Where to go?

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I am trying to think of a place to take a girl to dinner and thought I would ask here since you guys have been doing to $100 burger longer than me. I was thinking Santa Fe would be a fun trip to make and not too far away so any real good date places there would be appreciated. I am open to suggestions though, I would like to stay probably in the 2.5hr range from Lubbock but would go a little farther if the dining were worth it.
Thanks guys

Santa Fe is good - lots of good food on the square and there abouts. I used Capital Air and a rental car when I was there for a corp. conference. I don't know if they have a loaner but I'm sure a call to them would get you on the right track. I wouldn't recommend flying out of SAF at night to a flatlander. Heck, I probably wouldn't fly out of SAF at night and I learned to fly in the front range of the Rockies.

Of course you could make Amarillo, Dallas, or OKC. For a dinner date, I'd suggest a shorter flight (unless she really likes to fly the plane) and just go for good eats. AMA would work for that. I think that about an hour flight is long enough to let a newby fly a bit and short enough to keep it from getting boring.

A website, www.adventurepilot.com, will list some places near selected airport. Maybe that'd help. Of course, maybe some of the folks who go to Marfa could help out a bit.

I would like to stay probably in the 2.5hr range from Lubbock but would go a little farther if the dining were worth it.

I don't know anything about the $100 burger joints in your neck of the woods, but if you want another date after this one and your date hasn't already flown with you, a 2.5 hour flight each way for dinner is probably a bad idea.

Baby steps! Take her for a quick hop around town (a "city tour" we call it here), and then go out for a nice dinner on the ground. Then, graduate to the $100 burgers and later the weekend getaways. :yes:

Yea that's probably a good idea. I'm just so used to my cross country trips being cross Texas that the short ones don't feel as fun. But I can definitely understand how it would get boring for someone who doesn't just absolutely love it. The problem with being out here is that AMA is really the only airport within an hour. Dallas and OKC are both two hours away. I need to find one of these small west Texas towns that has an amazing restaurant.

Ok, so after a search these are the airports within a 100nm radius from me. That would make it about a 1hr trip depending on the wind.

map.jpg

Lubbock, TX
Abernathy, TX
Slaton, TX
Levelland, TX
Crosbyton, TX
Tahoka, TX
Plainview, TX
Floydada, TX
Littlefield, TX
Brownfield, TX
Post, TX
Kress, TX
Morton, TX
Muleshoe, TX
Tulia, TX
Lamesa, TX
Seagraves, TX
Plains, TX
Dimmitt, TX
Denver City, TX
Jayton, TX
Seminole, TX
Snyder, TX
Friona, TX
Hereford, TX
Clovis, NM
Paducah, TX
Amarillo, TX
Portales, NM
Canyon, TX
Colorado City, TX
Aspermont, TX
Rotan/Roby, TX
Andrews, TX
Big Spring, TX
Clarendon, TX
Amarillo, TX
Childress, TX
Stanton, TX
Lovington, NM
Amarillo, TX
Memphis, TX
Hobbs, NM
Amarillo, TX
Conway, TX
Hamlin, TX
Vega, TX
Midland, TX
Sweetwater, TX

An embarrassment of riches by any measure.
Ok, so after a search these are the airports within a 100nm radius from me. That would make it about a 1hr trip depending on the wind.

map.jpg

Lubbock, TX
Abernathy, TX
Slaton, TX
Levelland, TX
Crosbyton, TX
Tahoka, TX
Plainview, TX
Floydada, TX
Littlefield, TX
Brownfield, TX
Post, TX
Kress, TX
Morton, TX
Muleshoe, TX
Tulia, TX
Lamesa, TX
Seagraves, TX
Plains, TX
Dimmitt, TX
Denver City, TX
Jayton, TX
Seminole, TX
Snyder, TX
Friona, TX
Hereford, TX
Clovis, NM
Paducah, TX
Amarillo, TX
Portales, NM
Canyon, TX
Colorado City, TX
Aspermont, TX
Rotan/Roby, TX
Andrews, TX
Big Spring, TX
Clarendon, TX
Amarillo, TX
Childress, TX
Stanton, TX
Lovington, NM
Amarillo, TX
Memphis, TX
Hobbs, NM
Amarillo, TX
Conway, TX
Hamlin, TX
Vega, TX
Midland, TX
Sweetwater, TX

If I had riches we would be headed to a coast in my own turbine powered plane. Not trying to stay close in the cheapest Cherokee I can rent. Thanks though.

I'm just trying to do something a little different and unique. I think it would be a great time.

Ask her what she thinks. Here's what I would do. Go out to the airport about 6 pm, do all the preflight and prep, get greasy and sweaty doing all the pilot stuff that makes you feel studly, then go home and take a shower so you don't smell quite so much like a goat.

Pick sweet thing up about 7, take leisurely ride out to the airport and show her around, plan for a 30-minute sight seeing tour around town, let her see it from a different perspective. Keep it gentle and smooth, go back and land. Talk about it for 10 minutes max after you land, then STFU about airplanes. Change the subject to stuff she likes. Have a nice dinner in the best joint in Lubbock, and you'll eat a lot better than at any greasy spoon in west Texas and save about $300 in airplane rental that will be a total waste on her anyway.

If she brings up airplanes again respond to the question, but limit the time to mini-sermon length if possible.

I'm just trying to do something a little different and unique. I think it would be a great time.

The Big Texan is in Amarillo. The food there is pretty good.:blueplane:

I agree with the others. I've taken guys up that I'm dating and not everyone likes flying. :nonod: Take her up around sunset when the air is smooth for a short sight-seeing ride. See how well she likes it. Besides, you wanna make sure she's gonna stick around for a while to justify the expense of a longer trip!

My girlfriend is the first girl I've taken flying that actually helped sell me to her (I think). Most girls don't give 2 squats anymore about being a pilot. I don't know why.

That said, if she is one of the few that still cares, you're gonna win her over with a nice flight up to Amarillo, where there are a lot of nice steakhouses to go to for a great date. Try to plan the return flight to happen at night, so you can point out the beauty of the city lights of Amarillo and possibly Lubbock. Keep the radio chit chat to a minimum (flight following in west Texas is a waste of time at night anyway), and concentrate on developing good conversation.

Turn on the autopilot and make out a bit if you can. That will sell you for sure, but more than anything, make sure she's having fun. Let her fly if she will, and tell her "There's nothing more sexy than a female pilot!"

Most girls don't give 2 squats anymore about being a pilot. I don't know why.

Usually when one of my friends meets a single pilot, they automatically brush him off and try to send him over to me. I keep telling them that I don’t want to date a pilot! Besides, I’m pretty happy with my current situation.

I think for some girls, they may think that if a guy is a pilot, he’s (she’s) an adrenaline junkie. Which may be true to some extent, I guess…. Girls may be afraid that the guy is gonna want her to try it out. And then what happens if she doesn’t like it, or gets hurt, or whatever? I’ve also witnessed pilot guys be pompous a$$es about the fact that they are pilots, which will backfire 100% of the time.

I was at a bar once and a guy started up a conversation with me and he started telling me that he was a pilot in the military (this guy didn’t know my background at all.) He was going on and on about it, and **** wasn’t making sense. I asked him what kind of aircraft he flew, to which he responded “A Cessna.” I quickly replied, “Oh, so that’s the only brand of airplane you’ve ever heard of before, huh?” He was a little embarrassed that I busted him in his story. The conversation was downhill after that. He did end up dating my friend for a while though!

You'd be better off just handing her $100 and tell her to go do something nice for herself and send her on her merry way. Then take all the money would waste on subsequent dates and spend it on flying.

I was at a bar once and a guy started up a conversation with me and he started telling me that he was a pilot in the military (this guy didn’t know my background at all.) He was going on and on about it, and **** wasn’t making sense. I asked him what kind of aircraft he flew, to which he responded “A Cessna.” I quickly replied, “Oh, so that’s the only brand of airplane you’ve ever heard of before, huh?” He was a little embarrassed that I busted him in his story. The conversation was downhill after that. He did end up dating my friend for a while though!

Maybe he flew the a couple of the converted ones used in Nam. :rofl:

You'd be better off just handing her $100 and tell her to go do something nice for herself and send her on her merry way. Then take all the money would waste on subsequent dates and spend it on flying.

Nothing like being your cynical self Mr. Edward. :D

Pick sweet thing up about 7, take leisurely ride out to the airport and show her around, plan for a 30-minute sight seeing tour around town, let her see it from a different perspective. Keep it gentle and smooth, go back and land. Talk about it for 10 minutes max after you land, then STFU about airplanes. Change the subject to stuff she likes. Have a nice dinner in the best joint in Lubbock, and you'll eat a lot better than at any greasy spoon in west Texas and save about $300 in airplane rental that will be a total waste on her anyway.

If she brings up airplanes again respond to the question, but limit the time to mini-sermon length if possible.

That sounds like a good idea thank you.

The Big Texan is in Amarillo. The food there is pretty good.:blueplane:
Yea and we can ride up there in their limo with the longhorns on the front! That is a fun place to eat, they make a big show of it up there.

Turn on the autopilot and make out a bit if you can. That will sell you for sure, but more than anything, make sure she's having fun. Let her fly if she will, and tell her "There's nothing more sexy than a female pilot!"

I LOVE IT!! Now if only the autopilot worked...:frown2:
I definitely like the way you think though.

And sadly, you are probably the most right out of all.

Alright, so I finally got the weather on my side and everything organized and got to do it tonight. We went and ate dinner and then went for a 1.2hr sunset flight. Couldn't have gone any better, turns out she wants to get her ticket when she graduates and has never been in a GA plane before. So she ate up every second of it. Thanks for all the suggestions y'all.

I don't know many places up norht in Lubbock. I lived in San Angelo and even then that was a while ago. I do not know if it is even still there but Zettner's and Zettner's Daughter were two really nice and reasonable restaurants in the San Angelo area. Looking at Adventure Pilot does not yield a whole lot of results either

stars-0-0.gif
Miller's Flying Service Restaurants PVW 30.7 2
stars-0-0.gif
Country Pride Restaurant Restaurants 1E4 88.7 3
stars-0-0.gif
English Field House Restaurants AMA 93.5

A few of the flyboys out at Dyess AFBalso recommended Joe Allen's in Abilene to me, also.

http://www.joeallens.com/

Nothing fancy, but good eating.

Tell ya' what, Steve: next time you head out this way, let's just go over there and have a comparison meal.

Alright, so I finally got the weather on my side and everything organized and got to do it tonight. We went and ate dinner and then went for a 1.2hr sunset flight. Couldn't have gone any better, turns out she wants to get her ticket when she graduates and has never been in a GA plane before. So she ate up every second of it. Thanks for all the suggestions y'all.

Nice! Now did you use my autopilot trick?

Nice! Now did you use my autopilot trick?

I think he said the auto pilot was inop, so he probably let her take the controls. That way her hands were busy and his were free to wonder around the cockpit.:D

I think he said the auto pilot was inop, so he probably let her take the controls. That way her hands were busy and his were free to wonder around the cockpit.:D

Yes, unfortunately the autopilot is inop. And thats probably a good way to put it.:rolleyes:

Back