Where is the "Southeast practice area" near KAUS (Austin, TX)?

camel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Camel
I know there's a "Southeast practice area" somewhere southeast of KAUS. (Somewhere around the Bastrop and Lockhart area). Is this a well-defined area, and if so, where is it exactly? I want to be in the right place if I tell ATC I'm going VFR to the Southeast practice area.

:yeahthat:

Practice areas are not readily defined areas of operation per the charts. Your CFI will know the definied area and will provide the details. Ask him to go with you the first time to demonstrate the comm procedures too. Likely you just tell AUS tower you're departing VFR to the Southeast.

Make sure to do your clearing turns before you start your maneuvers and periodically during your practice session.

I know there's a "Southeast practice area" somewhere southeast of KAUS. (Somewhere around the Bastrop and Lockhart area). Is this a well-defined area, and if so, where is it exactly? I want to be in the right place if I tell ATC I'm going VFR to the Southeast practice area.

GPS: N30°4.00' W97°25.00'

15 miles SE {115° (121°T)} of the airfield just outside the C. On your sectional, it's about Cedar Creek to Bastrop, south to Rockne. It's that entire bottom left corner of the 30/30 Bastrop Box (Should have 12 MSA shown). Call Jeremy Grodin at Above & Beyond Aviation, and he can take you up and show you.

Just don't go too far south as, just NNE of Lockhart (50R) is the practice area for San Marcos, so stay east of Hwy 183.

Have fun out there, and there's not many visual cues for winds, so look for the cows to give you the direction. :) Lots of good straight roads and water towers for maneuvers.

Last edited:
GPS: N30°4.00' W97°25.00'

15 miles SE {115° (121°T)} of the airfield just outside the C. On your sectional, it's about Cedar Creek to Bastrop, south to Rockne. It's that entire bottom left corner of the 30/30 Bastrop Box (Should have 12 MSA shown). Call Jeremy Grodin at Above & Beyond Aviation, and he can take you up and show you.

Just don't go too far south as, just NNE of Lockhart (50R) is the practice area for San Marcos, so stay east of Hwy 183.

Have fun out there, and there's not many visual cues for winds, so look for the cows to give you the direction. :) Lots of good straight roads and water towers for maneuvers.

Or just go where you want because you are the honey badger of the sky

Funny, I fly out of Bergstrom regularly and had not heard of that airspace specifically referred to as a practice area. However that is typically where we go for airwork on checkouts or flight reviews.

Back