Where is this?

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Anyone know where this is? This was a question for a contest, but I have no ideas...

Hints from the website:
"God-fearing Presbyterians lived here," reported a regional paper. It also wrote of a local east coast town: "For most, it's a toilet stop," but the place is actually a "fascinating town with a charming hinterland." You are in that selfsame hinterland, where the roads are lined with crosses erected in honor of locals killed in World War I. You have driven an hour or so along a loop road that is linked to a larger "fossil trail," and you may want to stop in the exhibition center off Highway 83 for a deeper understanding of the vanished lifeforms and the dynamics that shaped this schist and limestone realm. Continue about 150 miles north and you'll arrive at the island's largest city; the Colorado-sized nation's third largest, it is sistered with an insomniac American metropolis.

A quarter of a century ago, an airline marketed this two-island land with the slogan "It reminds you of Switzerland at one-half the price." If the nation's prosperity has rendered the latter claim obsolete, the former, thankfully, is still true. Whether you choose to clamber up these world-class boulders or not, you'll leave here agreeing with the laconic blogger who chimed, "Man, that's sweet!"

Last edited:
Sure looks/sounds like North Island, NZ. What did I miss that says it isn't?

it is sistered with an insomniac American metropolis.

The city that doesnt sleep...would that be New York?
Sister cities for new york include:

My guess would be Santa Domingo. the clue said that the sister city was 150 miles to the north...so what is 150 miles south of Santo Domingo?

Oops, it's "Colorado-sized", which does indeed fit NZ. Following the clues of 'Presbyterian', hwy '83' and 'fossil trail' it begins to match nicely the town of Kurow in the Waitaki Valley of the Otago region on the South Island. Final answer.

Michael said:
The city that doesnt sleep...would that be New York?
Sister cities for new york include:
My guess would be Santa Domingo. the clue said that the sister city was 150 miles to the north...so what is 150 miles south of Santo Domingo?
Las Vegas doesn't sleep but is it a sister city?

I don't know where it is but no way the Mooney can land on the pictured runway.

Len

Back