Where to eat lunch near KSAT?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'm on track with my goal to fly an Angel Flight every month this year--I'm taking next Tuesday the 14th off work and flying a gentleman to KSAT (San Antonio) from the DFW area. I've flown him before, so it will be nice to see him again. I've also flown into KSAT numerous times; for a "big airport", it's very easy. My wife is going to get to go with us, this will be her first Angel Flight.

I'm doing the "round trip" thing, so I'll get two missions out of the trip--the mission to take him down there in the morning, then the mission to take him home in the afternoon after his 11:30 appt.

I'm looking for suggestions of where to take my wife for lunch... should be somewhere near the airport and easy to get to/from KSAT, say within 10 or 15 minutes of the field.

Thanks,

Troy...

I live near SAT.

There is lots of stuff nearby. What kind of food are you interested in?

There are a bunch of restaurants at or near the Quarry: Paesanos, Piatti (both good/higher-end italian), Canyon Cafe (southwest), PF Chang, J. Alexanders, Joes Crab Shack, etc. There is a barbeque place off of Sandau Road (used to be Casey's, now something else). Texas Land & Cattle on 410 near the airport. There is a good Tex-Mex on Sunset (I'll have to look up the name)....

All of those are pretty close to the airport. I'm sure I can think of others if you have something particular in mind.

bill

I ate at that "J. Alexanders" place, food was great, the waitress, divine!

Not that I was looking!

P.S.- I have always used Nayak, who have been very solicitous in the past. One time, the 182 I had reneted was right next to John Travolta's Gulfstream when I came back.

Cool.

SCCutler said:
I ate at that "J. Alexanders" place, food was great, the waitress, divine!

Not that I was looking!

Remember, my wife will be with me! What kind of food does J. Alexanders serve?

SCCutler said:
P.S.- I have always used Nayak, who have been very solicitous in the past. One time, the 182 I had reneted was right next to John Travolta's Gulfstream when I came back.

Is Nayak another FBO on field? I've always used Raytheon there... convenient, Angel Flight fuel discount, etc.

What do you recommend for transportation?

wsuffa said:
Troy...

I live near SAT.

There is lots of stuff nearby. What kind of food are you interested in?

There are a bunch of restaurants at or near the Quarry: Paesanos, Piatti (both good/higher-end italian), Canyon Cafe (southwest), PF Chang, J. Alexanders, Joes Crab Shack, etc. There is a barbeque place off of Sandau Road (used to be Casey's, now something else). Texas Land & Cattle on 410 near the airport. There is a good Tex-Mex on Sunset (I'll have to look up the name)....

All of those are pretty close to the airport. I'm sure I can think of others if you have something particular in mind.

bill

Thanks, Bill. I knew you would chime in. We like Mexican food... any suggestions along that line?

Troy Whistman said:
Thanks, Bill. I knew you would chime in. We like Mexican food... any suggestions along that line?

Sure. Lunch?

A couple of choices?

My favorite: La Fonda on Main. It's a bit further (and it's in my neighborhood)...

Second choice: El Jarro - near 281 and Bitters. Just north of the airport. A San Antonio institution.

Third Choice: Cafe Salsita - near Paesanos south of the airport near the Quarry. Family run, little hole in the wall. The others are better, this is cheaper.

When will you be down here?

BTW, the FBO that's given me the best service has been Hallmark/Millionair. Not that I fly into SAT very often, my plane is at Stinson (KSSF).

wsuffa said:
Sure. Lunch?

A couple of choices?

My favorite: La Fonda on Main. It's a bit further (and it's in my neighborhood)...

Second choice: El Jarro - near 281 and Bitters. Just north of the airport. A San Antonio institution.

Third Choice: Cafe Salsita - near Paesanos south of the airport near the Quarry. Family run, little hole in the wall. The others are better, this is cheaper.

When will you be down here?

BTW, the FBO that's given me the best service has been Hallmark/Millionair. Not that I fly into SAT very often, my plane is at Stinson (KSSF).

Thanks for the suggestions, I want something close, so I'll give El Jarro a try. We'll be arriving about 10:30 AM, go to lunch at 11. I usually use Raytheon, but will "shop it around" a bit this time based on the input y'all have provided.

Troy Whistman said:
Thanks for the suggestions, I want something close, so I'll give El Jarro a try. We'll be arriving about 10:30 AM, go to lunch at 11. I usually use Raytheon, but will "shop it around" a bit this time based on the input y'all have provided.

I've got a seminar in the morning, don't know the schedule yet. If it doesn't last through lunch, I'd be happy to give you guys a ride. If it does last long, you'll be stuck with a crew car or cab. I'll know in a couple of days.

Review on the restaurant:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mg...ntonio@135&cur_section=din&property_id=264660

Troy Whistman said:
Remember, my wife will be with me! What kind of food does J. Alexanders serve?

Think, "Houstons." It may as well be a clone. Good food, good service, but nothing uniquely San Antone about it...

Troy Whistman said:
Is Nayak another FBO on field? I've always used Raytheon there... convenient, Angel Flight fuel discount, etc.

What do you recommend for transportation?

Nayak is the FBO which is right at the southwest corner of the field (well, south corner?). It is right behind the approach end of runway 3, which means that, weather and traffic permitting, they let you take off from 3, and your taxi time is... 15 seconds. As for transport, every time I have gone there, I have called ahead and reserved a rental car (Hertz, I think?), and it has always been right there, waiting. Ver convenient.

Other thing is, the road to Nayak is at the airport exit/entrance, so in and out are essentially instantaneous.

They are, definitely, the least "fancy." But the service has flat knocked me over every time. As always, YMMV. Their fuel is (according to Airnav) the cheapest on the field (if you can call $4.05, "cheap").

Had a great lunch at The Salt Grass this afternoon, somewhere NE of the airport. Story of my tour of the SinoSwearingen plant later.
DT

wsuffa said:
I've got a seminar in the morning, don't know the schedule yet. If it doesn't last through lunch, I'd be happy to give you guys a ride. If it does last long, you'll be stuck with a crew car or cab. I'll know in a couple of days.

Review on the restaurant:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mg...ntonio@135&cur_section=din&property_id=264660

Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. Raytheon gave us a crew car for two hours (had it waiting for us, thanks to an email the night before) and we drove over to El Jarro for lunch. Great place, great food, great service. After lunch, we drove north to the Barnes and Noble at 281 and 1604... my daughter is reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" in high school, and the teacher recommended they all get the Sparks Notes for the book, but every bookstore up here is sold out--but we FOUND ONE in San Antonio. Also bought a new book for each of the girls from the Award-Winning shelf (Newberry, etc.). I am so glad my girls have a love of books and reading...

I've not put comments up as of Wednesday morning (will try to do so later today) but the pictures of the trip are on my blog. The first picture is of my daughter's high school campus.

I feel really good after this trip. Really BROKE, but really good... This flight counted as two missions and gives me 3 Angel Flight missions for the year so far, and I'm on track with my goal to do an Angel Flight mission per month in 2006! What a great hobby we have!

Troy,

Glad you had a good trip. It looked like a good day for it... I was inside learning about the expectations for the economy for 2006, and distressed businesses.

I think you had more fun....

bill

Back