Where to buy domain names?

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
A friend has inquired of me where to buy domain names, just to get some ideas reserved. Not sure when (or if) it'll get to hosting a live site.

What do you guys use, and why?

Thanks.

I still just use Network Solutions; there are probably dozens of reasons not to, so flame away.

www.networksolutions.com

I always look for the cheapest domain name. A domain name is a domain name. Its the hosting that matters.

I still just use GoDaddy; there are probably dozens of reasons not to, so flame away.

www.godaddy.com

I always look for the cheapest domain name. A domain name is a domain name. Its the hosting that matters.
Sure, but if you have multiple domains, it is really nice to have them in one spot with a nice user interface.

I've worked with a few different registrars, and always come back to GoDaddy.

I generally use register.com, no real reason, but I did the first one there, and it's just too darned convenient when I have to manage multiple.

I, too, use GoDaddy; and if I responded -- and purchased -- based upon every SALE which arrives in an e-mail I'd be owning a portion of the operation. Or I'd be protected until May 3009.

GoDaddy. I switched over from IYD.com on Jesse's advice after IYD was sold to Tucows, and then to OpenSRS, and the operation descended into chaos, making simple tasks like changing nameserver IP's into nightmares.

GoDaddy has been excellent. They have great customer service. Not that I need it very often, but it's nice to know it's there. The personal phone call after I moved the first few domains over was a nice touch, too.

-Rich

Last edited:
Everyone I know who uses GoDaddy is very happy with them, so I guess that's a safe bet.

I have had no trouble with NetSol, but have not needed to do much (nor, as someh here know too well, do I much know how to do much).

Thanks guys. Interesting responses.

I always point to Network Solutions to check for availability. Been doing that since they went by the name NETSOL a long time ago.

Someone once told me to avoid GoDaddy because they sold your contact info to other "marketers." That's how they offered such low prices. Don't know if that's true or not.

Have been using GoDaddy for several years with no problems.

I'm not sure who it was, but I heard that somebody will buy the domain name you inquire about if you don't. That way when you go back to register it, it's already taken, and you have to pay more $$.

The moral of the story is don't type the domain name into their website until you are ready to buy.

I'm not sure who it was, but I heard that somebody will buy the domain name you inquire about if you don't. That way when you go back to register it, it's already taken, and you have to pay more $$.

I've been through this. They don't really buy the name since they don't ever pay for it. Just wait a week or two until their claim expires and the name is available again...

I use 1and1.com. It's cheap but it is based in Europe. I used godaddy once and, well, never again. As always, YMWV.

Back