When to actually sign medical form 8500?

Artimas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artimas
Is it possible to defer signing the online medical application form (8500) until being seen by the AME (to be sure you'll pass before signing)?

How would one actually do this?

Thanks.

Fill out the form on line,then don't give up the number until you know if you passed,then sign the form.

Is it possible to defer signing the online medical application form (8500) until being seen by the AME (to be sure you'll pass before signing)?

How would one actually do this?

Thanks.

Fill out the form on line,then don't give up the number until you know if you passed,then sign the form.

Yeah - with the digital form, signing it is a little different. When you are complete, you 'submit' the form and then get a code number back.

When you go see the AME, you give him the code. Once he enters that code number, your form is activated and the only options are "pass", "fail", "defer".

If you go to the AME and don't give him the number, and explain to him what you want to do, he can give you the exam as a consult. Without that number, that exam is not part of the FAA medical system. It's just between and MD and patient. I haven't done that, but if I do I would make sure my AME does understand and agree in advance.

I would guess you'd have to pay for two exams - the one you took for your own benefit, and the one you took for the FAA. But that's between you and the AME.

If you go to the AME and don't give him the number, and explain to him what you want to do, he can give you the exam as a consult. Without that number, that exam is not part of the FAA medical system. It's just between and MD and patient.

If you have any concerns or questions in your mind that keeps you from being 100% certain you will pass, do the above.

Handing over the confirmation code before the AME starts the exam is not a requirement. If the AME won't see you without that code, find a different AME.

If you have a really challenging health situation that requires a top AME's counsel and help, see out Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Handing over the confirmation code before the AME starts the exam is not a requirement. If the AME won't see you without that code, find a different AME.
It most certainly IS a requirement. The AME guide is clear.

Examiners must not begin the exam until they have imported the MedX
application into AMCS and have verified the identity of the applicant.​

That's the FAA's bolding.

What you mean to say is that you may consult with the examiner about your condition and what may be on the application prior to handing over the confirmation number and starting the examination if the AME is willing.

If you just want a consult, fill out a paper form and hand it to the examining physician without signing it. When you're done and ready to "go live", go back and do the MedXpress.

Actually you can go to an AME without a form at all to ask a question.

If you just want a consult, fill out a paper form and hand it to the examining physician without signing it. When you're done and ready to "go live", go back and do the MedXpress.

You can print your medexpress application as well, even without submitting it.

Last edited:
I always do, so I have a record of what was submitted.

That was one feature I really loved about my AME's office back in the paper days. You'd walk in and the secretary would hand you the blank form along with a copy of your one from the previous medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back