When your plane makes noises... pay attention!

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
So, I'm generally one to "listen" to whatever I'm hearing in the plane, and more often than not, there are warning signs, and it's genuinely a bad idea to ignore them.

Yesterday I had to relearn this lesson, this time with regard to brakes.

While I certainly haven't actively dismissed the possibility of someone's brakes locking up in a taildragger and them attributing their flipping it over on it's back on "a brake locked up," - I'll freely admit that most of the time I hear such stories I've thought "sure, yeah, you just don't want to admit that you dug your heels in a bit too much, too soon." and with a big chunk of suspicion. After yesterday, Saturday the 27th of May, 2023, I'll be a bit more charitable in my thoughts, at least until I know the full story.

So what happened? I flew about 2 hours with a student after lunch with a fuel stop after the first session doing a Luscombe checkout for a low-time owner for insurance and proficiency purposes and things were going OK from my perspective. After a stop for water and fuel we were taxiing after a landing on the a second flight when I heard a "pop" that was initially attributed to maybe just a bump on the taxiway. I did actually get out of the plane and physically looked at the right gear, and we function checked everything, however there was nothing visibly wrong and functions seemed normal, so we kept going. On the last takeoff (not the last planned takeoff) we heard a squeal that I don't usually hear and I made the decision that if there was something wrong, I'd rather land at home base where we have grass instead of the big concrete runway we had just been working on. We flew back to home base and I three pointed it in the grass as gently as I could. I thought I felt some dragging, but I just knew I had to get her stopped, and we did just that. I got her turned around and then about 20 feet after we'd exited the runway, the right brake completely locked up and after a couple of function tests I knew we just had to shut her down and get out.

Here are the two videos I took afterwards:

The first is before we figured out what was wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsxEZHShxrF/

The second was after we jacked up the plane and got the tire off to see if we could free it from whatever was obstructing it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsxFShdAKNI/

Needless to say, I'm VERY, VERY glad that it didn't lock up on landing like it did on taxi, and I'm grateful that in my opinion, I was Providentially given just enough room to not seriously damage anything. As for other lessons, in my opinion, this is 100% a situation where I'd vastly prefer to three point a plane in as softly as possible, and a good reason to stay proficient at three points even if you prefer wheel landings.

Now to find the parts for my A&P and get her back in the air...

Yep, that's a thing. Nice job!

Do your student a favor and recommend that the rest of the brake system be checked over; it may save money and time and heartburn in the long run...

Yep, that's a thing. Nice job!

Do your student a favor and recommend that the rest of the brake system be checked over; it may save money and time and heartburn in the long run...
It's doing myself a favor. It's my trainer and I'm definitely going to look at the other side, too. To my non-professional untrained eye, I suspect it was just cumulative metal fatigue and the thing just snapped... so if the other side is just as old, it deserves a look. Thankfully, the cable brake system is pretty simple.

I can’t view insta w/o a login. What broke?
IG has a fairly hostile UX, but I was able to view it without a login.
camefromtogether1.jpg
camefromtogether2.jpg

I was a frustrated teenager many moons ago because I couldn't get my car to go. My father, always quick with words of wisdom said, "you think you got a problem when it won't go? Nah! Wait till it won't stop!" :D

Good catch!

Corrosion. All it takes is a bit of pitting. Lots of fun finding parts for that. Obsolete a very long time ago.

Glad you didn't wreck your plane or get hurt. A very similar incident happened when I flew with my friend in his Cessna 310 a couple years ago. I felt a little bump as we departed a local fly in restaurant..after landing, we connected the tug to the nose gear and started to put the plane in his hangar...all of a sudden the plane stopped and we heard a thump. Several of the wheel bolts had sheared their lock nuts off the right main wheel and had worked out far enough to jam in the brake caliper assembly. Good luck !

hard to tell from the pics, but from the first pic in post 7 it looks like the break in the shoe at the top is somewhat dirty, indicating a slowly developing crack that finally gave way. given rarity and age of the parts available, i think that i would do a dye check for cracks at ever reline.

Piling on, It looks to me that no one has inspected those brakes in a long time. And this is what happens when they are ignored.

Brakes are not explicitly stated as owner maintenance, but tires and bearings are, and you generally have to disassemble the brakes to do that. They live a hard life, so well worth your time to pull everything off once a year to clean and inspect.

Dunno about drum brakes, but disk brake bads can crack from faulty install procedures not using the special rivet tool. Here is an interesting older article about issues with brake materials since asbestos was banned.

Last edited:
Brakes are not explicitly stated as owner maintenance, but tires and bearings are, and you generally have to disassemble the brakes to do that. They live a hard life, so well worth your time to pull everything off once a year to clean and inspect.

Too many folks are used to ignoring corrosion. They see it all the time on their older motor vehicles, but it doesn't break. But aircraft are built with light materials so they can fly, and there is little margin for corrosion tolerance. Moreover, aluminum corrodes in many ways, while steel usually just rusts.

Dunno about drum brakes, but disk brake bads can crack from faulty install procedures not using the special rivet tool. Here is an interesting older article about issues with brake materials since asbestos was banned.

An aluminum brake shoe could also crack if the riveting was done too forcefully. Some of those "aircraft" riveting tools use a hammer to set the rivets and few people understand the immense force imparted by a hammer. It's huge. There are better types that use a screw-type setter.

A beat-it-with-a-hammer type:

upload_2023-6-23_10-9-32.jpeg

A screw-type:

upload_2023-6-23_10-10-25.jpeg

This is an old automotive-type setter, and gives far more controllable results than either of the above:

upload_2023-6-23_10-18-15.jpeg

I got an old one and used it on the flight school's airplanes. Never broke a lining.

Back