When to report something to the FAA...and when NOT

poadeleted20

Deleted
Someone I know has backed himself into a medical corner with the FAA. He developed a medical issue which is disqualifying. He promptly reported that to the FAA, and quickly received back a letter directing him to return his medical certificate ("surrender for cancellation") within 14 days or face an enforcement action.

Ouch.

Had he contacted me first, I would have told him, "Don’t report anything yet!" All he was legally required to do was self-ground while he researched the issue (http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com is probably your best first stop for that). By reporting it immediately and getting that letter back, he has lost the drivers license/Sport Pilot option if he later chooses not to pursue the full FAA medical certification process.

If you have a medical problem, just don’t fly, and get your ducks all in a row before notifying the FAA. The only time you have to report a medical issue to them is when you apply for a medical certificate, or if you know you have a normally-grounding condition but want to fly anyway.

PS: I'm strictly talking medical issues here -- the 61.15 requirements for reporting a "motor vehicle action" are not a medical issue, and there is a definite time limit on that reporting.

Last edited:
Thanks,I always have sport pilot in the back of my head. Also why I see my primary care doc before the FAA medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back