Where to find a CFI to move plane to Alaska?

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
Good evening, I am looking at buying a plane, 182 or Cherokee in the PAC NW and bringing it up to Anchorage or Fairbanks, wondering if you guys know where to find a CFI to accompany me?

Are you doing any flight training currently? Will the flight instructor you're currently using or another local instructor accompany you on the trip? If not, does the seller of the airplane you're interested in have an instructor they'd recommend who can fly with you?

Your least expensive options are going to involve finding an instructor at either the departure or destination. Otherwise, if you don't mind paying for air fare and time for an instructor to travel to the plane, fly with you, then fly home your options are endless and you might even find someone on here willing to do that.

I know a ATP, believe he is CFII as well who helped me move my plane. If interested PM me. He is from Indianapolis, so u will have to bear flight cost from his home base

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Are you doing any flight training currently? Will the flight instructor you're currently using or another local instructor accompany you on the trip? If not, does the seller of the airplane you're interested in have an instructor they'd recommend who can fly with you?

Your least expensive options are going to involve finding an instructor at either the departure or destination. Otherwise, if you don't mind paying for air fare and time for an instructor to travel to the plane, fly with you, then fly home your options are endless and you might even find someone on here willing to do that.

Yes I am taking lessons at a flight school but most of the instructors there don't have the time. I only have about 60 hours, my insurance will have me spend 3-4 hours with a cfi anyway to get checked out in it even after I get my license so I figured this is a good way to get to know my plane.

I fully expect to pay for expenses, airfare, time and fuel. My insurance requires a CFI supervision, and along the way I figure I could possibly get checked out for the necessary ratings, and complete my checkride when I get it home.

Yes I am taking lessons at a flight school but most of the instructors there don't have the time. I only have about 60 hours, my insurance will have me spend 3-4 hours with a cfi anyway to get checked out in it even after I get my license so I figured this is a good way to get to know my plane.

I fully expect to pay for expenses, airfare, time and fuel. My insurance requires a CFI supervision, and along the way I figure I could possibly get checked out for the necessary ratings, and complete my checkride when I get it home.

See if your instructor(s) have a recommendation for another instructor who can help. Or, ask the seller of the airplane for a recommendation local to them.

That's where I'd start. Otherwise, there are any number of instructors that might be interested in helping out depending on when you would need it done. I'm pretty busy the next few months but I'd possibly be game to help depending on when you're looking to have the plane moved.

See if your instructor(s) have a recommendation for another instructor who can help. Or, ask the seller of the airplane for a recommendation local to them.

That's where I'd start. Otherwise, there are any number of instructors that might be interested in helping out depending on when you would need it done. I'm pretty busy the next few months but I'd possibly be game to help depending on when you're looking to have the plane moved.

Thanks. I asked around but up north, it's one of the few months where the weather is halfway decent and not 30 below, so most instructors are in demand and busy. I was hoping to get it moved next month some time, and by someone based on the west coast to keep things easy

You don't need a CFI, you need a ferry pilot that doesn't mind letting you tag along. Ideally a ferry pilot that has a CFI credential. Get on the AK Outdoors Forums and ask there.

@alaskan9974 - I second the idea that your cheapest option is finding someone who lives in either the departure or destination city. But if you're willing to fly me out and back from Maine - plus a decent per diem, I'm in.

Plenty of CFIs to ask at various surrounding FBOs near your origin and destination. I asked the FBO where I'm picking my plane up from and an instructor was willing to accompany me back. But ultimately I found a CFI at my home field where I trained. (We are heading down next week to pick it up).

The tailwinds blow UP the coast (north to south). The clearest weather in 1st week in July.

Back