Where is a good place to overnight near Oshkosh?

vince

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Vince
Don't think I'll be able to get into Oskkosh before 8 pm on Sunday. Where is a good place to set down for the night then continue the next morning?

I put up my tent on the grass at Portage WI one year. No one minded. Bathroom in the small FBO. Not sure if it's still ok, but you could ask.

Green Bay ,plenty of hotels,services ,short flight into OSH

Dodge County, KUNU, is another option for you to consider.

If you need Mogas, Capitol Drive (O2C) is another option.

(Both options assume you'll be in a tent, although I bet KUNU could run you to a hotel in Beaver Dam if desired. Not sure about hotel options for 02C)

My plan was to stop @ KGYY, just outside chicago. We used gary jet center which should have fuel for around $5. You can take a train into chicago which has good public transportation, no rental car needed.

Wautoma (Y50) is 30 miles west of KOSH. Nice little airport, camping allowed on field, showers in the FBO. The local EAA chapter has in the past, served burgers and brats in their hangar there for the campers during Airventure week.

We used to stay in hotels at Wautoma each year and either fly or drive back and forth to KOSH each day.

Don't think I'll be able to get into Oskkosh before 8 pm on Sunday. Where is a good place to set down for the night then continue the next morning?

Coming from which direction?

Under an umbrella. It is going to be wet.:nonod:

If you want to camp, Adams County 63C would be my first choice - VERY friendly people (one guy who lives across the street offered that I could take his car, right out of the garage, if I wanted), showers in the little terminal building, and even a fire pit.

If you want a hotel, KMSN Dane County Regional. Yes it's class C but there are no ramp fees and fuel prices are reasonable, and at least two hotel shuttles are available.

Where are you coming from? I might have other suggestions based on your flight path...

Yes, Adams County is an easy choice. It also depends on your direction of approach.

Coming from SW (Missouri).

I'm looking for a hotel I think don't want to waste too much time unpacking then repacking the camping equipment.

Madison would be a good choice. I could even tell you which places have the best beer...

I'll throw Burlington out too, KBUU. No hotel right at the airport, but good fuel price. I'll be around Sunday eve then Monday morning to blast off early.
'Fred's Burgers' has all you need for the evening.

SW MO? I've stopped at Neosho a few times.

What's a good pickup bar in the Madison area?

Last edited:
The owner is WELL left of center, should that be an issue to anyone.

http://host.madison.com/business/ne...cle_150e8310-397c-11e2-a261-0019bb2963f4.html

Really? We're to the point of choosing beer based on the fact that the owner talked to a Democratic president about things that can help small businesses? :dunno:

From the article, it sounds like she's simply represented the views of a successful small business to the administration, even talking about health care costs as a concern. While it does say she "stumped on behalf of the president's economic policies a year ago" it immediately follows that with that being about tax credits that helped the brewery expand.

This is hardly the sort of whackjob whose business I'd avoid over politics...

Coming from SW (Missouri).

I'm looking for a hotel I think don't want to waste too much time unpacking then repacking the camping equipment.

Yep, Madison is right along the way then and they'll take good care of ya.

The owner is WELL left of center, should that be an issue to anyone.

http://host.madison.com/business/ne...cle_150e8310-397c-11e2-a261-0019bb2963f4.html

She uses her position to openly push her side when it comes to politics. Yes, I'll deal with either side, most owners keep politics out of business. I figure it works both ways. She's still on a roll against the current Gov of WI. She has every right.

Exactly. No more Spotted Cow in my fridge.

As for Leinies, I agree about the fru fru beers. Yuk. You can hardly find regular Leinie on tap in Wisconsin any more. Leinies Red is a great beer, but you can keep the rest.

Summer Shandy? I try to keep my lemonade separate from my beer, thank you.

Really? We're to the point of choosing beer based on the fact that the owner talked to a Democratic president about things that can help small businesses? :dunno:

From the article, it sounds like she's simply represented the views of a successful small business to the administration, even talking about health care costs as a concern. While it does say she "stumped on behalf of the president's economic policies a year ago" it immediately follows that with that being about tax credits that helped the brewery expand.

This is hardly the sort of whackjob whose business I'd avoid over politics...

Deb and hubby Dan donated over $30,000 to democratic candidates, the Democrat Senatorial Campaign Committee, Democratic Party of Wisconsin, Progressives United PAC, DNC Services Corp, Moveon.org, Dollars for Democrats, etc. over the last two election cycles, according to Open Secrets. Nothing wrong with that, just as there is nothing wrong with me choosing not to contribute to their disposable income, from which they make these contributions.

That's a tougher value proposition when considering actors, but fortunately there are a lot of Breweries here.

Back