Where is the mixture?

teethdoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
teethdoc
I was looking at panel options on a cherokee 140 and came across this picture. Where is the mixture and carb heat?
140Panel.jpg
ubbthreads.php

Last edited:
Looks like he tried to post it but it didn't take. Hopefully he will fix it. (I'd like to see it.)

Just a big red X and a blank box on the iphone...

That is strange. I'm looking at it on my iphone not even logged in and it pops up fine (posted from my pc).

Or just cut and paste the URL if nothing else.

(Do you have to have a login permission to view the image?)

Hmm I think carb heat is just to the right of the mag switch. Not sure about the mixture.

It's finally showing on mine, now, in post both the first post and post #9. I think it's the silver knob below the Hobbs meter and right hand yoke. If not that, it's the one to the right of the ignition switch. One's mixture, one's carb heat.

Mixture is way to the right of the throttle, maybe 10 inches.

Carb heat is to the left of the throttle, right next to the keys.

Both are in modified positions.

It's finally showing on mine, now, in post both the first post and post #9. I think it's the silver knob below the Hobbs meter and right hand yoke. If not that, it's the one to the right of the ignition switch. One's mixture, one's carb heat.

Yes, that exactly. Normally the knob there is red. Mixture is the one just to the left of the right hand yoke.

I don't know about the modified part. Both Cherokees that I learned to fly on have them in exactly the same positions (1965 and 1968 models). Both of them also have overhead cranks, so I imagine it was in fashion to place mixture where passenger may knee it rich back then.

P.S. Don't forget the pushbutton starter.

Last edited:
It's the knob that says "Mixture Pull Lean" to the right of the throttle.

All the pictures showed for me. (iPad)

Yes the mixture is way over under the right side yoke.

Mixture is way to the right of the throttle, maybe 10 inches.

That's original config, some (like my old 63 model) were modified to bring them closer to the throttle, then Piper went to the quadrant configuration.

Just like the 6 pack, they just put stuff wherever it fit...

Weird, I've flown half a dozen Cherokees from '63 or '64 up to early 70s -- I've seen knobs and quadrants, but never a setup like that. I did see one with an oddball instrument layout once, though.

I don't know about the modified part. Both Cherokees that I learned to fly on have them in exactly the same positions (1965 and 1968 models). Both of them also have overhead cranks, so I imagine it was in fashion to place mixture where passenger may knee it rich back then.

Our 1966 180C was setup the same way. It's not a modification, it comes that way straight from Piper.

P.S. Don't forget the pushbutton starter.

A start position on the key switch and not being a separate button lacks class.

I never could get use to the silly airliner style throttle quadrants on a few 70's planes I flew. They're just wrong. Big klutzy silly looking thing that can't be held by the handle part in turbulence without jerking the power all over the place unless you hold it by the bottom of the lever against the quadrant plastic piece.

Yep, that is where they are in my plane. The panel was changed to a standard 6 pack and quadrant in '69, I believe. I have a '67.

Yep, that is where they are in my plane. The panel was changed to a standard 6 pack and quadrant in '69, I believe. I have a '67.

I just keyed in on that. I used to fly a 64, with the goofy six pack placement.

I just keyed in on that. I used to fly a 64, with the goofy six pack placement.
cut it out and put the instruments where you want them. Here's how we re-arranged the left side of my '63:

Attachments

• N7477W_2.JPG
    N7477W_2.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 36
cut it out and put the instruments where you want them. Here's how we re-arranged the left side of my '63:

Looks nice. I never did care for Bow Tie yokes either although they worked fine I guess.

My FBO would have had issues though if I rearranged their panel. (I was sorely tempted to do it.)

I have considered it and even got a quote or two. I am having a hard time putting a bunch of money into the panel, though, considering the value of the plane. I thought I was going to trade up, but it looks like I might keep it for a while, so I still might talk myself into it.

I have considered it and even got a quote or two. I am having a hard time putting a bunch of money into the panel, though, considering the value of the plane. I thought I was going to trade up, but it looks like I might keep it for a while, so I still might talk myself into it.
It cost me a weekend and about $40 of Aluminum and hardware. It might cost a a little more of you have to rent the punch for the instrument holes.

It cost me a weekend and about $40 of Aluminum and hardware. It might cost a a little more of you have to rent the punch for the instrument holes.

The panel is considered structural on the Cherokee and it requires a 337, I believe. I have been told by a couple of sources, that i can't even make the clock hole bigger, to take a standard instrument. Also, if I was going to go to that effort, I would want to make it IFR. I have some junk in my panel. I have actually done a fair amount of research on it.

The panel is considered structural on the Cherokee and it requires a 337, I believe.
It's a grey area, but yes that's what we did. But you said the problem was cost, a 337 is just a piece of paper, it doesn't cost anything

It's a grey area, but yes that's what we did. But you said the problem was cost, a 337 is just a piece of paper, it doesn't cost anything

Ok, I did not realize it was a grey area (the two shops I talked to said I needed a 337). Since I do not regularly fabricate aluminum, I got a couple of quotes. It would seem, the panel (and there are some companies that already make them for the Cherokee) will run about $3K, plus labor and it was likely that I would need to reposition instruments and some of the cables/tubes would not be long enough. I also have some c**p in my panel that would not be worth moving or messing with and should be replaced (such as a stand alone VOR that isn't supported, my only working VOR). At that point, I was thinking I should go IFR, since I want to pursue my instrument ticket (the main motivator to update the panel). But the labor to even put old junk in there was expensive, so I probably should consider a panel GPS. At the end of the day, I was looking at about $16K to rework the panel. I am not an IA and while I am not adverse to turning a screw, I could probably not do what you did, though I am envious.

Ok, I did not realize it was a grey area (the two shops I talked to said I needed a 337). Since I do not regularly fabricate aluminum, I got a couple of quotes. It would seem, the panel (and there are some companies that already make them for the Cherokee) will run about $3K, plus labor and it was likely that I would need to reposition instruments and some of the cables/tubes would not be long enough. I also have some c**p in my panel that would not be worth moving or messing with and should be replaced (such as a stand alone VOR that isn't supported, my only working VOR). At that point, I was thinking I should go IFR, since I want to pursue my instrument ticket (the main motivator to update the panel). But the labor to even put old junk in there was expensive, so I probably should consider a panel GPS. At the end of the day, I was looking at about $16K to rework the panel. I am not an IA and while I am not adverse to turning a screw, I could probably not do what you did, though I am envious.
I wouldn't bother, the only reason to move the panel around is to make your instrument scan easier. For VFR flying there's no benefit.

Mixture is under the Hobbs and the carb heat is to the left of the throttle.

Back