies the weather, learns a lot about it, becomes a private pilot that studies a little less but with experience can do a fair job of deciphering the weather, then becomes a commercial pilot who glances at the prog charts and has a pretty good idea what to expect, then starts flying for the airlines and can take one good look at a flight attendant and tell whether.

Anyway, I've had a LaCrosse weather station on my workbench now for about ten years and it finally crapped out. What I'd like to find is a weather station for the PC. Most of the money in a desktop weather station must be in the custom LCD readout and all I want is a remote sensing temp, wind, rain, and other remote parameters wirelessly transmitted to a receiver in my house that plugs into a USB port on the computer. I mean, I've got a $600 display with color and all that; I don't need a second instrument clogging up valuable bench space. If I want to see the weather, I can call it up on the computer.

Anybody got a pointer to one that they particularly like?

Jim :cheerswine:

There is an old joke about the student pilot that studies the weather, learns a lot about it, becomes a private pilot that studies a little less but with experience can do a fair job of deciphering the weather, then becomes a commercial pilot who glances at the prog charts and has a pretty good idea what to expect, then starts flying for the airlines and can take one good look at a flight attendant and tell whether.

Anyway, I've had a LaCrosse weather station on my workbench now for about ten years and it finally crapped out. What I'd like to find is a weather station for the PC. Most of the money in a desktop weather station must be in the custom LCD readout and all I want is a remote sensing temp, wind, rain, and other remote parameters wirelessly transmitted to a receiver in my house that plugs into a USB port on the computer. I mean, I've got a $600 display with color and all that; I don't need a second instrument clogging up valuable bench space. If I want to see the weather, I can call it up on the computer.

Anybody got a pointer to one that they particularly like?

Jim :cheerswine:
Wait, you basically want an ASOS/AWOS in your workbench??

I like the way you think! I'm subscribing to see where this leads sorry I can't help much!

Wait, you basically want an ASOS/AWOS in your workbench??

I like the way you think! I'm subscribing to see where this leads sorry I can't help much!

No, not really. The LaCrosse had indoor temp, outdoor temp, wind speed and direction from an anemometer on the roof, barometric pressure, rising/falling, rainfall, moon phase, sunrise, sunset, and a few other self-contained goodies all read out on a liquid crystal screen. I want the same functions, but as an application on my desktop computer through a wireless/usb connection to the outdoor sensors.

No, not really. The LaCrosse had indoor temp, outdoor temp, wind speed and direction from an anemometer on the roof, barometric pressure, rising/falling, rainfall, moon phase, sunrise, sunset, and a few other self-contained goodies all read out on a liquid crystal screen. I want the same functions, but as an application on my desktop computer through a wireless/usb connection to the outdoor sensors.

OOOOO I see. That'd be pretty neat!

I've had several different weatherstations over the years and have had the most luck with Davis. It doesn't look like they offer a console-less package but they do have the pieces (wireless sensor suite and data logger). You might give them a call and see if they'd sell just those components without a display. Alternatively their VantageVue system is fairly inexpensive at $400, especially given that the sensors are NIST traceable, something you don't get with any other affordable system.

I have a widget on my computer that was free and gives me all that stuff at the airport, which is where I'm worried about it. I don't fly out of my house.

Back