When maybe, could be, possible, or perhaps becomes a diagnosis?

P

perhaps

I have the highest respect for doctors and I understand the difficulties they face with challenging cases and insurance obstacles. I happen to be one of those challenging cases. For 20+ years, I can't count how many times I heard "maybe, perhaps, possibly, and could be" stemming a few misdiagnoses. A fine doctor finally correctly diagnosed that problem and is being treated accordingly. Of course, all this had to be explained for my FAA medicals.

Now I have a new story that alarmed me because of the possible ramifications on the FAA medical.

A few months ago. I visited a new ophthalmologist. I have another atypical difficult case of vision loss in 1 eye, so we discussed possible causes. He asked if I get any headaches, and I answered no. He proceeded to tell me how his wife suffers from frequent migraines, and gave a lengthy description of the auras she gets. I said I don't experience anything like that. We finished up the exam and scheduled a visit a month later. Upon return visit, Doctor was reading his notes and asked me if I am "still" getting squiggly streaking lines and flashes in my eyes (describing auras). I told him I have never experienced those symptoms. Apparently the doctor has written migraines into his notes, and maybe listed it on insurance coding. Now I will have something else to explain to the FAA. My quandary is how to ask the doctors to be discreet about what they write into my medical records without sounding like I am trying to hide something. Particularly when we are still in the exploratory phase marked by those familiar; "maybe, could be, possible or perhaps" terms I have heard so many times expressed by my doctors. Maybe this is acceptable for most individuals, but being a pilot makes it concerning.

I think one would have a difficult time explaining a vision loss in one eye to the FAA regardless of whether the ophthalmologist put down a tentative diagnosis or not. Any neurological event is a problem without a diagnosis as far as the FAA is concerned. Hopefully the doctor can find the correct diagnosis, but one is grounded until then with a symptom of “atypical loss of vision in one eye”.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back