Where to let a dog poop

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Or pee for that matter.

Piper and I are gonna go flying this week. I know he'll need to make when we land, so where do y'all let them go? On the ramp followed by a clean up, or do you find a place more secluded where people won't be watching?

It wouldnt bother me to see him go and just be done with it. Now if there was going to be 20 or so odd dogs doing that, then maybe the clean up. The odds of stepping in one pile of dung within 200 acres is not that big of a deal to me. Don't get me wrong, I would probably be the small percentage that would actually step in it, but it still wouldnt bother me. Plus, it will help the grass. :)

A supply of those plastic garbage bags is great for this sort of thing. Just turn it inside out and wear it like a glove to pick up the mess. :)

inav8r said:
A supply of those plastic garbage bags is great for this sort of thing. Just turn it inside out and wear it like a glove to pick up the mess. :)

Plastic grocery sacks, bread wrappers, any plastic bag thingie your food comes in can all be recycled to scoop poop. For free. :) Don't throw them away now, Nick. Start a collection. (You already paid for them once.) If you cut down a liquid laundry soap or bleach bottle, you can make a handy dandy plastic scoop for softer poops, which can be washed and sealed in a heavy duty Ziplock. (Or, you can keep a couple and make them disposable.)

The only issues you may have is if your dog isn't feeling well and has poop that requires a hose.

Suggest you can put him on a leash as soon as you land (if he isn't already) and do your best to encourage him (if at all possible) NOT to squat until you've moved off to a likely location. Then let him off leash (if the location/time allows it.)

terry

For your hands Nick, take plenty of hand sanitizer with you. Baby wipes (or wetones) work good for cleaning things up,they are not just babies bottoms ya know.

Definetely keep him on a leash when you are anywhere near a ramp.

Dogs have a thing for propellers and a real BIG thing for tail rotors. I'm not sure if it's the noise or the motion that says "HERE BOY" in dogspeak but it's there.

Joe

SkyHog said:
do you find a place more secluded where people won't be watching?
I didn't realize dogs were that modest. :D

We bought those little rolls of bags that attach to the leash. "Bag on Board" I think it's called. Great to have!

terzap said:
Don't throw them away now, Nick. Start a collection.
Terry, for a moment there I didn't catch that you were talking about the bags. :eek: ;)

-Skip

Areeda said:
Dogs have a thing for propellers and a real BIG thing for tail rotors.
AMEN! My grandfather's dog attacked the business end of a snowblower. He lived, but just barely. It removed several teeth and fractured the jaw.

-Skip

terzap said:
Suggest you can put him on a leash as soon as you land (if he isn't already) and do your best to encourage him (if at all possible) NOT to squat until you've moved off to a likely location. Then let him off leash (if the location/time allows it.)
I agree and would take it a step further.

My dog will pretty much go when I tell her to....if she actually has to go. We'll move to a spot, I'll tell her to go ("Hurry up") and if she has to go, she'll sniff around for 30 seconds, find a spot (don't ask me what the special criteria is for that decision 'cause it's a mystery to me), and squat as needed.

Please clean up after your dog, regardless of where it is or how many people are around. In the dry Southwest, that stuff is rock hard inside of 30 minutes in the summertime but other climates tend to do different things. It's a breeding spot for flies, too, which no one seems to like....me, especially.

Depending on circumstances, it may not be YOU that decides where ol' Piper is gonna "go".

Piper may just well be the one in charge of THAT decision! What YOU get to do is be prepared - both baggily and emotionally!! :D

Find a place in the grass, and let the dog go there.

Funny. It always bothers me that you can take your dog out hiking and have to clean up after them. Horses? They've got some special poop pass.

Skip Miller said:
Sorry to Hijack your thread Nick, I am getting a bad habit of doing that....
The pictures show several horses tolerating this "diaper" well.
In my experience, horses would balk at this , it COULD be done but me thinks it would be like trying to "break" them again. They just dont like things around the flanks. THAT is not done like you see in the cowboy movies. (At least for a pleasure horse) It takes a couple of years to "gentle break" them actually, from a yearling when you begin to lean on him and halter break him to him/her "to allowing" you to put a saddle on him and to getting/staying aboard. Once he tolerates you and saddle, it takes a while for them to learn to do what you want of them. I WOULD NOT put one of these on our horses
I say our, but they are actually my sisters. She is the owner, I am the groom, truck/horse trailer driver, feed/hay hauler, pay the entry fees for showing..etc. and when I have been a real good boy, get to clean the stalls.)
It is all worth it tho, especially when my 6 year old nephew yells "look at me Uncle KD, I'm RIDING!!!

Last edited:
Nick, To address your question, as I stated, I GET to clean stalls. I use a rake and oversizaed pitch fork. There is No way I would put my hand in a plastic bag and pick up poop, horse ,dog or any other!!
For the pup. A "pooper scooper" would be my choice. And rather than use
the plastic bags as others have suggested, please use biodegradable bags.

http://www.petstreetmall.com/Scoop-N-Bag-Pooper-Scooper/4242/1665/

Last edited:
Thanks all. I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna take Piper up in an hour or so. We'll see how he reacts!

Nick,

You're going about it all wrong. Pooper scoopers and plastic bags? Please...

Get a cabin-class twin and let your dog use the lav.

-Rich
/late to the party

SkyHog said:
Thanks all. I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna take Piper up in an hour or so. We'll see how he reacts!

Soooo.............how did he do?????????

Kaye said:
Soooo.............how did he do?????????

I've got a story and pictures. Just gotta wait for the pics to be developed. He did well.

Skip Miller said:
AMEN! My grandfather's dog attacked the business end of a snowblower. He lived, but just barely. It removed several teeth and fractured the jaw.

-Skip
I had one attack my car on Halloween night. I didn't see him and he jumped out of the ditch and bit my tire (he was ok)

SkyHog said:
I've got a story and pictures. Just gotta wait for the pics to be developed. He did well.

eek - quoting myself.

I lost the camera, left it on the wing departed Belen with it there. Good news: I went back today, and it was still there, on the centerline of the taxiway. So now, I will get them developed :D

What luck, eh?

SkyHog said:
I went back today, and it was still there, on the centerline of the taxiway. So now, I will get them developed :D

What luck, eh?

It just means that pilots are getting lax and not taxiing (sp?) on the centerline! :goofy:

In general, most animals would like to hide their scat. What I've managed to do is have my dog "go in the woods". What it means to him is to find a spot out of the way. I use the baggie method to clean up after him.
Some people have their dog use the same spot in their yard.
It's not hard to educate them as to what you mean. Once house trained, lead him outside on a leash to the area you want him to use. Repeat the same phrase you want to use like "in the woods" and reward him when he does well.
Always be ready to clean up. Be a concientious dog owner.
Glad he did well. How'd Dad do?

I second the notion that you should always pick up poop and dispose of it. The problem is, if you don't, no one else will, and it will go from being an isolated case to a major problem.

I think the reason that horse poop gets a pass is that it is largely vegetable matter, and basically dissolves into a little pile of cellulose clippings. One reason that cow dung is worse than horse dung is that cows can actually digest the stuff, so their waste has a higher proportion of the yucky stuff. But dog poop is ALL yucky stuff.

And that's probably more than you wanted to know.

Judy

SkyHog said:
I lost the camera, left it on the wing departed Belen with it there.
One MORE reason that high wings are better than low wings!!! :D :D

Bet ya wouldn't have left it on the wing of a 172!

SkyHog said:
eek - quoting myself.

I lost the camera, left it on the wing departed Belen with it there. Good news: I went back today, and it was still there, on the centerline of the taxiway. So now, I will get them developed :D

What luck, eh?
I once left my Garmin 295 GPS in it's bag just outside the door the same way. I went back and got it, intact, too.

mikea said:
I once left my Garmin 295 GPS in it's bag just outside the door the same way. I went back and got it, intact, too.
It's not luck - it's about the personal honesty and honor of the folks that hang around airports!

That's my take on it, anyway. ;)

etsisk said:
One MORE reason that high wings are better than low wings!!! :D :D

It just would have been damaged worse when falling off the high wing. :rolleyes: ;)

judypilot said:
I second the notion that you should always pick up poop and dispose of it. The problem is, if you don't, no one else will, and it will go from being an isolated case to a major problem.

I think the reason that horse poop gets a pass is that it is largely vegetable matter, and basically dissolves into a little pile of cellulose clippings. One reason that cow dung is worse than horse dung is that cows can actually digest the stuff, so their waste has a higher proportion of the yucky stuff. But dog poop is ALL yucky stuff.

And that's probably more than you wanted to know.

Judy

It's still POOP.

While I don't let my dog poop in the middle of a trail, parking lot, or someone's lawn, You're not going to find me picking up his poop just to put it in some trash can. At least not until those on horses dismount and shovel it off the trail.

Equality for dogs! :yes:

etsisk said:

Maybe I'm an idiot. But I have left something on the wing of a 172...It..took quite the spill.

I mean I could see a low wing having something left on it but a high wing? How does someone leave something on top of a high wing aircraft other than the fuel cap, which someone may have forgotten to replace?

Back