When the day comes...

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
This blurb from AOPA ( Watch the video too)
http://cbs4denver.com/news/plane.meyer.norm.2.1873512.html

Got me thinking, for most of us aviation isn't a take it or leave it thing. It really is a passion. I've wondered how I'd react when the day comes that I can't fly anymore. Yeah Yeah I know there is the LSA but how would you handle it? I'd think it would be a pretty depressing time. Mr. Meyer's in the article seems to take it pretty well.

I've thought I'd look into an ultra light or perhaps powered para gliding. But don't know how well an older fella would do with a PPG seems like the takeoffs and landings can be a bit tough. Plus I love the XC aspect of flying. I'd think I'd proably pour myself into sailing my other passion. I don't know that I could be one of those guys who goes to the airport with a transceiver and just watches longingly at the planes taking off and landing wishing I was behind the controls.

How would you handle it and deal with it?

Don't really want to think about it, but guess I'd go back to playing with guns. Before I started flying, I did a lot of target shooting. Our rifle range lays adjacent to the airport, and I'd see guys out flying while I was shooting and knew flying was what I'd rather be doing.

by not being able to fly anymore i assume you mean not being able to get a medical? big difference.

if i couldn't get my 3rd class medical but was still fit enough to fly gliders i'd probably just go soaring an extra 5 or so days a season instead of flying the towplane.

We all have to adapt to reality. I had a 5 year hiatus from flying due to family, work, and financial pressures.

I used to ride road bike competitively and wondered how I would live without riding 30+ miles each and every day.

When we had horses I thought life just wouldn't be the same without a morning ride and the smell of fresh horse sweat.

It's not, but the memories are still there.

There are so many things in life to enjoy and treasure -- flying is certainly one, but time away from flying would quickly fill with other pursuits.

I have no plans to give up flying now, and I fly far less than I want to, but should the day come, I know it's not The End of The World.

Last edited:
I think if you have someone to pass the passion on to it will help a lot. I think my Dad sees the end of his flying looming on the horizon, but since I've got the bug he feels he'll never be out of it. I'll support the plane and fly with him when he needs it.

I was out at the airpark last week and a gentleman there was saying he finally got his medical reinstated, but it took 9 months and was only good for a year from date of application. Which meant he had a medical for 3 months. He said he couldn't bear to move from an A36 to an LSA for more money. So I guess he's just not gonna fly anymore.

That last flight comes in two forms.

1. You know beforehand.

2. You don't know beforehand.

You could always volunteer as a spotter on an aviation mission. CG Auxiliary or CAP flights, Angel Flights, or Pets an' Paws. Pay a CFI to right seat for you. Bum a ride with someone at the airport.
There's things to do when you can't fly yourself.

I'm in my 70's... Been banging around airports since I was 2 weeks old... This is an issue that is on my mind...

I am fortunate to have enough acreage at the farm to have my own strip and simply be a scofflaw and fly anyway... Will I do that when the time comes I can't pass the medical? I don't know... And that is the most honest answer I can give... I don't know...

Currently, I have no problem passing the medical... I am not on any drugs other than some tylenol twice a day... My vision corrects to 20/20 with glasses.. So, failure to pass the medical will mean that something drastic has happened - cancer, stroke, mi, are the most likely... The situation will determine the outcome...

denny-o

There's a pretty good chance you'll find that sailing isn't as much fun at that time either, especially if you are accustomed to single-handing.

This blurb from AOPA ( Watch the video too)
http://cbs4denver.com/news/plane.meyer.norm.2.1873512.html

Got me thinking, for most of us aviation isn't a take it or leave it thing. It really is a passion. I've wondered how I'd react when the day comes that I can't fly anymore. Yeah Yeah I know there is the LSA but how would you handle it? I'd think it would be a pretty depressing time. Mr. Meyer's in the article seems to take it pretty well.

I've thought I'd look into an ultra light or perhaps powered para gliding. But don't know how well an older fella would do with a PPG seems like the takeoffs and landings can be a bit tough. Plus I love the XC aspect of flying. I'd think I'd proably pour myself into sailing my other passion. I don't know that I could be one of those guys who goes to the airport with a transceiver and just watches longingly at the planes taking off and landing wishing I was behind the controls.

How would you handle it and deal with it?

I guess most pilots eventually have (or should have) some moment when they feel they ought to ground themselves, regs or no regs... when they're just not up to it, due to illness or general decrepitude.
Don't know what I'll do when I can't even climb into any aircraft for a ride and some stick time, but I'd rather be presented with that challenge than "fly west" or something like that.
If I get to do even half the flying I'd like to before that day comes, that combined with the enjoyment I've had so far should tide me over for those last few years.

The day I have to stop flying I suspect there will be enough things wrong with me that the loss of flying will be a minor concern.

I've always wondered about the variety of responses of pilots who have flown for a living and either retire, quit or lose their jobs while still holding a medical. I have a good friend who has never been in an airplane of any kind since the day he quit/retired at least 5 years ago and probably never will unless someone offers him a free ride. Others like the person in the original story keep an airplane until they are 93. I really have no idea what I would decide. I guess I'll find out when it happens.

Mari,

I suspect the majority of those that fly for a living and do no flying outside the job would just hang it up and never look back. Others, like me, who fly for a living and also fly outside the job would probably miss the flying, or figure out how to keep flying.

Dunno.

I know I would miss it if I thought I couldn't do it anymore.

Another reason to get Sharon on the stick and get a medical.:D

Back