Where to fly around Austin?

tangopapa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tangopapa
I should have my PPL in the next 90 days. My brother lives in Austin and I'd like to take him up in the air for a little while and just tool around and do some sight-seeing. I was looking at renting and departing from KAUS.

Any advice from those of you familiar with the area? Any place nearby to get $100 BBQ?

KAQO has good BBQ, also 11R (Brenham) and T82 (Fredericksburg) has good burgers on field. I've heard that Stinson (KSSF) just ha their restaurant reopen.

I should have my PPL in the next 90 days. My brother lives in Austin and I'd like to take him up in the air for a little while and just tool around and do some sight-seeing. I was looking at renting and departing from KAUS.

Any advice from those of you familiar with the area? Any place nearby to get $100 BBQ?
In addition to what David just said, consider Lockhart. Stop in at M&M Aviation (before 3pm) and ask for the barbeque patrol car and get directions to Chisholm Trail for BBQ.

Ryan

Lockhart for sure.
Smitty's BBQ is insane.
Get the fat brisket and some hot link....
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:hairraise:

I am getting hungry...

If I ever fly to Austin I want to come over the top of 41XS so I can report to ATC that I'm over Macho Grande (No I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande).

If I ever fly to Austin I want to come over the top of 41XS so I can report to ATC that I'm over Macho Grande (No I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande).

Well, I know what I'm doing as soon as my plane gets out of the shop.

Wow holy crap I actually know the people who own that airport - Mark is one of the pilots of the Devil Dog.

I'm not huge fan of Coopers in Llano, but they do leave a van at the airport for visiting pilots to use.

Edited to add:

If you have a day and about 3 hours of flying time I've found that guests are really impressed by being flown to the Mustang Beach airport ( KRAS ).

Give your passengers a little island tour before you enter the pattern.

Take the free trolley or a $12 cab ride and eat at Fins or Virginia on the Beach.

And if you want to stay overnight the only place to stay for a pilot is Amelia's Landing!

Last edited:
So, what does one do for fun in Austin? Things to do, places to go,,,,

Naw, seriously?

It's known as the Live Music Capitol of America. Lots of good history there, too.

Naw, seriously?

It's known as the Live Music Capitol of America. Lots of good history there, too.

You got that right, and SXSW is coming up too, so it's gonna be real good soon. :)

Well, I know what I'm doing as soon as my plane gets out of the shop.

I've gotta see this.

Lockhart for sure.
Smitty's BBQ is insane.
Get the fat brisket and some hot link....
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:hairraise:

Come on man!! As soon as I read "fat brisket and some hot link" I thought I had a ticked off cat in my stomach. My dear lord baby Jesus that's some good bbq!

In addition to what David just said, consider Lockhart. Stop in at M&M Aviation (before 3pm) and ask for the barbeque patrol car and get directions to Chisholm Trail for BBQ.

Ryan

I haven't eaten there yet! Yo, David, if you fly I'll buy! :) As long as I can be Jorge this time.

1. Go to Sixth Street, any night.
2. Follow your ears to the screaming blues guitars

The live music is amazing. In our business we rarely get away on real weekends, which means most places we go are dead. Not Austin!

On Mondays the Eric Tessmer Band plays on 6th St. at a bar called "Friends". If you like Stevie Ray Vaughan/Eric Clapton/Jimi Hendrix blues, that's the place to be. We only go to Austin on Mondays now, just to see his band perform.

And, incredibly, there is no cover to get in. I've paid big bucks to hear lesser musicians -- which is what we love about Austin. There are bands like this all over, playing for tips and drinks.

If you have money to burn, stay at the Driskill Hotel. It's a palace, right on 6th Street. It sure makes the crawl back to bed easier...

If you're on a budget, and don't mind chain motels, there's a La Quinta a few blocks away. It's uphill (literally) from all the bars, though, so be prepared for a heart attack-inducing stagger home.

Naw, seriously?

Hey, I am a New Englander and were alittle sheltered up here, LOL!!!
My First Officer may be heading to Austin on Biz so I was going to tag along. God Knows the first thing I am going to do is find a Bar-b-que joint
and indulge myself!!!

I once saw a show called Austin City Limits so maybe I can get partial credit for knowing something about Austin :)

1. Go to Sixth Street, any night.
2. Follow your ears to the screaming blues guitars

The live music is amazing. In our business we rarely get away on real weekends, which means most places we go are dead. Not Austin!

On Mondays the Eric Tessmer Band plays on 6th St. at a bar called "Friends". If you like Stevie Ray Vaughan/Eric Clapton/Jimi Hendrix blues, that's the place to be. We only go to Austin on Mondays now, just to see his band perform.

And, incredibly, there is no cover to get in. I've paid big bucks to hear lesser musicians -- which is what we love about Austin. There are bands like this all over, playing for tips and drinks.

If you have money to burn, stay at the Driskill Hotel. It's a palace, right on 6th Street. It sure makes the crawl back to bed easier...

If you're on a budget, and don't mind chain motels, there's a La Quinta a few blocks away. It's uphill (literally) from all the bars, though, so be prepared for a heart attack-inducing stagger home.

I likey already! What the hell am I doing here??????

I likey already! What the hell am I doing here??????

Austin is the reason we moved to Texas.

We flew there for the South By Southwest music festival in '09, and the kids got bored. (Austin's live music scene is very much an adults-only experience, sadly, so they couldn't go with us to much of the music.) So, in consolation, I promised that I would fly them to a beach.

....which is how we heard about Mustang Island...

...which is how we discovered Port Aransas....

...which is how our lives were changed forever... We went back to Iowa, sold our home and business, and moved to the island, where we have been happily building our new business.

Austin rocks! Actually, we haven't found a part of Texas that hasn't been great, yet! (And, for all you guys getting slammed by the big storm Up North, it's 67 here on the island tonight. The crickets and ocean are vying to see who can be louder...)
:D

Back