Where to start?

Re: Where to start?/The Story

EXCELLENT!!! Now we're waiting for the STORY!! :D :D :D

Good job! :)

I showed up at the airport an hour early with my instructor (the examiner came to us). I did not think I was nervous, but I kept dropping things and I FORGOT ALL MY XC stuff, charts, flight log. It was all on my dining-room table at HOME! - I drove home and retrieved it just in time. When I was pulling back into the airport, the examiner was getting out of his airplane.

The oral part was fairly easy. The DFE (or DPE?) Anyway, he was very nice. It was a conversational type of exchange, it really set me at ease. We went over just about everything while talking about the X/C.

MY first take-off he asked for a short-field takeoff. After we lifted off, I noticed that I forgot to set my flaps at two notches, and thought GREAT, you failed in the first 10 min. I looked at him and asked if I could do it again. He smiled and said you don't always have to have flaps on a short field (Whew!!). We continued on....everything was ok - I could barely talk due to my dry mouth, I was sweating profusely, and kept having to wipe my hands on my pants, so they didn't slip on the yoke.

When we came back to GBR, He covered up everything except the altimeter and told me to land. Wow, that was exciting. And I did it.

Other than that, it was uneventful. I did get teary-eyed when he congratulated me on being a pilot.

I went home and took a nap. Then celebrated with my husband and friends.

:cheerswine:

Re: Where to start?/The Story

I showed up at the airport an hour early with my instructor (the examiner came to us). I did not think I was nervous, but I kept dropping things and I FORGOT ALL MY XC stuff, charts, flight log. It was all on my dining-room table at HOME! - I drove home and retrieved it just in time. When I was pulling back into the airport, the examiner was getting out of his airplane.

The oral part was fairly easy. The DFE (or DPE?) Anyway, he was very nice. It was a conversational type of exchange, it really set me at ease. We went over just about everything while talking about the X/C.

MY first take-off he asked for a short-field takeoff. After we lifted off, I noticed that I forgot to set my flaps at two notches, and thought GREAT, you failed in the first 10 min. I looked at him and asked if I could do it again. He smiled and said you don't always have to have flaps on a short field (Whew!!). We continued on....everything was ok - I could barely talk due to my dry mouth, I was sweating profusely, and kept having to wipe my hands on my pants, so they didn't slip on the yoke.

When we came back to GBR, He covered up everything except the altimeter and told me to land. Wow, that was exciting. And I did it.

Other than that, it was uneventful. I did get teary-eyed when he congratulated me on being a pilot.

I went home and took a nap. Then celebrated with my husband and friends.

:cheerswine:

Way to go! Congrats! :cheerswine:

Congratulations Vikki! Now go and take your hubby and friends flying! :yes:

Way to go, Vikki! I have some new advice for you:
When I got my SEL, I was pretty sure that I did not want an instrument rating. Still, other pilots advised me to start building my Cross County hours. They said, "If you are going on a 35 mile trip to an airport for lunch, find a field another 15 miles on the other side of it. Do a touch and go, then fly back to your original destination for lunch. Then you can log all the hours as 'cross country.'"
I will recommend the same approach to you. You have the license to learn. Once you get a few dozen more hours, you will start to itch for the challenge of the Instrument Rating. Go for it!
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Assuming you plan on using your flying skills to go places, sooner or later you'll end up stopped by fairly benign weather where an instrument rating would let you continue.

You'll learn a LOT by making some long cross country flights under VFR, and having to deal with weather. You can also die pushing the weather, so be sure to be very careful.

I PASSED!!!

Thanks Everyone. Now on to checking out in my RV-6A.

Vikki Greenleaf
PP-ASEL

Vikki,

Awesome! Congratulations on your achievement! Hopefully you'll get started on your instrument rating soon.

Also, very cool that you're going to get checked out in your RV-6A! Post pics of it and make sure you get a good check out! :yes:

Back