When Students Make You Proud!

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
A while back Bruce started a thread about how one of his students had made him proud. I too have had a couple of moments of pride in my students. I thought it might be interesting to hear about other CFI's experiences in this regard, so here is a couple of mine.

Just yesterday one of my students was going on a solo flight in preperation for his up coming check ride. Unfortunately the airplane didn't want to cooperate. The starter was making a racket and refused to turn the engine over. The mechanic came to look at it and with my chief instructor and myself looking on he had the student attempt to start it. No Joy! The mechanic started walking toward the airplane to turn the prop and without a word from anyone out comes this hand out of the window with the key in it. I had one of those moments "wow, he really was paying attention." When he saw it the chief instructor said: "holy cow, that's awesome"
Sometimes it is the simplest things that show they are on the way to airman status.

A few months back I had a post solo student and we were heading down to an airport he had never been. It was one with right traffic to the runway we were using, to this point he had never flown right traffic. I always do this to students just to see how they will handle it and as expected it was causing him a little grief. When he turned final he was pretty high and me being one of those sadistic flight instructors snickered softly to my self about the impending go around. Then without a word he smoothly put in the most beautifully executed slip, lost the extra altitude, straightened it out and proceded to squeak one on.

Sometimes this is the coolest job on the planet.

So let's hear yours!!!

Last edited:
the first trip around the pattern while my microphone is way up in the air, or my headset is off, is always a small source of pride. ive had a lot of solo's in the last few months and those are always great. im facing a bunch of checkrides this spring and everyone is making good progress so that is just great.

Sometimes this is the coolest job on the planet.

your darn right!

the first trip around the pattern while my microphone is way up in the air, or my headset is off, is always a small source of pride. ive had a lot of solo's in the last few months and those are always great. im facing a bunch of checkrides this spring and everyone is making good progress so that is just great.

your darn right!

I agree Tony, solo's are awesome. Here they are in the pattern, talking on the radio, working out traffic conflicts, flying the plane and doing what they were taught.

exactly. I did share the pattern with one of my students today. it was finally warm enough for me to fly the Super Cub without freezing so I drug it out in the afternoon. was cool chasing him around the pattern. I was going to give him a hard time about his off centerline landing while I was on final behind him but figured id save it for later :)

From a students perspective its kind of funny what excites a CFI. I recall on my first solo at the Class D where I was training I got a LAHSO clearance to land 33. I responded negative on the LAHSO Gruman 351 is student pilot.

Well you would have thought I named my first born after the CFI. I thought it was no big deal but he was more excited about my reply than my making it around the pattern alone.

From a students perspective its kind of funny what excites a CFI. I recall on my first solo at the Class D where I was training I got a LAHSO clearance to land 33. I responded negative on the LAHSO Gruman 351 is student pilot.

Well you would have thought I named my first born after the CFI. I thought it was no big deal but he was more excited about my reply than my making it around the pattern alone.

Well, that is excellent, like I said, it's the little things. Sometimes you feel like you are talking to a wall, so when you get proof they have been listening, it's great. I mean, we know you can make it around the pattern by yourself, otherwise you would not be out there. However, showing us your decision making skills in action---perfect!!

I'm not an instructor, I'm not even a private pilot...YET. But I thought this story would make you neat instructors happy.

A few weeks ago I was returning from my first solo local (practice area) flight. I called up tower, told them where I was and what I wanted to do, they told me to enter and report a midfield downwind for runway 12R. When I go to that point I said I was there and just as my instructors and teachers told me it would happen (ominously on my first solo local flight) the tower controller said something to the effect of "tell you what, gimme a left 360 for spacing for a landing aircraft on a 2 mile left base." I came back the way I was taught to by saying "Tower *My call Sign* is a student pilot and unable to do 360." And also, just as my instructors told me he would, he dealt with the situation and had me extend my downwind, which although it was out of gliding distance for my aircraft in case the engine was to fail, was fun to see more of the city I was next to.

I felt rather proud of myself for having dealt with that situation calmly and in the correct fashion. Hopefully you all feel proud of me vicariously through my instructors.
If you want more details, just ask, I love talking about flying.

the tower controller said something to the effect of "tell you what, gimme a left 360 for spacing for a landing aircraft on a 2 mile left base." I came back the way I was taught to by saying "Tower *My call Sign* is a student pilot and unable to do 360."

Student pilots can't do 360's in the pattern? Oops. :redface:

I had two "unables" as a student: One was a land and hold short clearance. It was almost silly that I had to refuse, I was landing 32 (5800'), airliner was landing 36 (9000') and the two runways cross at the very ends - The 18 and 14 thresholds are almost in the same place, and in fact 14 is due to get a displaced threshold simply because the markings for 14 are nonstandard (well they're standard but in the wrong place so the threshold markers aren't on top of each other) and the FAA is getting rid of the waiver they had for that. I'm pretty sure I can land a Cessna 172 in less than 5500 feet, but the rules are the rules - They cleared me to land 32, and the airliner to land 36 and hold short of 32. :D

The other one was simply asking for a different runway, as the one I'd originally been cleared for would have violated the crosswind component that I was allowed for solo.

I'm not actually sure if the laws do not allow for a student pilot to make a 360 in the pattern, but I remember my instructors telling me how to deal with this certain situation, so if it is not a law, then it is for sure a school policy of ours. Although, I have a good feeling that it is an FAR.

I'm not actually sure if the laws do not allow for a student pilot to make a 360 in the pattern, but I remember my instructors telling me how to deal with this certain situation, so if it is not a law, then it is for sure a school policy of ours. Although, I have a good feeling that it is an FAR.

I don't remember it as a FAR, but if you were uncomfortable doing it or were instructed not to, perhaps because of the school rule, good job! You're the PIC!:yes:
(And welcome to the board, though you've got another welcome thread going! http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=282713)

You did the important thing. That was taking whatever action you felt necessary for the safety of flight. Whether it was a reg or not, you acted by your own minimum skill level or requirements placed upon you by your instructor.

Discuss it with your instructor and then ask for a demonstration if necessary to help you comply the next time it's asked of you. But, you acted correctly and don't let that bother you. Never accept an instruction beyond your skill level. Safety of flight for yourself and others come first.

Exactly... the priorities are Skin, Tin, Ticket, in that order.

I've added to that reciently...

Skin, Tin, Ticket, Club rules.

We have a club rule that there is no VFR flight after sunset except within the class D airspace around IPT. One of our new pilots went out for a local flight and didn't get a full breifing, the weather looked good, the AWOS wasn't reporting anything & he was just going over to the pratice area to go flying with his son. By the time (only about an 1/2 hr to 1 hr later) he returned the winds had picked up and were gusting out of the S to SE (BAD wind for IPT) He tried landing 2 times and when asked when he didn't go to Seilinsgrove (18-36) land and tie down the plane for the night, his excuse was that it was too late and he wouldn't have gotten there before sunset. He was night current but he didn't want to break the club rules. He wrestled it down and made it in on his second landing the third time around (long runway and a gust had picked him up as he touched the first time) without bending metal. I for one repremanded him for not using good judgment and going to Selinsgrove. The club will forgive you as long as you don't bend the metal. But he risked Bent metal and skin for a club rule, not even an FAA reg since he was night current!

Missa

You did the important thing. That was taking whatever action you felt necessary for the safety of flight. Whether it was a reg or not, you acted by your own minimum skill level or requirements placed upon you by your instructor.

Discuss it with your instructor and then ask for a demonstration if necessary to help you comply the next time it's asked of you. But, you acted correctly and don't let that bother you. Never accept an instruction beyond your skill level. Safety of flight for yourself and others come first.

Thats exactly what I felt. I probably could have done a 360, but it would not have been really safe and I would not have felt comfortable. Aside from having been told not to do any sort of spacing maneuvers in the pattern by the instructors, it would not have felt safe and just like you said, safety is most important. I agree: Skin, Tin, Ticket, makes complete sense.

The first time I did a 360 for spacing was on my first solo flight. It took me a little bit to mentally process what TWR was saying and what I had to do. That was the first lap.

The second lap TWR asked me to give him a 720 at midfield. I felt like an old hand by then. The CFIs listening in thought it a hoot.

Back