Where to get keys?

Joe_B1

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Joe_B
I want to have a spare set of keys for the Archer. I have been to a few hardware stores but no luck. Are these things made of unobtanium?

Probably have better luck at a locksmith.

The hardware store model has seemed to move away from having a large key blank inventory to maintaining only the highest runners over the last several years.

It is a standard blank, I forget the number. But stay away from the big box hardware stores. I have had not problem with my local small hardware store and a real lock smith. I have had made a dozen or more over the years of ownership with no issue.

I had the same issue, and it wasn't even a factory (Piper/Cessna/Beech) key. Hardware stores, Wally World, all of them seem to have gone with the same or similar skill-free system for duplicating the most common keys. My local locksmith had no problem making them for $1.65 or something a pop, I just had to get there when they were open.

Find five people that have archers and steal their keys. One set should fit. ;)

Yup! I've seen that approach before! Necropost below.

If this is your typical Cessna key then take a couple of XC trips and each FBO ask to go through their lost&found. Collect 3-4 Cessna keys and there's about a 95% chance one of them will work.

I had a 1992 Chevy, that key got into many cessna and archers.

I had to find the blank online for my old c140 and the local hardware ground it for free - prob because I’m there all the time, it works just fine

Back