where do you buy charts?

My aeroclub.

I just get mine at the FBO. lol
I used to do the same. Now...a lot of FBOs don't carry charts....or they have a limited supply.

I think NACO has a minimum order quantity now that many FBOs can't meet, so they don't carry them now.

I purchased an EFB with lifetime subscription (through June 2083 anyways) for all VFR charts, IFR charts, TAC charts and Instrument Approach plates.

I use eSectionals and print them out as needed.

It is essentially a flight planner built around sectionals and TACs. I like it cause it let's me print just the route I plan to take.

Have used wactac but started buying at my home base. It's a dollar or so more but I think it's worth it to give them my business.

Have used wactac but started buying at my home base. It's a dollar or so more but I think it's worth it to give them my business.
I agree with you...but the Local FBO runs out of charts a few days into the cycle. I'd give them the business if they actually acted like they wanted it. I'm not going to go there simply to buy charts the day the new ones come out.

I use eSectionals and print them out as needed.

It is essentially a flight planner built around sectionals and TACs. I like it cause it let's me print just the route I plan to take.

At my old job I set up our aircraft with Fujitsu tablet PC's to be used as EFBs. Besides the JeppView/Flight Deck programs, I loaded up all of the charts available on esectionals. Thy worked really nice. We flew IFR everywhere. Though we used the sectional charts a lot in the mountainous areas that we would operate.

At my old job I set up our aircraft with Fujitsu tablet PC's to be used as EFBs. Besides the JeppView/Flight Deck programs, I loaded up all of the charts available on esectionals. Thy worked really nice. We flew IFR everywhere. Though we used the sectional charts a lot in the mountainous areas that we would operate.

I am waiting on the iPad to do that. For now, I am keeping HP stock up with all the printing :arf:

How can WACTAC sell theirs for almost half what the FAA is? You would think they would all be more expensive than the people who make them.

Also, that eSectionals looks pretty awesome. What would some of the downsides be to printing those off? For that lifetime subscription, it says you can buy other charts for $5. Are those then lifetime subscriptions as well or just through the next cycle?

wactac sells online at basically cost plus shipping so that they can keep enough volume to keep their local fbo stocked with charts.

wactac sells online at basically cost plus shipping so that they can keep enough volume to keep their local fbo stocked with charts.

Exactly. :) No catch. You pay what we pay for charts. Books are at retail, but they cost so much more to ship, it's a wash ;) I actively invite people to buy AFD/TPPs from Naco directly, but there's the convenience of having it all show up at the same time, so we still keep a good supply on-hand.

Thanks for the nods, guys -- feel free to Email or PM me if there's something we could do better.

Blue Skies,

- Mike

Local FBO. We're very spoiled here in that they carry every sectional, A/FD, TAC, WAC, approach plate book, low and high enroute for the entire ConUS. And they get enough that they don't run out unless something weird happens.

And even with that, they now have had to band together with their other two locations to meet the new minimums to be a chart dealer. Sheesh. :frown2:

Kent, I think you're the new Scott. Why are you awake at 4:17 AM? :)

Anyway, all my approach plates are electronic. I buy the AirChart VFR/IFR atlases. Works great, much easier to deal with.

I currently use WACTAC.

Just saw an announcement that FltPlan.com is now selling individual and subscription charts, for 20% below list.

http://store.fltplan.com

As with most of their offerings, they also have a mobile version of the site, so you can order a new chart from the ramp as soon as you realize it's about to expire.

http://store.fltplan.com/?mobile=1

This may be an attractive option for those that are FltPlan.com fans.

Back