Where to go in Oklahoma?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Our 12-year-old granddaughter will be surprised by an invitation to fly to a lunch destination with her grandfather on Friday. She is in Tulsa and we would like to choose a destination within about 75 miles (less than an hour) where there is a restaurant on the field or very close.

This will be her first flight allowed by her parents. She has been asking her grandfather to take her flying for around 10 years.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Julia and I went to Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater (her college town) during Gaston's weekend. That seems like a good hundred dollar hamburger, although I don't know about getting a car from the airport (we drove from Cushing). Tristan might have some better information on that.

Enriques Mexican right on the field at Ponca City. Great food, fair prices and always a crosswind.

IIRC, weaherford, ok was pretty dang close to a place with buffalo meat steaks

IIRC, weaherford, ok was pretty dang close to a place with buffalo meat steaks

The Mexican place at Ponca city would work. It's by no means fancy but the food is pretty good and its right on the field.

Enriques Mexican right on the field at Ponca City. Great food, fair prices and always a crosswind.

I will agree that Enriques is good, however all taxiways are under construction. So back taxiing for take off is required and the pattern was pretty busy when I was there. Be sure to check for traffic in the pattern before taxiing out and traffic on the runway when coming in.

Enrique's is good. I was wondering whether there is somewhere closer to Tulsa, though. We will be flying into Ponca City on Wednesday and will bring three other grandchildren from there to Tulsa on Thanksgiving.

We want to take the 12-year-old on a special trip that is not where her cousins have been.

That would be 315 nm at Sikeston, MO. But I think there's one in Springfield, MO, which is closer at 144 nm (I think they come get you at that one, too...)

Last edited:
Enrique's is good. I was wondering whether there is somewhere closer to Tulsa, though. We will be flying into Ponca City on Wednesday and will bring three other grandchildren from there to Tulsa on Thanksgiving.

We want to take the 12-year-old on a special trip that is not where her cousins have been.

In Shawnee, where I keep my plane, there is a BBQ place down the street from the airport called Billie Boy Barbeque. I think the airport has a courtesy car you can use. There are always a couple in the parking lot that say City of Shawnee. I would call ahead to be sure if you wanted to give that a try.

For a little further distance(about 130nm), in Harrison,Arkansas (KHRO) I ate at a very good sandwich place called Neighbors Mill.

The Blue Pig BBQ is on the airport ramp at KADM. 125 nm, but the name alone might make her happy.

I'm probably to late for this one, but try Bad Brads in Pawhuska. Really good smoked meats, and awesome prime rib & ribeyes on the weekends.

Back